From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #41

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
The Big Picture

Having never owned a trailer before acquiring my Casita Freedom, I immediately noticed a trend while shopping.

The first candidate was in Arkansas, one-year-old and immaculate. The owner spent two years researching trailers before buying it. He did one short trip with it and his wife would not get in it again. She was both untrained and unwilling to make the slightest effort to adapt to trailer life.

The second candidate was in California. It too, was nearly new but had been embellished by many upgrades. Once again, the wife decided she wanted bigger after ogling bigger trailers in numerous trailer parks. As far as I could tell, she did not consider anything else except "keeping up with the Jones's"

The third candidate, (which I bought) was 2 years old but essentially new as it had only been slept in once before the previous owner's family decided it was too dangerous for him to use. I got a tremendous deal and took delivery on the spot.

I've come to realize there are a lot of small trailers placed on the market by incompetent and/or ignorant owners. Certainly, before committing to purchase such a complex device, EVERYONE associated with it should be consulted and TRAINED beforehand to avoid the above pathetic fiascoes. Renting for several weekend jaunts or a vacation will be very helpful, particularly in the unit anticipated for purchase with minimal expense. Renting will quickly drive home the reality that duplicating home conveniences in a small trailer is not realistic for those harboring this illusion. Downsizing must be part of the equation for any conventional homeowner to thrive in a trailer.

A key operational consideration is whether boondocking is required. With the RV industry flooding the market with 300,000 new units annually, prepared campsites are filling up fast. The future of a quality camping experience is in remote site camping. Virtually all production trailers are not built to withstand the demands of routine boondocking. They can handle little more than lumbering down a paved highway from one overpriced RV slum to another. Deciding what you want from your camping experience before purchase will go a long way toward a successful long-term ownership.

, located in Mississippi had been slept in once without using any onboard facilities. The original owner's family decided that it was too dangerous for him to use it so they hounded him into selling it. I got immediate delivery and a fantastic deal.

These examples go back to my earlier admonition that prospective owners should carefulkly
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Cart before the Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Good for you! I learned this lesson at 22 years old when I bought my first motorcycle. I waited until I had enough spare cash in hand. So it limited my choices. Since I learned this lesson, I've never financed an RV, a car, a toy, or a piece of furniture either. Lots of thrift store furniture, lots of well worn/used cars too. Avoidance of debt has been a key part of my financial planning and one of the reasons I was able to retire at age 50, while most of my peers are still working (12 years later.....) I continually get that "you are so lucky" response. Fortunate yes, lucky not so much.
I read a post on another forum this week where someone ordered a brand new trailer and then after ordering discovered he could not get financing and that his vehicle was inadequate for towing his new trailer . This whole scenario seemed strange /odd to me ?
I’m from the same school as Bill , if I don’t have enough money to cover my daily bills and purchase a luxury item then I save up until I have the money in the bank .
If I don’t have or can’t afford an adequate tow vehicle for the trailer I wish to purchase then I don’t buy the trailer
Since we only have one credit card and NO outstanding debt our credit score is not the best but we don’t care cause we’re debt free .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...Since we only have one credit card and NO outstanding debt our credit score is not the best but we don’t care cause we’re debt free .
That's the subtle pressure of the whole, lucrative credit system. You pay off debt and your score goes down, even though your financial capacity to handle debt goes up. Lending institutions want to make you feel like something is wrong because you have no debt. We paid off a vehicle and a mortgage within a month of each other recently, and the drop in our "credit rating" was disconcerting, if not unexpected.

On the other hand, I hesitate to judge another person for choosing to use credit, even for a non-essential item such as an RV, as long as it is well-managed, within their means, and leaves room for the unexpected curveballs of life. At least if it's molded fiberglass, you'll not be upside-down for long!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #44

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
17v21

One thing we have found in our first season w our Casita..several places we wanted to stay only had room left for TTs "under 20" feet. We were able to get reserevations and a campsite twice in popular places in FL easily by simply saying.."we have a 17' rig' FWIW
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #45

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There are a lot of small standard features on our Casita that are missing on our Escape such as bathroom storage ,no strip heater and no dual fuel water heater that we find frustrating.
Both are good trailers but if you want more room the choices are limited
Some day when our grandkids are grown we may go back to a 17 ft Casita

Last I checked (just now) the 21 Escape comes standard with bathroom vanity storage, and both heater strips for the AC and 2-way water heaters are available if you ask for them. I’m glad they’re options instead of standard features as that way I only have to pay for them if I want them (yes to 2 way water heater but no, thank you, to strip heaters).
Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #46

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Last I checked (just now) the 21 Escape comes standard with bathroom vanity storage, and both heater strips for the AC and 2-way water heaters are available if you ask for them. I’m glad they’re options instead of standard features as that way I only have to pay for them if I want them (yes to 2 way water heater but no, thank you, to strip heaters).
Don’t know about the new standard bathroom vanity ,but my 2018 -21 has a small corner sink with zero counter space to set anything .
I was planning on installing my own strip heater
(which I was told is no longer an available option ) but the A/C unit Escape uses supposedly will not accept the strip heater . I guess it’s all in how you look at it , not having to pay for an option you don’t want is great but the price of the options many desire more than make up for any savings
We’ve had strip heaters in our two previous FG trailers and absolutely loved them . If I can find a way so will this one !!

Not going to turn this into a back and forth so goodbye for now
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #47

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I had an EggCamper, 17 feet, went to an Escape 19 and it was a great improvement.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #48

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we've been going camping for many years, and owned a tent trailer for around 10 years... we knew exactly what we were getting into with the Casita, but after 2 years and a dozen trips did decide we needed a /little/ more room, so upgraded to the escape 21 after seeing several at FiberglassRV rallys. If it was just me solo (mostly at my Star Parties, which my wife finds too boring), the Casita was fine, but for our music festivals and general road trips, the Escape has proven much nicer. Trips since getting the Escape at New Years have included spring CalStar (oops, I took the Casita for one last trip as the Escape's registration wasn't finalized), the spring Strawberry Music Festival, GSSP (solo in the escape), Oregon Shakespeare and Oregon Coast Gathering (immediately after GSSP, picking my wife up at Medford Airport), Fall Strawberry Music Festival, and Fall CalStar (solo a week ago).

of these trips, most were dry camping, only the Ashland stay was full hookups, at Bullard's Beach we only had water+electric.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #49

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
There is a lot of good discussion here about the merits of one trailer over another, tow vehicles and trailer quality. We are one of many couples that have made the switch from a 17' Casita to a 21' Escape and love it!

I would suggest the most important consideration is that your wife thinks you should consider the larger trailer. I think peace during trips and companionship on the road would lead you to buy the new larger trailer and do it quickly.
Very true statement right here folks!
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #50

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And the other thing that is critical is personal finances. Used 17 foot Casitas can be found for $10k and up depending on condition and age. A used 21 foot Escape will likely cost $30k or more. That’s a lot of $ and some people don’t have it. And a TV suitable for an Escape 21 is going to be bigger than what can pull a Casita. So if someone needs s replacement TV then add that to the spending.

Me it is a lot more fun camping in a paid for Casita than making payments. So if an upgrade triggers debt I wouldn’t do it. I camped with a cheap JC Penney tent for years when I was broke. Had just as much fun!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #51

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I am not really surprised that one of our FiberglassRV members is unhappy with his new Escape. In order to be happy with a fiberglass trailer purchase (or any brand of camper trailer for that manner), you really should buy one that you like prior to the purchase, not a brand or model that you have been criticizing in the forums for years in advance of your purchase!

