Found another one to look at.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Found another one to look at....Scam or not?

Thanks to all that offered input on the Boler yesterday....I decided (and Donna D. agreed), that everything happens for a reason....that reason popped up an hour after that decision. I think (if I can find someone to go with me on a 4 hour trek) that I am going to look at a 1985 Scamp tomorrow. The seller is asking $1200....they describe it as a Scamp 13', has new carpet and floors, a new AC (in it's own little box up frony), and a new 2" ball hitch. I called and spoke with the lady selling it (had two numbers listed in the ad) and got directions to the house (turn at the red house and we are across from the church kind of directions).....the lady that answered the phone, wasn't the one selling it, and the one selling it passed it back to the lady that answered the phone to give directions.... Anyway, she texted me a couple of pics and it is a 16' trailer...the ad says they are upgrading to something bigger. When I spoke to her, she confirmed the price was right in the ad (though maybe it was a typo) she said she and her husband just like to renovate vintage campers and wanted to list it at a reasonable price and pass on a good camper. I called an hour after it was listed and was the first response????? SO....my question it....too good to be true? Obviously it isn't your typical scam (if it even is one at all)....just nervous about driving so far and finding it is all for naught....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #2

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Some people measure just the body, but a 16' scamp measures about 13' body 16' hitch to bumper. My VT was advertised as a13' UHaul and priced accordingly. My brother in law thought he was going after a 13' scamp and it turned out to be a 16'.
My advice is go go go look and be prepared to jump on it for that price if it is even-in fair shape.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You go! If you think you'll be towing the trailer home, be sure to find out what kind of electric-to-tug plug it has. You'll want the tail lights to work!

Let us know how it goes.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sounds like you stumbled onto a bargain. Good luck and post pictures!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Go today,,,, if at all possible, or they might decide to sell it before you get there. I've known of may buyers who will offer to pay a few hundred more than the advertised price just to get in ahead of another appointment. Then they come in, and purchase it out from under the original caller. Good luck on the hunt!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Go today,,,, if at all possible, or they might decide to sell it before you get there. I've known of may buyers who will offer to pay a few hundred more than the advertised price just to get in ahead of another appointment. Then they come in, and purchase it out from under the original caller. Good luck on the hunt!
Good advice. This appears to be a great bargain.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Free Advice:
1. Don't wait until tomorrow, go NOW. We drove over 300 miles to AZ to pick up a Scamp and had it sold out from under us when we were only 10 minutes away from the sellers house.
2. Grab a set of inexpensive magnetic stick-on trailer lights. They wil always work and, if you don't use them, they can usually be returned (?)
3. Be careful about aged out tires and wheel bearings that haven't been taken care of in maybe 10 years. That 5 hour tow home can be at considerable risk.
4. A 16' Scamp is a lot heavier than a 13', can you tow the extra weight?
5. A small red flag: If the husband knows about restoring small RV's why is he selling it for about 1/3 the usual going price?
Good Luck and remember "He who hesitates is still looking"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #8

Minnesota
I wondered the same thing. Husband called me this morning and clarified a few things....it is a restoration in progress and isn't finished on the inside but is still useable....we are towinfg with a trailblazer so should be ok...and they promised they would hold it...i am about halfway there are they could not show it til noon. I made my dad come along in case there were issues on the way home.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
I wondered the same thing. Husband called me this morning and clarified a few things....it is a restoration in progress and isn't finished on the inside but is still useable....we are towing with a trailblazer so should be ok...and they promised they would hold it...i am about halfway there are they could not show it til noon. I made my dad come along in case there were issues on the way home.
Unless some thing is really wrong with it, it is a bargain at $1200.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
At that price check the floors, frame, and axle. People are willing to restore interior cosmetics, wiring, plumbing, ect. A rotten floor, bad axle, or rusted frame is a much bigger project. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #11

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
I am sure waiting to hear the outcome of this adventure.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #12

Minnesota
OK. Got in the car at 9am and started on our journey...and what a journey it was. I am not sure what kind of experience this guy had restoring trailers, but I don't think he had ANY experience working with the FG ones. The first thing I saw when I walked in the door was a few bottles of butane fuel, an empty pop bottle and a bunch of pills on the floor. The "new" floor was chipboard. The "new" tile was shimmed but the shims weren't attached, just shoved in. The seal on the door was shag carpet, the overhead cabinet had been removed via sawzall....and half of it was still there. All the wiring had been pulled, all the plumbing and all the gas things had been removed and were back at his house (which is where I thought I was as that's where he told me to come to look at it). The awning that was in the pic he sent was dry rotted, the axle was shot, there were a bazillion holes that were "sealed". The ensolite was on the top half of the walls and the ceiling and had been painted...the bottom half of the wall had been covered in carpet and then painted. The roof vent was a piece of rubber that had been put on top of the hole and caulked around the outside....he said he removed it cuz it leaked and was "shot"....which made me wonder. It might have been fine if I had a clue where to start and had a little more experience with these things, but just getting started, I decided to try to keep it simple. My dad took one look underneath and gave me the signal it was time to leave. All the wires were wrapped around the axle and there was some rot and some chipboard and some other random patches with pieces of wood that were probably odds and ends and were inserted into holes if they "fit"..... I left it there. Hopefully whoever gets it has an idea of what to do to get it back to nice....it had a long ways to go....I don't even think I could justify using it as a tent on wheels. SO.....9 hours later...I arrived back home sans trailer and more than a little disappointed.....but the search continues. Patience is hard for me, but I will have to deal with it until the perfect trailer comes along ( and I am sure it will). Thanks for the advice and for following my adventures today!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

Trailer: Play Pac
Oh crud.... Sorry.. The right one will come.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
BUMMER. File this under lessons learned. I hope you and your dad enjoyed the trip together though. That in itself... you've made a memory.

Chin up.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #15

Minnesota
Yep...we had a good time. I showed him the checklist after we left...he started laughing and said there wasn't a condition category to mark for most of the stuff.....been a long time since we had that much time together....he doesn't talk much, but I do, so all was good.....
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But.... I thought that they send some pics of it before you started on your trip??? Was it the same trailer?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #17

Minnesota
They had texted a couple of pics (I asked for more and they said they'd send them in the morning...they didn't ever send them and I left so early that when I remembered they were going to send them I was already pretty committed to the drive). One was the outside (which clearly shows an awning). When we got there, the awning was nowhere in site (he said it was dry rotted and he threw it out). One bracket was still hanging on the outside, one bracket was inside under a seat. The other pic was of the dinette bed area....I don't think either picture was current at all. Someone bought it as I see it is now marked SOLD. Hopefully I am not bashing someone's (from here) new rig.....
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #18

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
The way it sounds I wouldn't have taken it even if it was free!!
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #19

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
If it is someone here, I really want to see pictures of the before and the renovation process!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #20

Minnesota
Me too!