Ford Agrees to Expand F-150 Recall by 1 Million Vehicles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ford Agrees to Expand F-150 Recall by 1 Million Vehicles

Informational for those driving Ford F-150s. I do, but mine is not in the recall years.

The Definitive Car and Auto News Blog - Exhaust Notes - MSN Autos
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Bummer, mines too old.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny B
Not a recall but a major problem, save yourself!

If you have a Ford F150 2004-06 check out this video I posted on YouTube about the plugs welding themselves to the block if you don't change them soon enough. If you are unlucky, and we were, the plugs will break while removing them, something will fall into your engine and you will have to tear it down or replace it.

Full-timing, we pulled our new 09 Casita 17SD for 6 months with a 2004 Ford F150 before paying $1400 for a tune-up and then turning around and replacing the engine. We got rid of the Ford and got an old 1994 Chevy Suburban. Full-timed another 12 months, never had a problem with the old Chev.

In the end we calculated it cost us $1 a mile to drive the Ford F150. BEWARE!!!

YouTube - mrjohnnybiscuit's Channel
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I bought a new Chevy K-1500 in 2006. It had the heaviest trailer tow package, V8 engine, automatic transmission, and lower geared .370 axle that Chevrolet offered that year. It was “rated” to tow a trailer weighing over 8,000lbs. I loved the little truck. But it struggled to tow my 5,500lb Bigfoot. The engine had plenty of power but it was not useable because the transmission would downshift and over speed the engine with the application of more than about 25% throttle. In addition it did not have the suspension to handle the weight of the trailer safely. There is no way that thing would tow an 8,000lb + trailer.

The voltage regulator on GM trucks is or was built in to the alternator. To increase fuel mileage it does not engage the alternator unless the electrical system is under a load. The belt pulley just spins freely. The service manager at the dealership where I purchased the truck told me that if the battery was low I could start the truck and let it sit and idle all night long. In the morning the battery would be dead because the alternator was not charging. Turning on the headlights creates a sufficient load to engage the alternator. The upshot of that is that unless the headlights are on the trailer battery is receiving no charge. It was a beautiful little truck but it simply could not handle the trailer. I was forced to trade it off after one year and 29,000 miles because of that.

There was one other irritating factor: General Motors vehicles do not disconnect the vehicle battery from the trailer circuit when you shut the engine off. You have to remember to unplug the trailer from the truck when you stop for the night or the trailer will drain the truck battery and it may not start the next morning. More than once I would forget to plug the trailer back in and then realize I was driving without trailer lights so I would have to pull over and plug it back in. My fault but still irritating.

Last year I bought a new Ford f-150. I ordered the heavy trailer tow package suspension with V8 engine, .373 rear axle and the new six speed trailer tow transmission. That transmission is the cat’s meow. It handles the engine power without improper shifting and is smooth as silk. I am now pulling a heavier 25’ Bigfoot. If I want to I can pull it 75 mph easily. I have 26,000 miles on this truck. It has none of the problems mentioned about the Chevrolet above.

They are both good trucks but for me and for trailer towing I like the Fords much better. If you get a recall that means they will fix the problem.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
If you have a Ford F150 2004-06 check out this video I posted on YouTube about the plugs welding themselves to the block if you don't change them soon enough. If you are unlucky, and we were, the plugs will break while removing them, something will fall into your engine and you will have to tear it down or replace it.

Full-timing, we pulled our new 09 Casita 17SD for 6 months with a 2004 Ford F150 before paying $1400 for a tune-up and then turning around and replacing the engine. We got rid of the Ford and got an old 1994 Chevy Suburban. Full-timed another 12 months, never had a problem with the old Chev.

In the end we calculated it cost us $1 a mile to drive the Ford F150. BEWARE!!!

YouTube - mrjohnnybiscuit's Channel
I just want to point out that certain years of the "modular" engine have on occasion had the plugs( on the extension below the threads) become stuck due to deposit build up. This is not the same as the much more common gauling which occurs on all makes between the threads of the plugs and aluminum heads. For this reason anti-seize compounds would be ineffective.

There is a special extraction tool made to remove the broken section of the plug, which is very successful, in part due to the bridge anode design. Tear down is usually made necessary only by efforts at removal without the tool and can, in most cases, be avoided by using the extraction tool after bringing the piston to TDC.
I only say this to inform those with these engines, and to advise them be sure their mechanic is informed before the commencement of a plug change.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Indiana
If a mechanic gave me a bill of $1,400.00 for a tuneup I would either shoot him on the spot or just tell him to keep the truck.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny B
I like happy people

Ford's recall is on their airbags, not the motor. The motor problem right now is customer's responsibility. That troubles me. Like Floyd says, there is a solution, but it's tricky even when you know about it and if it goes wrong the costs are substantial. So I raise a red flag.

Make sure you use a VERY good mechanic that you TRUST when you get a tune-up for your Ford F150 2004-06 Triton 5.4L V-8. Also Mustangs with this motor.

When I had a problem both the repair shop and the Ford dealer that worked on it told me it was my responsibility. The Ford dealer that scoped the blown motor in Denver the fault was either the (name brand) repair shop, or the Ford dealer they took it to, one of their fault. They told me they could fix it for $8500. Guess who paid?

At this point there are over 30,000 hits and pages of comments on my YouTube video of the plugs . I am not the only one.

I am trying to save someone a helluva lot of money. I lost $5000 over this, and that was after my son-in-law installed the motor himself so we wouldn't have to pay the labor. It took a lot of work. I am trying to save someone else from having to go through what I went through.

These are popular trucks for good reason. It had a great ride, great suspension, good power; it was great. But there is a design issue in the motor and up to this point Ford has decided the consequences are the owner's responsibility. That may change. I hope it does.

As always in life, caveat emptor, "Let the buyer beware." We are always our own responsibility. Educate yourself, save yourself.

Just last week, DETROIT (AP) — The President and CEO of Ford Motor Co. received a pay package valued at $26.5 million in 2010, up 48 percent from 2009, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.
And Bill Ford got nearly as much. Over $25 million.

I don't want to be political, but this isn't magic. I helped them keep $8500 of that over a tune-up. And so did a bunch of other people.
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

Indiana
You probably should have bought a Toyota, at least when they mess up they'll fix it.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I'm pretty sure Ford did not take Bail out money and they are profitable again.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

Indiana
You're right, Ford was the only big three that did not take the bail out.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
Ford's recall is on their airbags, not the motor. The motor problem right now is customer's responsibility. That troubles me. Like Floyd says, there is a solution, but it's tricky even when you know about it and if it goes wrong the costs are substantial. So I raise a red flag.

Make sure you use a VERY good mechanic that you TRUST when you get a tune-up for your Ford F150 2004-06 Triton 5.4L V-8. Also Mustangs with this motor.

When I had a problem both the repair shop and the Ford dealer that worked on it told me it was my responsibility. The Ford dealer that scoped the blown motor in Denver the fault was either the (name brand) repair shop, or the Ford dealer they took it to, one of their fault. They told me they could fix it for $8500. Guess who paid?

At this point there are over 30,000 hits and pages of comments on my YouTube video of the plugs . I am not the only one.

I am trying to save someone a helluva lot of money. I lost $5000 over this, and that was after my son-in-law installed the motor himself so we wouldn't have to pay the labor. It took a lot of work. I am trying to save someone else from having to go through what I went through.

These are popular trucks for good reason. It had a great ride, great suspension, good power; it was great. But there is a design issue in the motor and up to this point Ford has decided the consequences are the owner's responsibility. That may change. I hope it does.

As always in life, caveat emptor, "Let the buyer beware." We are always our own responsibility. Educate yourself, save yourself.

Just last week, DETROIT (AP) — The President and CEO of Ford Motor Co. received a pay package valued at $26.5 million in 2010, up 48 percent from 2009, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.
And Bill Ford got nearly as much. Over $25 million.

I don't want to be political, but this isn't magic. I helped them keep $8500 of that over a tune-up. And so did a bunch of other people.
30,000 hits may seem to be a lot, but the 4.6 triton engine had been used, in one form or another, in the most popular squad car, the most popular truck, and the most popular taxi, the most popular full sized car, and the venerable Mustang, for more than 15years.
The problem is frustrating and regretable, but managable.
Without the tool,which cost $110, I would have found head removal inevitable. The removal tool changed the impossible into the simple on the Mustang....On an Econoline however....

Air bags are both dangerous and unnecessary when proper restraints are used in a modern vehicle. Upon hearing this news, I harkened back to childhood memories of someone sneaking up behind you and popping their paper lunchbag to startle you, this is like that, only orders of magnitude worse and on steroids!
Also remeniscent of "Poppin Hoppies"... sort of the "Poppin Hoppies" from hell!
poppin hoppies - Yahoo! Video Search
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Watch your speed

Bruce H said:
"Last year I bought a new Ford f-150. I ordered the heavy trailer tow package suspension with V8 engine, .373 rear axle and the new six speed trailer tow transmission. That transmission is the cat’s meow. It handles the engine power without improper shifting and is smooth as silk. I am now pulling a heavier 25’ Bigfoot. If I want to I can pull it 75 mph easily. I have 26,000 miles on this truck. It has none of the problems mentioned about the Chevrolet above."

If you do, you better be in one of these states: AZ, CO, NE, NV, NM, SD, UT, or WY, the only states where it is legal to do so.

AK, CA, DE, DC, GA, HI, IL, ME, MI, MS, NH, NJ, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, and VA all limit vehicles towing to 55 mph. .

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Bruce H said:
"Last year I bought a new Ford f-150. I ordered the heavy trailer tow package suspension with V8 engine, .373 rear axle and the new six speed trailer tow transmission. That transmission is the cat’s meow. It handles the engine power without improper shifting and is smooth as silk. I am now pulling a heavier 25’ Bigfoot. If I want to I can pull it 75 mph easily. I have 26,000 miles on this truck. It has none of the problems mentioned about the Chevrolet above."

If you do, you better be in one of these states: AZ, CO, NE, NV, NM, SD, UT, or WY, the only states where it is legal to do so.

AK, CA, DE, DC, GA, HI, IL, ME, MI, MS, NH, NJ, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, and VA all limit vehicles towing to 55 mph. .

Illinois just changed to to 65MPH on interstates a year or two ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #14

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Bruce H said:

you forgot Tx, we have all kinds of speed limits.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
New info today, expanding recall to include the year of my F-150

Ford Expands Safety Recall - MSN Autos
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #16

Indiana
Lucky you, they still need to go back another 10 yrs to get mine.