In my case, I was happy and excited about my prospective trailer brand and model well in advance of putting down my deposit. And once I did, I was not disappointed, even five years later!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #52

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I am not really surprised that one of our FiberglassRV members is unhappy with his new Escape. In order to be happy with a fiberglass trailer purchase (or any brand of camper trailer for that manner), you really should buy one that you like prior to the purchase, not a brand or model that you have been criticizing in the forums for years in advance of your purchase!
glad you said it and not me, that was exactly what was running through my mind.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #53

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We have a Nissan Rogue. It starts, runs and goes down the road just fine. Everything on it works and it has been virtually trouble free for the 30k miles we’ve owned it. I do not like this vehicle because the low beam headlights are too low even adjusted as high as they will go and it has a terrible blindspot for changing lanes. We have no intention of selling or trading it as these are irritations that can be lived with through judicious use of the high beams when we are out at night and though making double sure it’s safe to change lanes.
You can’t always get what you want but if you try sometime, you get what you need. It’s kind of like your kids. I wouldn’t take a million dollars for any one of them but I wouldn’t give you 10 bucks for another one.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #54

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
There is a lot of good discussion here about the merits of one trailer over another, tow vehicles and trailer quality. We are one of many couples that have made the switch from a 17' Casita to a 21' Escape and love it!

I would suggest the most important consideration is that your wife thinks you should consider the larger trailer. I think peace during trips and companionship on the road would lead you to buy the new larger trailer and do it quickly.
last winter we were camping in our Casita at the RV park at Panamint Springs in Death Valley... we were there 2 weeks, doing side trips on various 4x4-only roads in my Tacoma each day, and the space right next to us had a variety of big campers each stay a couple nights. the one in particular I remember was a big class A with triple-slideouts, occupied by a elderly retired couple.... the guy was real interested in our Casita but confessed in a quiet voice that his wife would never go for it. we never saw the wife go outside. He said he hated the big beast, hated driving it, hated parking it, hated being trapped in it (they didn't have a dingy), but whatever keeps the wife happy...

btw, Panamint Springs is, I think, my favorite place to camp around Death Valley.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #55

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Just a counter point...
I'm glad that all sorts of RVs are available but,

I like a travel trailer, not a mobile home.
If there were no 13ft fiberglass travel trailers,we would not own a travel trailer.(well maybe, reluctantly, a 16) We have all the amenities of home in a package that can go anywhere, towed by something comfortable to drive when towing and when touring.
I have towed larger trailers which caused me to swear off RV towing for many years until I discovered such 13ft trailers as the LoveBug, Scamp, etc.

Bigger is not always better. It is also nice to to have a fully equipped travel trailer in a convenient, "travel size"... and a tow vehicle which will fit in a standard garage and normal parking spot.
what floyd said
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #56

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
North Carolina
That's exactly what we did in June of this year, sold our Casita SD17 and picked up a brand new 2018 Escape 21' in Chilliwack.

Just do it! We love the 21', and after having our Casita for 10 years, the Escape seems HUGE in comparison. It's so much more open and airy. We've towed it for 6100 miles already with our 2012 F-150, and I swear it's more stable and comfortable to tow than the Casita ever was. This has to be due to the dual axles. The Casita felt bouncy and twitchy sometimes, not so with the 21' .

We have zero regrets moving "up" to the 21'. ( Not many people can say they moved "up" to a 21 footer ! )
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #57

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If I went to a 21 footer I’d be moving up.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #58

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
We had a Casita 17 (loved it) and moved to an escape 21 (love it too) we considered the 19 but decided to go for the other 2 feet, and glad we did. If you liked the Casita you will like the escape more. More room, two people and can moving around without banging into each other. Good size table AND a big bed. Easy set up and tear down. I tow mine with a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 2X4 shortbed with no issues. The trailer tracks well, I don't use the wdh anymore (didn't need it with the casita either). I say Go for it!
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #59

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
Casita to escape

Just thought a would update everyone. We have a pending deal on our Casita, we will finish the transaction this week. So actively looking for a larger egg. We like the escapes and bigfoots, if anyone has one let me know. We are flexible on time frame and finances are in order.
Thanks'
Shawn
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #60

Trailer: Boler
I'm seriously considering an Escape trailer myself, primarily thinking of trying the Escape 19 to make the wife happy. The 17B would probably work but the extra room of the 19 would be appreciated by her. I really don't want to tow anything bigger so the 21 is out of the picture. I'm wondering what issues do Escape owners report on their rigs - what to check in particular when looking at a used one?
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape