Free maps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Free maps

I am sure the seasoned traveling cognoscenti on this forum know all the tricks but thought I would post this one none-the-less. I have had some small success ordering free maps and travel guides from a couple of States (Alabama & Georgia). A quick Google search for “free maps of XXXX” turned up several links some of which were actually useful. I ended up calling an 800 number for Alabama but Georgia’s stuff was all online and very user friendly. Alabama was just a free map but Georgia is sending a map and some interesting brochures (don’t have them yet). Might not work for some States (Provinces I suppose for our Northern Brothers and Sisters) that are not as tourism oriented but worth a try. Who doesn't like free and what’s a few more minutes wasted on the computer anyway? By the way, I also just noticed that my new computer (month old HP laptop) has some map software preloaded. I have not explored it yet but will before my next trip. That, my free paper maps, downloaded directions from Google maps, Rand McNally paper Atlas, and my new Garmin GPS should get me plumb lost.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you look up Tourism BC or Tourism Alberta ( and I presume the rest of the provinces ) and request brochures, maps etc. you will have to avoid the avalanche of material they will send, and your postman will hate you.
Same for Oregon, Washington State and all the rest I expect.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I get free maps from AAA because I'm a member. But wait, I pay to be a member, so the maps aren't actually free. I also get "free" campground guide books.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I know all the eastern Canadian Provinces provide great information. They also will answer Internet questions.

For our Labrador trip, NL sent me a list of every gas station, with the gas station phone number, the owner's name and the owner's home phone number, and they were in the order of our route.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
On a trip coming back east from Washington to the Michigan/Ontario border we would stop at tourist information places near each state line. Besides getting free maps we met a lot of great people who shared a wealth of local information and local lore. We got to see places that we would normally have bypassed.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote