Found 1987 13 foot Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2003, 10:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Found 1987 13 foot Scamp

Just purchased a 1987 13 foot Scamp about 3 miles from my house here in Tacoma WA. I had been looking for this or a comparable Casita for awhile and found that they were about unobtainable.

The man I bought this Scamp had two phones and they were both ringing cobnstantly while I was there with questions about the Scamp. A newspaper ad got lots of action on this trailer.

The Scamp was used in Fairbanks Alaska at Eielson Air Force Base as a rental to the Air Force personnel there. About 1996 or so it was sold to civilian use. The Scamp has that black spray-on plastic that they use on pickup truck beds on the lower front end.... obviously to cover the gravel rash common in Alaska.

I rate it a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale. It is in good but not great condition. Plenty of service left in this one. It will polish out well.

This Scamp has an overhead JENSEN ASTRO EXIT VENT 15.5 by 22.5 inches which needs replacing. Does anybody know if that is original ? The torsion suspension looks a little flat. Any advice on what to do about this?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:08 AM   #2

Hi Richard
Welcome to this forum.

As for New to you RV--Have fun with it.I don't own a Scamp so can't help but one of our fine members will jump in and be of help.:wave

Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 AM   #3

Hi, Richard, and welcome! I replaced the exit vent on my 1987 Scamp 13 and discussed it a little on this forum. Type "exit vent" in the Search feature and see if this helps.
And I don't have torsion suspension - so sorry.
Don't hesistate to ask any other questions that may arise. We all love to yak about having been there, done that.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:43 AM   #4

Torsion suspension

:wave
The torsion suspension axles used on most 13' FGTT's was made by Dexter Axle and is very common. The Canadian manufacturer under licence is Standen Spring & Steering in Calgary, Alberta. These are built with a square shaft running through the center of a molded-in- place rubber insert inside the outside axle tube. They are not known to fail. If they do, there is no way to fix it, but it has to be replaced. I have had two of them and had no problems with either of them. Hope this helps.
CHEERS

Tags
scamp