Frames - why black? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Frames - why black?

Why all the trailer frames (that I've seen) are black? Have any of you painted theirs any other colour? I'm restoring my trailer and thinking of painting it some other than black colour.
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Black? Just because. I have seen frames in other colors... few pictures have been posted. The frame on Frederick's Fiberstream is red.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1020.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	32853

I've seen red, silver, blue and green. If you have color painted wheels on your trailer... match the frame! One simple way to personalize your trailer and everybody will know it's YOU.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Ours was black, but we painted it royal blue to match the orange and blue of our trailer. The tongue has yet to be painted, but that will likely come.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2011-01-15 at 8.47.41 AM.jpg   Screen shot 2011-01-15 at 8.48.22 AM.jpg  

Screen shot 2011-01-15 at 8.48.33 AM.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Donna, I like the red on your egg. It's a good match!
Cindy, I love that blue bumper and the red propane tank. Paint the tongue! Paint the tongue!
So, there is some method in my madness. Glad I'm not alone and now, I just can't imagine painting my frame black.
I was thinking about painting my wheels same colour as the body (going to be same silver as my TV) but now, I'll think about frame and wheels to be the same colour of... not sure yet what. I'll see what colours we have in excess in our paint shop. Maybe blue. I wonder how a blue frame would go with silver.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Not my trailer Andrew. I have a Scamp... with a black frame The trailer I posted is Frederick L. Simson's! And yes, I like it too
Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
My frame two years ago was an interesting color of brown with red streaks, kind of an abstract painting look. Of coarse rust will do that.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I love the way CindyL has color coodinated her camper and accessories! One of my favs, Cindy!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I believe that many folks paint frames black (other than thats the way they come from the factory) is they (black frames) are a lot less maintenance. As a rule, people who custom paint their trailer frames are more apt to get 'down n dirty' when it comes to clean up time. This said from personal (automotive experience)......
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you think about it, brown makes more sense... considering the inevitable ferrous oxide trim.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #10

Registry
Andrew,

The propane tank is orange, i.e. Uhaul. Colors are difficult in pix.

Vicki - thanks! The hubby had a lot to do with it. Coming, if they ever get to it, is a custom Howie (Hotel on Wheels) wheel cover that will look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
uhaul tire cover.png  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
OMG, Cindy---what a cool tire cover! I'll never be able to "keep up with Cindy!"
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Why all the trailer frames (that I've seen) are black?
The frame is a necessary part of a trailer, however most people would not think of it as a particularly good looking part of the trailer. All the frames that I have seen are built purely for function, I have not see any stock frames that have decorative iron work or styling to make them visually more appealing. When the frame is painted black, it allows the eye to focus more on the fiberglass body of the trailer. I would guess that is why most frames, jacks, stabilizers, etc, are painted black. After an extensive rebuild of my frame, I painted it black for that reason.

Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not my trailer Andrew. I have a Scamp... with a black frame
My favorite color is RED. It's even a part of my name!

I wanted a simple way to work it into the trailer's look, but thought that painting the whole trailer RED was too much $$$. I also wanted to be different.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0437.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #14

I was thinking frames are typically painted black because it's easy. Rustoleum (etc.) in black is available just about anywhere and a can of rattle paint doesn't need any special equipment or ability for touchup. Which would be different than a custom color needing a compressor and spray gun.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I think that was the reason for my husband not getting a chrome bumper on his 78 Chevy pickup along time ago (thought it is probably still running/New cab). A can of white Rustoleum and good as new except for the dent the bolder made running into the bumper. Got to use the saftey break on those things.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We had an 88 Sunline, the frame and window frames were brown. The skin was beige which was common at that time. The brown chalked out quickly.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #17

Ontario
Registry
I can hardly stop laughing at myself. I was going to paint the trailer silver to match my TV and was thinking about painting the frame some funny colour and only today I noticed that that... the way to colour match will be to paint the frame... black because my TV has black finished bottom edge!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
I can hardly stop laughing at myself. I was going to paint the trailer silver to match my TV and was thinking about painting the frame some funny colour and only today I noticed that that... the way to colour match will be to paint the frame... black because my TV has black finished bottom edge!
Hi: Andrew GPSMapNut...Have you ever thought about the pain of tripping over a black trailer tongue on a midnite "TRIP" to the LOO!!! Maybe silver is a better choice!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Late coming in here but I was told that they are painted black because black tubing dries out faster. Don't know if that is true or not!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Ours was black, but we painted it royal blue to match the orange and blue of our trailer. The tongue has yet to be painted, but that will likely come.

CindyL
I just heard that our new wheel cover comes next week. Here it is as completed and the backside of the trailer with the Cabela cover it will replace.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Howie Done (2).JPG   Uhaul.jpg