Forest River R Pod reviews?? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #61

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
marks case

mark presents a strange case at 6f 8in I don't know of a camper in the 13f range that will work for him unless he can locate one that has been torn apart for a remodel.

then he could redo it with the bed running the other way. I don't know if anyone has done this?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #62

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If he hasn't grown, Mark claims 6' 5" in his 1st post. Ignore the objections, then check out the Little Guy Max, which claims 6' 7" interior height. Like a modified teardrop it has a 1 piece fiberglass roof. You are buying a place to eat, sleep, clean up, and make memories. It doesn't need to last 50 years. I won't last 50 years, don't know about you.

I think it is part of Parkliner family.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #63

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
in a casita/scamp sized 13' trailer, the bed would have to run the long way, and use almost all of the 8-9' long box as they are only about 6'6" wide on the outside... normal crosswise beds in those are maybe 72-73" long.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #64

Missouri
doable

well then our scamper beds are doable!!

bob
Old 03-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #65

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The Little Guy Max is around $30k.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #66

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Good point, Mike. For $30,000, perhaps it should last 50 years.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #67

Mid Left Coast
for $30k, it should be really well equipped, well insulated, and virtually brand new.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6npu48qzFzgoT2h73
Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #68

Missouri
50 years for a camper

our scamper is a 95 in its condition I see no reason it wont go to 50 if the next owners give it any care at all.

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #69

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Forest River R Pod reviews??

Mark,

For your situation, I would highly recommend attending some rallies, stepping inside
some trailers, and talking with the owners.

At Eggshells on the Outer Banks, there were RPODs, TABs, and MAXs.
Camp Snoozy has been held in November. Green Eggs & Ham happens near
Montgomery in a couple of weeks. LBL happens in early October, is only a few hours from you, and Piney Campground has primitive cabins for rent. With a wide variety of trailer brands & models usually
attending, LBL could be a great rally for
you.

We had a tall friend who bought a Wolf Pup and headed for Colorado. On that trip, the
siding started peeling off his brand new trailer.

Experiencing actual trailers and talking to owners might be very helpful to you.

Best of luck to you!

Ray (also from the “Show Me” state)
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #70

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
At the risk of alienation, and after 3 years of researching, I have about come to the conclusion that I will never be able to afford or justify the cost of a nice used fiberglass RV. No need to waste your breathe, I've heard all the arguments, but $15K-25K is too much for a recreational toy on my very modest income and savings. I would love a Lil Snoozy or Egg Camper, not to mention a Oliver or Bigfoot that cost half a house, but it's never going to happen without winning the lottery. An 11 yr. old Lil Snoozy just sold on here for $15K.
My main criteria are accommodating my 6"5" frame (which rules out 90% of models, but I will insist on being able to stand up straight and sleep comfortably), AC/Heat, and around 2,000 lbs. and 19' or less. Everything else is whistles and bells to me.
Right now there are two 2010 Forest River R Pod 171 online for $8K. They are very similar to Lil Snoozy in shape and layout, and fits my criteria. No wood in frame to rot, with aluminum sides and one fiberglass piece that forms front, top, and back. I'm not concern about resale value on a $8K investment, if I can use it 10-15 years than I feel like I got my money's worth.
I have read a few negative reviews about minor issues with the R Pods but nothing too major. I understand you get what you pay for - I don't expect a Cadillac - just something that is functional and will last for many years.
I would appreciate anyone with some firsthand knowledge of the Forest River R Pod 171 - no foldouts. I've research all types to death, and it's time to make a move on buying something. I'm single, tired of tent camping, and hotels get expensive travelling alone, and I plan to travel 1-2 months at a time when I retire is a few short years. I want to make the purchase and do any modifications before taking long trips. This will be my first and last RV purchase.
Almost exactly my situation except I'm not 6`5 but I am 5"11 barefoot ! I can afford a FGRV but not sure if I can justify it........how much will I use it, will my kids and friends use it, how much will the total cost over the years be, how much work will it be, will I be able to maintain it or have to pay someone, what if I buy a used one and there are major issues I didn't know about.....???
I have wanted one for the last 20+ years and since I can now afford one, I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide, just so much to consider and choices....so many choices !!!
Last summer I took a road trip, sat up my tent and took it down 8 times, on my trek back home I pissed around and headed out late, couldn't find a place to camp and got too tired to keep driving, ugh, slept in my car at a rest stop and decided "that's it, I'm buying a little camper"......... well I'm still as perplexed as I have been the last few years of searching !!!!!
So Missouri Mike, make sure you post what you choose, I can't wait to see your decision !!!

Shirley
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnupnorthbrrr View Post
So Missouri Mike, make sure you post what you choose, I can't wait to see your decision !!!

