Found: Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Name: Allan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Oregon
Found: Compact Jr

We did find a Hunter compact Jr sitting in a storage lot. Last license 1999.
The top is up a has holes in the canvas. All parts appear to be there.......
If anyone is looking for a "project" trailer, I'd be willing to locate the owner and test the waters. Doh !! We are in Oregon.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #2

Name: Pamela
Trailer: in the market
Oregon
I'm interested, but have an extreme meager budget. and looking for one with a toilet. Don't know much about these trailers. I'm on the southern coast of OR.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Compact Jr. "project" found

Pam: I have a 1972 Compact Jr. that was sort of a "project" when I started, although I was told (and believed!) it wasn't.

If you want something economical, a Compact Jr. is a great thing to look at, because all of them are from the 1970s.

The cupboards, counters, etc. are made of wood rather than fiberglass. Mine weighs about 1,420 #s with no luggage, etc. in it. This is more than a trailer with fiberglass for cupboards, benches, etc. Then again, I think a Compact Jr. is generally cheaper.

The wood in mine was fine, but some who buy old Compact Jr.s end up replacing every bit of wood in the things. I do NOT recommend starting out with a trailer like that!

The Compact Jr. is a great one for couples; most of the interior can be made into one 3-person-wide 72"-long bed in which the people sleep lengthwise rather than crosswise. The exit is at the foot in the middle, so one person doesn't have to crawl over another to get out.

As a single person with a dog, I've come to leave the bed area set up as two bench-seats and a table. Then at night I don't even bother any more setting up the big bed. I sleep on one "bunk" and my dog on the other!

I bought my ha-ha "completely refurbished" Compact Jr. for I think $2,500 maybe 5 years ago. I probably overpaid. I have heard of them for as low as $800. $5,000 would be about tops, I would think, unless there were a really stellar restoration job.

About the bathroom: the Compact Jr. is 12 feet long. I have come to the conclusion that to get a toilet, you trailer has to be at a minimum 14' long, so maybe that will be a good rule of thumb for you. As for me, I have done what the person that sold it to me recommended---keep a Porta-Potti in one of the storage compartments, and set it in the hallway (between the stove and the icebox) at night. It's been working for me, although in retrospect maybe I'd have bought a longer one, too, just to have a dedicated potty.

If you're shopping around, you might consider what your time frame is and how far you'd travel to get the trailer you want. My guesstimate would be that if I was willing to travel up to 500 miles to get the trailer, I could have pretty much what I wanted within 6 months. But if you want something more local, or more quickly, one would have to accept some compromises.

Any comments by others?

Cory Hilby
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
...And since you're in Southern Oregon, if you can wait, you MUST attend or at least stop by the Oregon Gathering (of small fiberglass RV's) to be held at Bullard's Beach State Park near Bandon. The morning of Saturday July 20th will likely be "trailer tours" time. Everyone opens up their trailer for others to look at it. GREAT chance to see what you want. There are often even a couple of trailers for sale among the participants. And the knowledge that people will share immeasurable. GOTTA go! See "forums" on fiberglassrv.com .
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Oregon
This one will have no toilet. Canvas at top will need to be remade.
will need tires and ?????
I didn't get into yard but with big holes in the canvas, the interior will need completely redone. I couldn't see condition of floor etc......
If the owner can be found, my guess it $500 - $1,000 will buy it but will need many $$ and much work to make useable.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Name: Jan
Trailer: trailerless and hopeful
Oregon
Not trying to horn in on Flutterby's inquiry with Allan, but I'm also in Oregon and want a very inexpensive entry into the fiberglass RVing world. Cory's description of a place for a girl and her dog sounded just right. I'm not afraid of a project if I know it is a project right at the outset, not like Cory's surprise. The Port-a-Pottie options sounds do-able too for a really good price.
This is my first post on this site and I'm blown away at how helpful everybody is and how anxious you all are for everyone to have fun in a little trailer. Sorry I missed that Southern Oregon Coast gathering... are there others coming up. I'm in the Willamette Valley in the Eugene area. I haven't looked up the specson this Hunter, but from the looks of it it seems like it would fall under the 1800-2000lb weight limit pullable by a Subaru Outback.
I wonder what people's experience is with getting wheels repacked and other potential needs to the outsideof the trailer. Things I may not know how to tackle myself, or the parts might be expensive.(with YouTube, all sorts of things are possible to someone mechanically inclined)
Allan, how difficult would it be to check on this further, and or are you already doing that for Flutterby?
I also don't know yet how the site works to give out my phone number or have more direct contact. I'm sure I will learn.
Thanks,
Accordiongirl
Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Jan to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Hope this works out for you. I'd love to meet you at a NOG, check these out: Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV - Oregon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Accordiongirl View Post
Not trying to horn in on Flutterby's inquiry with Allan, but I'm also in Oregon and want a very inexpensive entry into the fiberglass RVing world. Cory's description of a place for a girl and her dog sounded just right. I'm not afraid of a project if I know it is a project right at the outset, not like Cory's surprise. The Port-a-Pottie options sounds do-able too for a really good price.
This is my first post on this site and I'm blown away at how helpful everybody is and how anxious you all are for everyone to have fun in a little trailer. Sorry I missed that Southern Oregon Coast gathering... are there others coming up. I'm in the Willamette Valley in the Eugene area. I haven't looked up the specson this Hunter, but from the looks of it it seems like it would fall under the 1800-2000lb weight limit pullable by a Subaru Outback.
I wonder what people's experience is with getting wheels repacked and other potential needs to the outsideof the trailer. Things I may not know how to tackle myself, or the parts might be expensive.(with YouTube, all sorts of things are possible to someone mechanically inclined)
Allan, how difficult would it be to check on this further, and or are you already doing that for Flutterby?
I also don't know yet how the site works to give out my phone number or have more direct contact. I'm sure I will learn.
Thanks,
Accordiongirl
I'll try to locate the owner and look into it deeper............
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Escape
California
We have a 1973 Compact II trailer that we are just about to post for sale when we spotted this thread, so here it is. We purchased it last year after another member finished refurbishing it. Our plan was for our daughter and pooch to camp with us as well as for occasional friends to use. Our daughter now has a tall fiancÚ and another dog and so plans have changed and we've decided to sell this little trailer so they can choose their own slightly larger one some day.

The Compact II is 13 ft and weighs somewhere between 1720-2020 lbs loaded for use (per the "trailer weights in the real world" table on this forum). It includes a bathroom (no shower), 3-burner stove & oven (oven may not operate, not sure), refrigerator, heater, sink, fresh water tank, grey & black tanks, NEW pop-up canvas/upholstery/curtains/flooring/and some of the cabinets. All opening windows function and are screened. The dinette of course converts to a full bed.

Price is $3695.00 If you would be interested in knowing more, please call us: Ellen & Bret (530) Six Three Seven - 4067

I'm having trouble inserting images. Stay tuned and I'll hope to have them up shortly.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #10

Oregon
Jan Accordiangirl
The above Compact is probably a better deal for you.
The one I found in a lot will need new tires, new fabric, and since it's been rained in, maybe the floor replaced as well as all cabinets..........
Would definitely be at least a year long project for someone who could rebuild the entire trailer........
If you good at woodworking, electrical, plumbing etc...it might work...but I'm guessing it would need to be loaded on a trailer and hauled to wherever...
Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Escape
California
Here are some photos of the Compact II that were taken when we bought the trailer. I'll be taking more and posting the trailer for sale this weekend.
Attached Images