From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #29

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Good discussions here guys. I think what I like best about the Casita, is itís durablity and ease of use. Steve thanks for the comparison between your Casita and Escape experiences. I wish Casita would step up with a slightly larger model. Something along the lines of a sd20 and a foot wider. I really like the Oliver 23ft, but I would need to take a loan on that gem. I learned a long time ago that payments on toys is never a good idea. I one of the concerns I have with the escape would be how far we live from BC. Oliver, Casita, and even Airstream are a days drive for me, should issues develop.
Depending on the manufacturer for support, while possibly necessary for warranty or structural defects, is not the best plan because manufacturers know very little about operational issues of the trailers they build. For example, no one at the Casita factory operates a Casita trailer. It is just a business for them. Fortunately, component manufacturers support their products much better. I recommend:
editing all of the componants manuals to remove all material of models you don't have and thoroughly read what is left. Make sure you write down the support phone number and website for each component in its manual.
Upgrade every component for minimal maintence.
Do all recurring maintenance.
Then you'll get reliable operation without depending on the manufacturer.

Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #30

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
You'll never regret moving up! Many Escape owners started with molded trailers from other manufacturers.
Just a counter point...
I'm glad that all sorts of RVs are available but,

I like a travel trailer, not a mobile home.
If there were no 13ft fiberglass travel trailers,we would not own a travel trailer.(well maybe, reluctantly, a 16) We have all the amenities of home in a package that can go anywhere, towed by something comfortable to drive when towing and when touring.
I have towed larger trailers which caused me to swear off RV towing for many years until I discovered such 13ft trailers as the LoveBug, Scamp, etc.

Bigger is not always better. It is also nice to to have a fully equipped travel trailer in a convenient, "travel size"... and a tow vehicle which will fit in a standard garage and normal parking spot.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #31

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Casita 2018 Independence Dlx
Tennessee
21v17

Quote:
Good discussions here guys. I think what I like best about the Casita, is itís durablity and ease of use. Steve thanks for the comparison between your Casita and Escape experiences. I wish Casita would step up with a slightly larger model. Something along the lines of a sd20 and a foot wider. I really like the Oliver 23ft, but I would need to take a loan on that gem. I learned a long time ago that payments on toys is never a good idea. I one of the concerns I have with the escape would be how far we live from BC. Oliver, Casita, and even Airstream are a days drive for me, should issues develop.
.................................................. ...............................

Good points. WE all have our limitations. For the 2 of us it was a compromise..we had to buy a new TV awa a TT...so we spent about a year loking at options. We had sold our old truck 2 yrs before so towing w a sedan was out. We wanted flexibility so wanted a TT and a TV wh we could use for other things.
Ours was made easier: ..no kids left! We decided that a double cab truck wd be a decent compromise..filling the bill as a SUV when needed to haul more thatn 2 folks, but able to tow and haul alot of stuff as a TRUCK.
Most every dlr wanted to sell us a short-bed 4x4 mid size truck. WE opted for a long-bed 2wd model..same price as a 4x4 but 14" longer WB abd 14" longer bed for hauling "stuff". We went with a Nissan made here in central TN over the Toyota, built in Mexico. Similar trucks but the wife liked the ride and interior of the frontier more..so.

The Casita was as difficult..finally after looking at several we went with the new Independence model..we both liked the 7 foot by 31" separate TWIN beds. Neither one of us like dinettes much and we didn't plan to sit inside of thje TT much anyways, so why pay for 4 extra feet of TT just to get a dinette? Problem solved.

We liked the Ollies and live nearby, but we don't camp in winter..we go to FL so Ollie's winter ability was useless to us.
And they are waaay too costly!!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #32

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Counter point... I like a travel trailer, not a mobile home.
If there were no 13ft fiberglass travel trailers,we would not own a travel trailer.(well maybe, reluctantly, a 16) We have all the amenities of home in a package that can go anywhere, towed by something comfortable to drive when towing and when touring.
I have towed larger trailers which caused me to swear off RV towing for many years until I discovered such 13ft trailers as the LoveBug, Scamp, etc.

Bigger is not always better. It is also nice to to have a fully equipped travel trailer in a convenient, "travel size"... and a tow vehicle which will fit in a standard garage and normal parking spot.
Campers, like yachts, pay increasingly dearly in expense and limitations with every inch of increased size over the one parking spot dimension. A powerful paradigm is to downsize personal requirements while increasing Camper performance.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Just a counter point...
I'm glad that all sorts of RVs are available but,

I like a travel trailer, not a mobile home.

Floyd ; your point about your 13 is well taken and bigger is definitely not always better but for us if the only choice was a 13 ft we would not own a fiberglass travel trailer .
For us our 17 ft Casita is fine for short excursions but for longer trips it begins to feel claustrophobic and little irritations seem to grow into big irritations.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #34

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
Smile moving up to 21

As Reese said, we have 2 footitis - meaning moving up from an Escape 19 (2015) (which we love) to a 21. The principle issue is that my husband and I are too old to jump over each other to get up in the middle of the night to visit the loo. the 21 allows us to exit the bed without having to elbow a loved one out of the way at 2 in the morning.

If you are young enough to enjoy to thrill of rolling over your bed partner in the middle of the night, and want a great Escape 19, let us know. We have one to sell.

BJ Smitty
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #35

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
As Reese said, we have 2 footitis - meaning moving up from an Escape 19 (2015) (which we love) to a 21. The principle issue is that my husband and I are too old to jump over each other to get up in the middle of the night to visit the loo. the 21 allows us to exit the bed without having to elbow a loved one out of the way at 2 in the morning.

If you are young enough to enjoy to thrill of rolling over your bed partner in the middle of the night, and want a great Escape 19, let us know. We have one to sell.

BJ Smitty
These points are very well-taken. The RV industry offers a huge selection of vehicles for a wide variety of uses. This makes careful consideration of intended use so very important. Besides that, everything is relative. I hiked 823 miles of the Appalachian Trail sleeping in a tent, eating the food I carried. Compared to my tent (which was very nice) my Casita is a ballroom. The previous owner of my Casita traded up to get separate bunks you desire. His new unit is much more spacious than my Casita. But it suffers the limitations of increased size that may not matter to owners who do not boondock. The Casita Independence could supply separate bunks without the increased size.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I went from an Escape 17B that I towed close to 100,000 miles around the US & Canada over 6 years. Towed it with a RAV4 for the first 5 years & a Tacoma off Road for the last. I loved the trailer, and made many modifications to make it a home for the 6 - 8 months I spend on the road or out in the Arizona desert for the winter.

That said, I wanted an oven, a full time 4 person dinette, a built in microwave, and more counter space. While all that would have been possible in an Escape 19, I would have had limited drawer & cabinet space. I went with a 21, and have enjoyed it for over a year. I did change tow vehicles - the Tacoma would pull the 21, but was overloaded (payload) so I switched to a F 150.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
did that escape by chance have the new style borderless windows? I've heard those are prone to leaking. my 2014 has the old style sliding double-pane windows, been in a major downpour, stayed nice and dry. even left the maxxfan deluxe open all night, with the fan on low, not a drop came in.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #38

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Casita 2018 Independence Dlx
Tennessee
Wink loo at nite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post

BJ Smitty
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THAT is precisely why we bought the 17 Casita Independence Dlx: ..2 TWIN beds lengthwise at the rear 7 feet long by 31" wide and no one has to climb over anyone.

Sure, it has NO dinette, but we hate "dinettes" and wd not use one IF we had one. We wanna eat at a small table? we can stay the flip home. Or we can put in a stand-pole and slip a table top onto that stand, between them two beds. OR we can slip in two table tops and our extra cushions and make a king-sized bed in back suitable for 3 adults.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
we find the dinette comes in really handy for a meal stop on the road, and for meals when the weather has turned nasty, whether windy or wet. its also nice for doing that odd spot of remote working on the laptop (my wife telecommutes and sometimes has a fire to fight when she's on vacation), or one person reading when the other has gone to bed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #40

Name: Dan
Trailer: Escape
Indiana
Missing the point

Quote:
my wife says, I think we should consider a larger camper,
There is a lot of good discussion here about the merits of one trailer over another, tow vehicles and trailer quality. We are one of many couples that have made the switch from a 17' Casita to a 21' Escape and love it!

I would suggest the most important consideration is that your wife thinks you should consider the larger trailer. I think peace during trips and companionship on the road would lead you to buy the new larger trailer and do it quickly.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #41

Tennessee
The Big Picture

Having never owned a trailer before acquiring my Casita Freedom, I immediately noticed a trend while shopping.

The first candidate was in Arkansas, one-year-old and immaculate. The owner spent two years researching trailers before buying it. He did one short trip with it and his wife would not get in it again. She was both untrained and unwilling to make the slightest effort to adapt to trailer life.

The second candidate was in California. It too, was nearly new but had been embellished by many upgrades. Once again, the wife decided she wanted bigger after ogling bigger trailers in numerous trailer parks. As far as I could tell, she did not consider anything else except "keeping up with the Jones's"

The third candidate, (which I bought) was 2 years old but essentially new as it had only been slept in once before the previous owner's family decided it was too dangerous for him to use. I got a tremendous deal and took delivery on the spot.

I've come to realize there are a lot of small trailers placed on the market by incompetent and/or ignorant owners. Certainly, before committing to purchase such a complex device, EVERYONE associated with it should be consulted and TRAINED beforehand to avoid the above pathetic fiascoes. Renting for several weekend jaunts or a vacation will be very helpful, particularly in the unit anticipated for purchase with minimal expense. Renting will quickly drive home the reality that duplicating home conveniences in a small trailer is not realistic for those harboring this illusion. Downsizing must be part of the equation for any conventional homeowner to thrive in a trailer.

A key operational consideration is whether boondocking is required. With the RV industry flooding the market with 300,000 new units annually, prepared campsites are filling up fast. The future of a quality camping experience is in remote site camping. Virtually all production trailers are not built to withstand the demands of routine boondocking. They can handle little more than lumbering down a paved highway from one overpriced RV slum to another. Deciding what you want from your camping experience before purchase will go a long way toward a successful long-term ownership.

, located in Mississippi had been slept in once without using any onboard facilities. The original owner's family decided that it was too dangerous for him to use it so they hounded him into selling it. I got immediate delivery and a fantastic deal.

These examples go back to my earlier admonition that prospective owners should carefulkly
Old 09-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Cart before the Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Good for you! I learned this lesson at 22 years old when I bought my first motorcycle. I waited until I had enough spare cash in hand. So it limited my choices. Since I learned this lesson, I've never financed an RV, a car, a toy, or a piece of furniture either. Lots of thrift store furniture, lots of well worn/used cars too. Avoidance of debt has been a key part of my financial planning and one of the reasons I was able to retire at age 50, while most of my peers are still working (12 years later.....) I continually get that "you are so lucky" response. Fortunate yes, lucky not so much.
I read a post on another forum this week where someone ordered a brand new trailer and then after ordering discovered he could not get financing and that his vehicle was inadequate for towing his new trailer . This whole scenario seemed strange /odd to me ?
I’m from the same school as Bill , if I don’t have enough money to cover my daily bills and purchase a luxury item then I save up until I have the money in the bank .
If I don’t have or can’t afford an adequate tow vehicle for the trailer I wish to purchase then I don’t buy the trailer
Since we only have one credit card and NO outstanding debt our credit score is not the best but we don’t care cause we’re debt free .

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape