Foot powered washer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Foot powered washer

Drumi: Here's a foot pedal-powered washing machine that doesn't need electricity
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I saw that on Facebook! Hummm, isn't that why there's laundromats and quarters
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
It would be a vast improvement over the washboard, which I have used.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #4

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Still in the works

I saw it too but it is still in the works and not available in stores yet. I saw that you can pre-purchase it for a great price but if I remember correctly, they will not start to ship until next Spring!
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'd rather put quarters in a machine. I can carry a lot of quarters in place of some sort of machine.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My thought "you only have to pedal for 5 minutes", ah, I know that doesn't sound that long but it sort of is. We have a Wonder Wash but we don't use it. Got it for a good price as a "just in case". I have a recommended spinner on my Amazon wish list. Quarters do add up. I have been replacing clothing with ease of wash and dry for some time now.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
'Washes 7 garments per load cost $169'

This would be another item to take up space that you'd have to use every day to keep up with the laundry. 7 garments a wash, maybe one sheet a wash, cute but makes no sense.

We spend about $6 a week on laundry, done in a couple of hours. The $169 purchase price is about 6 months of laundry for us.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I saw that on Facebook! Hummm, isn't that why there's laundromats and quarters
Depends on where you camp. No laundromats within 30-60 minutes from where we mostly camp.

I just take enough clothes to last a week, or so. If on a longer trip than that, I am totally up with using my coins in a machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
It would be a vast improvement over the washboard, which I have used.
I dunno. I have used a washboard, and it would be just as fast and effective as this device, plus way easier to store. I think I might like to use my arms, than keep pumping with my foot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I agree, this thing makes no sense whatsoever. Laundromats are plentiful and convenient, that is what we do. If I was boondocking without my wife supervising, I would just throw my stuff in the river and weigh it down with a stone, go for a hike and be done when I return. YMMV.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #10

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
We try to avoid all artificial fragrances, so laundromats are a place of horror for us. Our clothing comes out smelling like everybody else's detergent and laundry softener, and all that chemical residue ends up on our skin. It usually takes three or four washings to get all that gunk out. So, a small washer of our own would be of great interest.

The inconvenience I see with this one is that it appears to need access to a floor drain. While our laundry detergent is fully biodegradable (bio-beneficial, as far as that goes), I don't want to risk the stink-eye from other people who would naturally assume I am dumping hazardous waste on the ground. Floor drains aren't all that common in the wild.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #11

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
It's the spinning I wonder about. Does it really spin hard enough to not require wringing out by hand? I hate the latter.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Depends on where you camp. No laundromats within 30-60 minutes from where we mostly camp.

I just take enough clothes to last a week, or so. If on a longer trip than that, I am totally up with using my coins in a machine.
Jim,

Interesting thought about clothes for a week. I never stopped to think how long our clothes would last without washing. I imagine the limiting factor without washing anything out is the underwear. When it's warm we rarely wear socks, we carry 3 pairs of jeans, numerous pairs of shorts, t-shirts and jerseys. We probably carry more clothes than most because we can see a fair variety of climates in 6-7 months of travel.

Our limit is usually food with our small fridge. To solve that when out we carry a number of foods sources that do not require refrigeration or are high density foods.

In Newfoundland every provincial park has a nice little laundry so we're never too far, even in low density population areas, from a spotless laundry.

As well we're not to conscious of other people's detergents and softeners and generally stop at any laundry or for that matter 'almost' any shower.

It always amazes me that when we're home the washer and dryer are regular use items. On the road we survive happily doing laundry no more than once a week, using two machines. Road living is different and can be easier.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Wear your clothes in the campground shower then take them back to camp and hang them on the line. Your camping not doing laundry your supposed to leave the house hold chores at home.

Full timers need to go to the laundry mat, they need someone else to talk to to keep their sanity.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Wear your clothes in the campground shower then take them back to camp and hang them on the line. Your camping not doing laundry your supposed to leave the house hold chores at home.

Full timers need to go to the laundry mat, they need someone else to talk to to keep their sanity.
"You are camping, not doing laundry" Yup.
"You are supposed to leave the house hold chores at home" Maybe
"Full timers need to go to the laundry mat, they someone else to talk to to keep their sanity" Dead wrong.

Any camping over two week usually requires washing clothes and laundry mats. Talking to some else in a laundry mat doesn't really happen much. Most interactions with people occur in campgrounds.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #15

Florida
Talking in Laundry Mats

Actually we do our laundry every time we're in an Escapee park. Ginny finds she always gets a lot of good 'place and eating' tips from other people who travel, of course Ginny is a talker. As well Escapee parks charge very little for laundry and they are spotless.

Other than there we do it whenever it's needed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16