four spice camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

The spices I use in home cooking are:

Main dishes:
Salt
Pepper
Curry
Chili Powder
Cumin
Worchester Sauce
Boullion, usually chicken
Garlic*
Onion*
Sugar*
Vinegar*

Baking: (haven't baked yet on the road)
Sugar
Cinnamon
Vanilla

On fruit salad, in orange juice, in stews:
Angostura Bitters

* - Are these spices?

I don't use much salt. If you can taste it, it's too much.

Being new to RV life, I haven't really selected a take along spice kit. I usually plan what we are going to eat for the week and then take the needed spices along for that menu.

One handy thing is packaged Macaroni and Cheese. Make per directions and then throw whatever in with it and bake for 30 minutes. A good, all purpose base for many dishes.

My cooking philosophy:

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but an onion a day keeps everyone away."

An added thought:

I take prescription medicine and as a result am accumulating many small pill bottles. These would be eggscellent for spices with my handy dandy label machine.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
If you can taste it, it's too much.
then save money and space and don't use any at all

I am the only person on earth that doesn't like pepper.

1. Salt
2. Garlic Salt
3. Italian Seasoning (I am surprised at how many folks use this.. thought I was the only one!)
4. Lawrys seasoned salt.

I also carry garlic paste and dried onions.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
I'm always concerned that if a product contains the word "seasoning" in it, it contains MSG. Anyone else wonder about that?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
if it has MSG it should be listed on the ingredients list.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #25

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Talking

i guess i am the odd one here....i carry salt and pepper shakers but it is dennis who uses them on his food, not me. i have brought containers with oregano, thyme and pickling spice but haven't ever used them. i bring a bottle of chopped garlic in the fridge but that's it. if i was on my own...i would bring garlic and that is it.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
if it has MSG it should be listed on the ingredients list.
Hi Gina, I am concerned that prepared food ingredients are not always advertised in ways that allow the general public to make informed decisions when they make choices. I include myself in the general public category and I do make poor food choices often, but mostly because I like the bad food I buy. But I find this little bit of information an eye opener...

Synonyms for Sodium glutamate,

MSG,
L-glutamic acid, monosodium salt
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
Autolyzed yeast
Whey protein

Description

White crystalline powder.

MSG is the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamic acid.

It is made commercially by the fermentation of molasses, but exists in many products made from fermented proteins, such as soy sauce and hydrolyzed vegetable protein.

The tongue is sensitive to five flavors -- salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and umami, the taste of MSG.

Glutamic acid is a component of many proteins, such as those in dairy products, meat, legumes, and mushrooms. However, only the free form of glutamic acid or glutamates has an effect on the glutamate receptors. When bound to other amino acids in a protein, it does not stimulate glutamate receptors.

Free glutamate exist in certain cheeses (such as parmesan), in tomato products, and in soy sauce. These products are often used to enhance the flavor of meat dishes.

Proteins can be hydrolyzed by heat, releasing free glutamates. Cooked meats, especially grilled meats, get some of their taste from free glutamates.

Uses

MSG is used to give a "meaty", "savory", or "brothy" taste to foods by stimulating the glutamate receptors on the tongue.

There are glutamate receptors in other parts of the body, notably the brain, where glutamate is a neurotransmitter.

Glutamates can be produced by fermentation of starches or sugars, but also by breaking the bonds between amino acids in proteins, leaving free amino acids. This process is done by heat or by enzymes, and is called hydrolyzing because the bonds are broken by adding water.

When proteins are broken down into their constituent amino acids, the result can contain as much as 20 percent glutamates. This is why hydrolyzed vegetable protein is often listed as an ingredient in foods, to give them a meaty or savory flavor.

There is evidence that some people are sensitive to free glutamates, and may get headaches or other symptoms if too much is ingested. This may be related to pyridoxine (vitamin B6) deficiencies, as this vitamin is necessary for glutamate metabolism. People with uncontrolled severe asthma may find that it complicates or worsens their symptoms.

Bound glutamates in proteins are very common in food. Human breast milk contains ten times as much as cow's milk, and tomato juice contains 4 times as much as breast milk. However, free glutamate, as found in soy sauce or prepared foods, enters the bloodstream much faster than the glutamates bound in proteins, where they are released slowly during digestion.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita
Argh! MSG! Arrrrgh!

Only one thing I can think of when considering foods we eat

"If we truly are what we eat, I'd rather be a bon-bon than a brussell sprout."

Donna D.

I agree!!!!
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I'm always concerned that if a product contains the word "seasoning" in it, it contains MSG.
According to Robert:
  1. The "Mrs. Dash" products:
  2. "Italian Seasoning"
  3. Chinese or Asian Seasoning:
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Spice blends called churnas (Sanskrit word for powder) are what we take, one I like, one Mike likes, I have recipes for several churnas. Plus cinnamon - good on oatmeal and anything needing to taste like dessert (sliced apples, nuts, toast) and salt, not used much. A fourth would be the popular Italian spice mix, and a 5th would be nutmeg for the fantasy warm tapioca pudding I imagine making on a rainy camp day.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Sea Salt (for me)
Pepper (for both of us)
Mrs Dash for both of us
Crushed red pepper or Texas Petes or Louisiana (both of us)
Italian Seasonning blend (both)
OK, that's five, but one is only for me... does that count as four???

Yes, I carry more than that on an extended trip... garlic powder, basil, tumeric, mustard seed, cardomom, curry and others, but,
we've easily made it three weeks with basic four.... Ii prefer to buy good produce and meats, and let the flavor come thru.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #31

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
We have a jar with six compartments and six little snap lids. About 3 inches in diameter. Handy.

Isn't that the container that walmart sells for $5? its got some usefull spices, but not much in quantity for $5. I would choose salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper. Unless you can't use salt, it is necessary for certain foods. Try making potato soup without salt! or gravy...

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote