From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #57

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If I went to a 21 footer Id be moving up.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #58

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
We had a Casita 17 (loved it) and moved to an escape 21 (love it too) we considered the 19 but decided to go for the other 2 feet, and glad we did. If you liked the Casita you will like the escape more. More room, two people and can moving around without banging into each other. Good size table AND a big bed. Easy set up and tear down. I tow mine with a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 2X4 shortbed with no issues. The trailer tracks well, I don't use the wdh anymore (didn't need it with the casita either). I say Go for it!

bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #59

Name: shawn
Trailer: Casita 17" SD
Kentucky
Casita to escape

Just thought a would update everyone. We have a pending deal on our Casita, we will finish the transaction this week. So actively looking for a larger egg. We like the escapes and bigfoots, if anyone has one let me know. We are flexible on time frame and finances are in order.
Thanks'
Shawn
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #60

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
I'm seriously considering an Escape trailer myself, primarily thinking of trying the Escape 19 to make the wife happy. The 17B would probably work but the extra room of the 19 would be appreciated by her. I really don't want to tow anything bigger so the 21 is out of the picture. I'm wondering what issues do Escape owners report on their rigs - what to check in particular when looking at a used one?
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #61

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have a 17B and your wife is correct. Get the 19 for the extra aisle space and so you can play cards or dine with another couple in your trailer.
Mine is ten years old. Took it to ETI a few weeks ago to have caulking checked and for any other maintenance issues. They replaced the battery box, which was cracked and fixed a break in the Maxxfan wiring. I've found no issues.
I did have the furnace motor replaced under warranty and a couple bits in the Dometic fridge have broken, but those are the same appliances used in other trailers.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: 2018 Casita Independence
Texas
We have a 2018 Casita and the wife now thinks we need a larger trailer, I showed her the Oliver and told her to get her checkbook out, she thought a stick-built would work for less money, boy was she wrong, now she sees the difference and looking at me with her checkbook in hand. Now we need to upgrade the 2017 Ridgeline with a Ram 3/4 ton pickup, she told me to get my checkbook out. Moral of the story is, have a checkbook.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #63

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
We have a 2018 Casita and the wife now thinks we need a larger trailer, I showed her the Oliver and told her to get her checkbook out, she thought a stick-built would work for less money, boy was she wrong, now she sees the difference and looking at me with her checkbook in hand. Now we need to upgrade the 2017 Ridgeline with a Ram 3/4 ton pickup, she told me to get my checkbook out. Moral of the story is, have a checkbook.

trainman
We sold the Casita this past week and have placed adds looking for a used Bigfoot or Escape. Got a feeling that I'm just going to write that big check to Escape and take a trip in June! One good thing for us, my truck was overkill for the Casita 2016 Tundra w/ 5.7l. The Escape should tow just as well!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #64

Kentucky
Ordered an 2019 Escape 21 this afternoon, to be built this spring. Thanks for the guidance!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: 2018 Casita Independence
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Ordered an 2019 Escape 21 this afternoon, to be built this spring. Thanks for the guidance!
We have a friend who purchase a 5.0 Escape, they picked it up in the U.S. as Escape will bring it across the border and it saves you the border crossing BS that Canada can impose. Other things to think about would be insurance, etc. I have looked into the Escape, but for now we are looking toward the Oliver, just a personal choice for us.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #66

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I am curious about what we call the Canadian Discount. Is the ratio of US money to Canadian money figured at the time of the order or the time of the picking up?
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I am curious about what we call the Canadian Discount. Is the ratio of US money to Canadian money figured at the time of the order or the time of the picking up?
They use the exchange rate that is in effect on the day you make your payment
There are several good threads on this subject on the Escape Trailer Forum
The exchange rate the other day was $1.30 CND to $1 USD
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #68

Kentucky
With the Canadian exchange rate the escape 21 is about half the price of the Oliver
Old 10-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #69

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
With the Canadian exchange rate the escape 21 is about half the price of the Oliver
Thats like comparing apples to oranges with price being the only criteria
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #70

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
I did a full breakdown of a fully optioned Escape 21 vs a fully optioned Oliver Elite II a few months ago for a neighbor who was considering both, trying to make it as "apples to apples" as possible. Of course some things are just going to be different, eg Oliver's double hull construction, lack of permanent bed size bigger than a twin on the Oliver, and no oven option on the Oliver. The Escape came out about $25,000 cheaper, so it's up to individual buyer whether the remaining differences are worth that sum or not. Also noteworthy, Oliver has a "comparison tool" on their website that compares their trailers to Escapes and Airstreams, but the Escape data is full of misleading errors.

This is what I came up with. I had to call Oliver to get pricing on some of their options. Prices on some items has likely changed in the months since I put this together, so consider it a rough guide. I know Escape has altered their pricing on the awnings (manual awning is now standard, again, and electric is an upgrade, but they also dropped their base price by the same amount, so no price change overall).
Attached Thumbnails
Escape vs Oliver.jpeg  

Tags
casita, escape