Shirley
Don't hold your breath.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #72

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Yep Shirley, I've made my last tent vacation, besides everything else, I don't sleep well anymore in a tent. I almost regret not pulling the trigger on 2 different trailers for sale on here in the past 3 yrs. since I found this site. Appreciate all the advice, insight, and experiences.
I've made a major decision - I'm retiring next yr., and soon buying a small home. My financial picture has changed so I will have to tighten the belt, which means a cheaper alternative for my trailer. As financial reality sets in, I am starting to think of just sucking it up and not be able to stand erect - sure are a lot more and cheaper options. I've seen tons of older, smaller scamps and casitas on here for $6-8K, and if it's basically going to be a bedroom, I can stoop over getting in and out. I know I'll spend my idle time sitting around my outside campsite. On rainy days, I guess I could find a library or something. I'm never going to justify $15K plus on my budget. But I still hope to buy a fiberglass, only now going to look for a older one, as long as I can l have a bed, it's dry, and road worthy, I think I can make it work.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #73

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
My main criteria are accommodating my 6"5" frame (which rules out 90% of models, but I will insist on being able to stand up straight and sleep comfortably), AC/Heat, and around 2,000 lbs. and 19' or less. Everything else is whistles and bells to me.

Right now there are two 2010 Forest River R Pod 171 online for $8K. They are very similar to Lil Snoozy in shape and layout, and fits my criteria. No wood in frame to rot, with aluminum sides and one fiberglass piece that forms front, top, and back. I'm not concern about resale value on a $8K investment, if I can use it 10-15 years than I feel like I got my money's worth.
I looked them up, RP-171's are about 2400 lbs dry/empty, and 3300 lbs gross/max. the bed is 60x74, so thats just 6'2" long, at 6'5, you'll be sleeping diagonally, which is fine if you're solo, not so fine if you're 2-up.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #74

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnupnorthbrrr View Post
Almost exactly my situation except I'm not 6`5 but I am 5"11 barefoot ! I can afford a FGRV but not sure if I can justify it........how much will I use it, will my kids and friends use it, how much will the total cost over the years be, how much work will it be, will I be able to maintain it or have to pay someone, what if I buy a used one and there are major issues I didn't know about.....???
I have wanted one for the last 20+ years and since I can now afford one, I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide, just so much to consider and choices....so many choices !!!
Shirley

I have stopped trying to justify everything. In the end, its hard to "justify" just about any purchase. Do I need a TV? Or a cell phone? Or a workshop? Or a ...?

Not really. And some things I thought I wanted I ended up not really using, so I went ahead and sold them, lost on every transaction. But if I waited until I was "sure", I would have missed out on a lot of things I actually ended up enjoying, a lot!

Have a budget that makes sense for YOU. Then go to a rally and look at some brands, talk to owners. Of course, everyone pretty much likes what they have, but they will explain benefits over other brands. Collect those thoughts and decide what works best for your situation.

Don't be afraid of making a mistake. The great news on molded fiberglass trailers is they hold their value quite well. We make a mistake and bought a Casita. It just didn't work for us (Casitas work just fine for others!). So we sold it at a minimal loss and bought something that works better. You are not stuck with mistakes. Only stubborn people are stuck with mistakes!

Its like the old saying, perfection is the enemy of progress. Don't let making sure you make the perfect decision get in the way of just getting out and doing it.

I no longer measure myself against such a rule, never make a mistake. What I have learned is when I make a mistake, just move on. In the case of RVs, that means sell it and get something else, or get out of camping.

Nothing wrong with buying a new one either! Do realize you will be waiting a while if you go new, but thats OK too.

Do you like driving? Do you like camping? What about by yourself, are you an adventurer? Do you have any friends that are campers?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #75

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Very well said Bill. Life is short. If you want to do it, do it.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #76

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
All the comments above continue to support that old adage that in many instances:

"Wanting is a Much Greater Joy than Having"

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #77

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Mark, one way to pinch pennies on a trailer would be to buy a cargo trailer and outfit it the way you want. For occasional trips it could work. Just a thought.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #78

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Mark, one way to pinch pennies on a trailer would be to buy a cargo trailer and outfit it the way you want. For occasional trips it could work. Just a thought.
My son did what you suggested and it worked well .
He sold it two years later at a profit.
FG trailers are a luxury and they are expensive so I understand why some people are apprehensive to pull the trigger.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #79

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Yep Shirley, I've made my last tent vacation, besides everything else, I don't sleep well anymore in a tent. I almost regret not pulling the trigger on 2 different trailers for sale on
I've made a major decision - I'm retiring next yr., and soon buying a small home. My financial picture has changed so I will have to tighten the belt, which means a cheaper alternative for my trailer. As financial reality sets in, I am starting to think of just sucking it up and not be able to stand erect
I've seen tons of older, smaller scamps and casitas on here for $6-8K, and if it's basically going to be a bedroom, I can stoop over getting in and out. I know I'll spend my idle time sitting around my outside campsite. On rainy days, I guess I could find a library or something.

... as long as I can l have a bed, it's dry, and road worthy, I think I can make it work.
That's reasonable, but at 6'5", I think you're still faced with a bed length problem. Check the options out pretty thoroughly. I mostly sleep on my side, a little curled, but when I've been in beds that have solid walls or such, at feet and head that are less than my length, it's not been comfortable, and diagonal can only go so far to make it work. Good luck.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #80

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita Liberty. Longways sleeping. Lots of them around at various price points. The 17' has a bit more headroom and (I think) a longer bed than the 16'. Headroom comes up short, but the bed should be fine (84" IIRC). With only one person, you could widen one twin for sleeping and use the other side for lounging and eating.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote