Found a Casita for sale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Art
Trailer: looking to obstain one (scamp, casita open to suggestions/'help)
Florida
Found a Casita for sale

I need an opinion. I came across a Casita deluxe 17 feet that has been retitled by the insurance company due to flooding during storage. I did visit to see it. Everything was pretty much brand new. The three lights over the dining table did not work which concerned me. The dealer said they'd fix it. There was no budging on the price. Of ~12,000 dollars. Opinions?
ArtinTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
What yr ?
What Model?
What options?
Need more info
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Forget it. Items with titles branded flood damage are nearly unsellable. Call a car dealer and tell them you have a like new car to trade in but it has a flood damage title. The design of the Casita floor makes flood damage worse. Its basically a bath tub, with fiberglass under everything. So once water gets into the floor area, it has no place to escape. Consider the floor under the bathroom, kitchen appliances, water tank, etc.

For $12,000 you can find one with a clean title. Run away.

Dealer = funny. Call another dealer in your area, asking to sell "your" flood damaged title Casita, and ask them how does a flood title affect value?

No reputable dealer is going to sell RVs with flood damage salvaged titles. Flood damage can and will result in electrical problems and gremlins that will aggravate you for years to come.

More fun, go to your local bank and ask them how much they will loan you on a salvaged flood Casita.

https://www.rvda.org/RVDA/Media/News...od_Damage.aspx

Full disclosure: I did buy a truck with a salvage title (not flood). It had been in an accident, I bought from a rebuilder who had pictures of the vehicle when he got it. Discount was basically 50% off. I kept it for many, many years. When it did come time to sell it, it was basically unsellable.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Florida
2011, Casita Spirit Deluxe. My concern is that it was flooded and price
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

Registry
No budging on a flood damaged RV = hilarious. Don't suck into it.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Florida
Been rebuilt... Everything is new... Makes me nervous.. thanks for the input...
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Flood damage

You want it to rot like a stick-built? Run away, and quickly!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

Florida
Thanks for the input... It was worth the visit to get a first hand feel how it looks like. I think I am giving up on used and contacting Casita. I need to find out if they deliver like Scamp does. I prefer Scamp but it's a year wait vs 4 months if I go with Casita.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #9

Registry
I had a Casita Liberty, if I was to get a Casita again, I'd get the Spirit model instead, a somewhat smaller bed instead but the side dinette. I didn't fully appreciate that somewhere to sit without taking up the bed is pretty important! And if the bed size got to be a problem, I could have set up the dinette quickly as a small twin.

As far as options, I'd get vinyl flooring for sure (carpet is a bad idea in a camper), furnace, fan for refrigerator, and awning. I visited the Casita factory a few years ago, I was surprised at the prices for new trailers (less than I had thought).

I found the cushion shape of the rear dinette to not be comfortable at all. Meanwhile, I have tried out the side dinette seats and it was fine.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #10

Florida
I am as considering the side dinette model. Besides not having to convert the bed to table and vice versa while camping, it will sleep one friend. Air conditioning is not an option in Florida so that's top of the list. What is fan for the refrigerator? I agree with vinyl flooring. The reason i lean to Scamp is that Casita has some kind of wall carpet. I think it could be a problem over time with scents.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinTampa View Post
I am as considering the side dinette model. Besides not having to convert the bed to table and vice versa while camping, it will sleep one friend. Air conditioning is not an option in Florida so that's top of the list. What is fan for the refrigerator? I agree with vinyl flooring. The reason i lean to Scamp is that Casita has some kind of wall carpet. I think it could be a problem over time with scents.
Art, any camper can be shipped. The builders don't do it but can be set up through outside shippers that they have used before but you pay the bill. The fan is generally an ox fan installed in the rear of the refer to push heat up and out for better refer cooling. From my own experience with my SDs carpeted walls, no problem with odors. Now if you were to fry some fish.....
Mine also has the factory floor carpet and have to say it's a better covering for me because I mostly boondock. It's very short knapped and vacuums up easily and anything you may miss doesn't hurt as bad during a night time barefoot trip to the head .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #12

Registry
Last time I looked, Casita came standard with AC. What was optional was the furnace. I guess that is part of being in Texas. Meanwhile, on an Escape trailer, built in British Columbia, furnace is standard and AC is optional. And on Scamp, pretty much everything is optional, but the base price starts lower, so you can really pick and choose what makes sense to you.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #13

Florida
I checked Casita website and air conditioning is optional. I'll be calling both Casita and Scamp today and hopefully not get overwhelmed and make a decision. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #14

Registry
I'd check on this used one. I can't believe its still around.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...uxe-86921.html
Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #15

Registry
Roof mount AC standard on 17 Deluxe according to Casita website. Its an option on standard (no bathroom) model. Of course, anything on the web is subject to change. Maybe they changed it to optional to hold down the price.

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/fea...ison/#tab-id-6
Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #16

Florida
What's the link? Located?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinTampa View Post
What's the link? Located?
It’s in the classified section. Posting links via phone is too clunky for me anyway. Don’t delay, I sold my Casita that was older and not as nice for more $$ in four hours...
Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #18

Florida
Where in classified section...
Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #19

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
The “wall carpeting” is essential to prevent humidity from dripping inside. The amount of moisture generated by using propane (furnace, stove) is surprising.

Go ahead and put a deposit on either or both new Casita and Scamp. Then something good, used, will appear, and you get your deposit(s) back on the new ones if you grab the used quickly. I did, sight unseen, and it turned out extremely well for me.

Good luck!
Wendy W.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #20

Florida
Thank you for your time and information! I put a deposit on a Casita ������

Tags
casita, for sale