From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
We went from a Casita 16 to an Esccape 21 and couldn't be happier. only time I'm not happy is trying to maneuver it in tight spaces, doing a 15-point turn in a cul d sac where idiots have parked on the lollipop, when towing with a 20' long F250 longbed, hahahaha, that was sketchy beyond belief, but somehow I made it. oh, probably didn't help that a coulpe bikes are on a rack hanging off the back, too, hahaahahah, makes the combined rig at least 45 feet long.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Casita Independence
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
A lot probably depends on what you are pulling it with.
I agree with you, why so many want to use tow vehicles that are under built for what they are wanting to use it for, is beyond me. Today's 1/2 ton pickups get decent fuel mileage, very nice ride and comfort, and all the technical stuff you would ever want. If you want a smaller second vehicle for running around town then keep what you have and get something that makes trailer pulling a breeze. I wouldn't pull any travel trailer that is in the 19'-23' range with anything less then a 1/2 ton pickup with a GVRW less then 7500 lbs. I guess from living in Texas it's just a way of life for us, so anything else does seem awkward.

trainman

trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen, formerly owned: Bigfoot CB17, Scamp 19, Trillium 4500
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
I actually pull with a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the "Baby" 2.8 4 cylinder Duramax. The truck's tow rating is 7800 lbs. Unloaded on the hwy I get over 30 mpg. Pulling my Oxygen I get 23 mpg. Pulling the CB 17 Bigfoot I got 12-13. Two years ago I pulled a 25' stick built with a pullout weighing 5k from Spokane to Las Vegas. I averaged 11-12 mpg and it pulled it fine in the hills etc. I have the long bed and the truck is actually 2 inches longer than the Silverado.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #18

Name: mark
Trailer: 2017 , Casita 17' SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We went to an Escape 19 from our Casita Liberty. Mistake we made was going to a rally AFTER we owned our Casita. One step inside the Escape, and we knew we had made a mistake.

"...The longer the trip, the more the shortcomings of the Casita bothered us. If we were taking one week trips, or long weekends, the Casita would have worked for us. But we lived in the western US for many years, probably half our vacations if not more are to the west.
Excellent point. I am leaning towards longer trips to further destinations. We would have upgrade our TV and store the trailer ( longer than 17') off site, BUT, in another year or so it may be time.

Mark
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
alternative to the half ton pickups is a SUV built on a half ton pickup frame, like the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukons from Chevy/GMC, or the Expedition from Ford.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #20

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Wife and I just returned from are first long trip in the Casita. Kentucky to Saltlakecity through all the northern parks. Just shy of three weeks. Things I loved: ease of pulling, setup and tear down, and the fact that we were able to see many parts of the country. About halfway through my wife says, I think we should consider a larger camper, like a Escape 21. So for those that have gone to a larger fg camper from a Casita or scamp, great move or was it a mistake?
Shawn
Every inch longer than what will fit in one parking spot reduces utility on an accelerated basis.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
We own both a 2013 17 ft Casita SD and a 2018 21 ft Escape
We bought the 21 ft Escape for TWO REASONS , more room so we can take our grandkids camping with us and slightly more storage space
We find the build quality of the Casita and the Escape to be about equal .
That being said we’ve made more repairs to our Escape
(Leaks , broken bed support , staples holding paneling letting loose , roof penetrations not properly caulked , etc ) in the first month of ownership than in the first year of Casita ownership .
There are a lot of small standard features on our Casita that are missing on our Escape such as bathroom storage ,no strip heater and no dual fuel water heater that we find frustrating.
Both are good trailers but if you want more room the choices are limited
Some day when our grandkids are grown we may go back to a 17 ft Casita
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
hat being said weve made more repairs to our Escape in the first month of ownership than in the first year of Casita ownership ( Leaks )

Can you re-write this sentence so that we know which trailer had leaks?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #23

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Can you re-write this sentence so that we know which trailer had leaks?
The Escape had the leaks (Plural), one caused a large puddle to form inside one of the cabinets and then run out onto the aisle floor .
I hope this is clear enough to answer your question !
Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Careful. You need to watch your blood pressure.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #25

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Escape had the leaks (Plural), one caused a large puddle to form inside one of the cabinets and then run out onto the aisle floor .
I hope this is clear enough to answer your question !
Virtually all production trailers are built to a price instead of for function. The cause of your leaks is in an unexpected place: the frame, which is flexing. The flexing stresses are transmitted to the shell which is not designed to withstand them. This opens seams, loosens screws and pops rivets. Hence, your leaks. Any repairs are cosmetic, only temporary and doomed to failure unless they address the root cause: the flexing frame.

Appreciate that no trailer manufacturer does stress analysis on his product like automotive and aircraft manufacturers are mandated by law to do. That means every customer is a free test pilot for the manufacturer. And that means the place to lodge your complaint is, not with a dealer, but with the manufacturer, whom you may discover, knows of the design defects and chooses to ignore them.

Inviting him to permanently fix the defects with your assurance of return with each recurring failure may get his attention, or may not. If not, you may try assuring the manufacturer you'll be returning with your lawyer and a box of matches to set fire to your trailer on his front lawn, should he demure.

As an example, here is a custom boondocking frame upgrade that may solve the inadequate frame problem for the Casita: https://youtu.be/zkfaMf4JCUg
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #26

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
RE "Leaks, etc".... What Glenn said. No rivets in my Escape. Bed support failures? Loose staples? Roof penetrations? Are you sure you own an Escape and not some stickie?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #27

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
RE "Leaks, etc".... What Glenn said. No rivets in my Escape. Bed support failures? Loose staples? Roof penetrations? Are you sure you own an Escape and not some stickie?
I have no exterior rivets in my Escape nor did I post anything about rivets or rivets leaking so I have no idea where that came from
I do NOT own a stick built trailer , I own a 2013 17 ft Casita SD and a 2018 Escape 21 , both are molded fiberglass
The build quality of our Casita in many ways exceeds the build quality of our Escape . Since our Escape costs twice as much as our Casita , I expected better

I hope and assume your experience has been different
Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #28

Name: shawn
Trailer: Casita 17" SD
Kentucky
Good discussions here guys. I think what I like best about the Casita, is its durablity and ease of use. Steve thanks for the comparison between your Casita and Escape experiences. I wish Casita would step up with a slightly larger model. Something along the lines of a sd20 and a foot wider. I really like the Oliver 23ft, but I would need to take a loan on that gem. I learned a long time ago that payments on toys is never a good idea. I one of the concerns I have with the escape would be how far we live from BC. Oliver, Casita, and even Airstream are a days drive for me, should issues develop.

buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape