Frankenstorm is coming... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Frankenstorm is coming...

With the late hurricane Sandy coming up the coast in late October and a cold front approaching the East, forecasters are calling for a Frankenstorm. Similar to last year's Halloween 6" snowfall, this one is full of wind and rain. some parts of the East will receive up to 12" of rain with snow in higher elevations. Similar scenario years back when two storms collided off the coast and several boats were sunk, "The Perfect Storm" was a movie made as a result.
Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcasting.....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We're hoping to catch a break on this one. Folks are still picking up after Irene . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Hey Jim

In Colorado we squeezed some of the snow from that cold front before sending it east. Hope that helps. Couldn't do anything about Sandy though.

Stock up on supplies, make sure there's gas in the generator, batten down the hatches and ride it out.

On the bright side - It should keep the trick-or-treat groups off the streets and out of trouble.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I feel for you!

In the 80's we lived in the Boston area and experienced a particularly nasty storm resulting in a maple tree falling on our little home while we were in it! Thankfully, there was no damage to our home or to us! Actually all the trees lining the street were knocked down because the street crew had recently cut to roots streetside in order to repave the street. What unnerved us though, is someone attempted breaking and entering our house post-storm because it looked as though it was unoccupied even though we were there the whole time. Our car was in the repair shop and the power was out so there were no lights on. Upon hearing some rattling at the back door I got up with my flashlight to investigate and saw a shadowy figure run away. I was incensed that someone would try to take advantage people in a bad situation!

One thing I loved about post-storm snow is we could cross-country ski right out our front door before the crews plowed the streets.

Although we loved living on the East Coast we're glad we live in the SF Bay Area now (we are native Californians) where we don't have to worry about snow storms, just earthquakes and tsunamis!

I certainly hope you ride out the storm in safety and good health!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny's out doing storm preparation. She's only planning on purchasing 2 cans of Spam, must be a light one in her mind. All the town's have moved Halloween up to this Sunday. an early sugar hit for me.

Being on city services, including gas, generally means low impact to the beach community here except for boulders being thrown over the seawall, just amazing to see, and the beach road being covered with sand.

Wishing all well....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
In preparation for the storm and electrical outages, I brought in all my camping stuff. Coleman stove, gas cylinders, Mr. heater buddy, filled the bathtub with water, got Milk, toilet paper, bread. Ha, inside camping! Batton Down the Hatches!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
In preparation for the storm and electrical outages, I brought in all my camping stuff. Coleman stove, gas cylinders, Mr. heater buddy, filled the bathtub with water, got Milk, toilet paper, bread. Ha, inside camping! Batton Down the Hatches!
Dont forget to put the outdoor furniture away! ;-)

Good luck everyone and be safe.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 Scamp Side Dinette 16 ft / 2006 Honda Pilot
Sitting here in the Hidden Hills in Western Mass. Think we are far enough off the coast and high enough to avoid the worse. Last year at this time we had 22" of snow surprise. In the valley, leaves were still on the trees and people went without electric for up to two weeks when the laden limbs came down. This was after a devastating tornado. Throw in hurricane Irene with record flooding. Vermont above me knows this one. Then an earthquake scare. Almost had me believing in the End Times. Got my Scamp ready as our survival capsule. Prayers to all those directly in danger.
RonnieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
We were caught in Snow-tober last year and it was pretty miserable. I'm embarrassed to admit I'm a little excited to ride out this disaster in my trusty Scamp, if it comes to that. What can I say? Any excuse to keep the camping season going!
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Monson, Ma may turn into Monsoon. Ma- we just returned this am from a mini rally and I put the camper in the year behind my fence for one reason, I secure my fence to the camper with straps to keep the fence from blowing over in 50 mpg winds, otherwise it is still packed and ready to leave, the refer is still cold and packed.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Stay safe all you east coast guys.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We may not have the great lakes for protection this time. Sandy might just be strong enough to blow past the lakes. I don't know if I should hitch up the truck & trailer to hold them both down or not???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... We may not have the great lakes for protection this time. Sandy might just be strong enough to blow past the lakes. I don't know if I should hitch up the truck & trailer to hold them both down or not???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Sounds like a good excuse to take a trip somehere Alf.

Good luck Alf and everyone else affected by the storm.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Boy this storm is amazing, blizzards in midwest, 4-8" rain and wind here in Pennsylvania and now the Great Lakes will be having 30-50 mph winds and Chicago will see 25' waves??
Unbelievable!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My thoughts are with everyone who is the line of fire of this storm.

Something that came clear after our earthquake on Saturday night and the resulting tsunami warns was that a lot of people didnt listen to emergence services, even in areas that were high on the list as likely to be impacted and people were told to evacuate. Looking a the live TV coverage of Sandy it looks like the same situation is happening along the east coast.

Please every one be safe there is nothing material you own thats worth risking your lives for.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Cleaned main gutters as if that will matter. Buckets in basement for WHEN the power goes and takes the sump pump. Past experience leads me to believe that bucketing water into the utility sink will drain into sewer longer than the pump will push water jphilll into a full sewer. Got a couple five gal bladders for toilet flushing; 30 gal. of bottled. Lost power Mon evening from 9 to 11PM; local hospital in that loop and went on generator. Heard a few generators going at abouty 9:30 so some couldn't wait to use their new toy.

Looks that eye will come across south Jersey and hit here dead on the nose. Also went out to the barn and got a double bit axe and a couple of small tarps. Still running about in shorts and thongs but I'm thinking about wool socks and boots. Also thinking about filling both the fresh water AND the grey water in the trailer for ballast and cooking water. Not going to hook back on after unhitching yesterday. Guess I'll do that now. Better get a bugout bag of peanut butter and bread and stash that also. Ya all be safe.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote