Found Treasure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Removing the front overhead in our 85 Cadet I found a 1985 Canadian 5 cent coin. I hope this was the parting gift by someone in the Canadian finishing plant. A Polish label and Canadian money...I wonder what I will find under the floor

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coin.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	6480
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Nical Captain
Send a message via AIM to Brian Hatfield
[quote]Removing the front overhead in our 85 Cadet I found a 1985 Canadian 5 cent coin. I hope this was the parting gift by someone in the Canadian finishing plant. A Polish label and Canadian money...I wonder what I will find under the floor :ask

Attachment 6480

Well it's worth about 2.5cents US so dont plan on too big a trip funded by your treasure.
It does however reenforce my belief that all of the cadets and captains were assembled in Canada by Nical Inc.
It sounds like your restoration is proceeding well. I received an email from a Leonard Pena asking if I knew where he could get a rear window for his Captain. He is also in the US somewhere, but as yet did not reply to my answer so I dont know where he lives.

You might be interested in knowing (if you dont already ) that I did the entire interior of my caprtain in a light tan, automotive rubber backed carpet. I scraped the entire interior shell to remove all of the original mess and used 3M's super 77 spray adhesive to put it up.
It's lasted two years and shows no sign of coming loose. It also serves as a reasonable insulation for cool evenings and I've had no problem with condensation.
I've also found two, 7" round led brake turn and running lights at Princess Auto here in Sarnia that fit on perfectly. They would also work great on your Cadet if your interested
They bolt on perfectly flat requiring no major work.

Have you heard from Leonard Pena ?

Brian Hatfield
bhatfield9@cogeco.ca
Brian Hatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #3

Hi, Brian: Right now my demolition project is well under way. Restoration is down the road. When all is done I'm going to frame the coin and mount it in a place of honor (honour). I don't think I have heard from Leonard Pena, but if anyone solves the replacement window problem I will give huge thanks.

I'm going to do a re-design of the interior and move the little kitchen to the front. I don't plan on doing a lot of cooking inside and prefer having more room to stretch out with a pillow. The Coleman icebox is damaged and a goner, so I'm thinking about a small 110v replacement. If we need lots of ice (for the beer) we'll bring an ice chest. In the years to come we can't see having more than long weekend trips.

What to put on the walls is on my mind but I have to tackle that foam stuff you know so well.

I've been looking at LED lights at Northern Tool and other places and will likely use LEDs since folks have been singing their praises.

Next task is crawling under and loosening the 8 carriage bolts holding the plywood floor. I'm glad the Cadet is fiberglass underneath.

Don

An hour a day adds up!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Don, watch your tongue weight with the Element. Limit is 150 lbs. Moving the kitchen to the front may threaten that.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Those coins had real silver in em not aluminium My 2.5 cents worth
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Don, watch your tongue weight with the Element. Limit is 150 lbs. Moving the kitchen to the front may threaten that.
Gina: I'm going to use a smaller propane bottle, and if I install a new fresh water tank it will be over the axle. The old water tank was in the storage box on the tongue, which is where the factory installs them. There won't be much of a kitchen...sink and maybe a single burner. I'm going to put the refrig in the standing cabinet over the axle. We don't need to hang clothes, that's what the Element for for.

I will confess...I am thinking down the road a few years to the next fiberglass trailer. There is something infectious about this stuff!