From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: shawn
Trailer: Casita 17" SD
Kentucky
From Casita sd17 to a 21 Escape

Wife and I just returned from are first long trip in the Casita. Kentucky to Saltlakecity through all the northern parks. Just shy of three weeks. Things I loved: ease of pulling, setup and tear down, and the fact that we were able to see many parts of the country. About halfway through my wife says, I think we should consider a larger camper, like a Escape 21. So for those that have gone to a larger fg camper from a Casita or scamp, great move or was it a mistake?
Shawn

buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen, formerly owned: Bigfoot CB17, Trillium 4500, Scamp 5th Wheel
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
A lot probably depends on what you are pulling it with.

Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
We went to an Escape 19 from our Casita Liberty. Mistake we made was going to a rally AFTER we owned our Casita. One step inside the Escape, and we knew we had made a mistake.

We would have bought an Escape 21, but its too long, can't get it into our backyard storage (way too tight).

Things we liked with the switch to Escape: everything. OK, to be more descriptive, in no particular order.

1. Storage: The Escape has easily TWICE the storage, if not 3 times. Lower cabinets are not tied up with utilities like they are in the Casita.

2. Large dinette: I think the dinette in our 19 is 44 inches deep, in the 21, its even bigger! Thats one problem with side dinettes, you are always limited to the depth of one side of the trailer (22, maybe 23 inches).

3. We can pass each other in the aisle way. My wife and I could not pass each other in the aisle of the Casita. I never took a tape measure to it, but the Escape is wide enough we can easily get past each other.

4. Floorplan: I much prefer the bed on one end, and the dinette on the opposite end. Both the 19 and the 21 are laid out this way.

5. Outside storage box: custom made by Escape to fit the frame and trailer perfectly, not only gives you great outside storage, but our battery is in the box, getting it out of the inside of the trailer.

6. Detachable power cord: its an option, we have it. Much better than stuffing a cord into a cabinet where it ends up getting caught on something.

7. Thermopane windows, another Escape option, well worth it.

8. Water tank under the floor: this is one reason there is more storage inside!

We take long trips, typically four weeks. Our most recent trip was to Alaska from North Carolina, with a side trip to Yellowstone. Almost 11,000 miles in 31 days, our longest trip yet. Our typical long trips have been to the western USA, more like 7,000 miles.

The longer the trip, the more the shortcomings of the Casita bothered us. If we were taking one week trips, or long weekends, the Casita would have worked for us. But we lived in the western US for many years, probably half our vacations if not more are to the west.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
A lot probably depends on what you are pulling it with.

Iíll let you know. We just sold our Casita and are scheduled to pick up our new Escape 21 next month. We really enjoyed the Casita but just retired and are planning to stay out longer. For us we are looking forward to more space. Planning to tow with a V8 4Runner.
JeffRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

North Carolina
Didn't realize Toyota now had a V8 4Runner. A quick look and it seems more than capable of this task.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quite a few owners of 17' Escapes have stepped up to 19'ers or 21'ers. I don't see them saying that they wished they'd stayed smaller.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

California
I hope so, itís my big concern right now. It pulled my Casita fine but the tranny temperature gave me a bit of concern going over high passes in hot weather.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRow View Post
I hope so, itís my big concern right now. It pulled my Casita fine but the tranny temperature gave me a bit of concern going over high passes in hot weather.
Does it have a tranny cooler? If not, I would add one.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #9

Kentucky
We pull the Casita with a 5.7l Tundra crewmax! The truck does not feel the casita at all! Bill that is our take away from the casita, great for little weekends or a week but a few weeks and it becomes Cramped for my wife. Escape has delivery openings after the first of the year.....hummmm
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

Kentucky
Jeff, my prior tundra had the 4.7l v8 and towed like a champ. That is one of Toyota’s best combination ever!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #11

California
Thanks, hope so. We have both the thru radiator and factory small auxiliary cooler stock with the tow package. Debating installing a larger tranny cooler. Iím picking the 21 up next month, should be cool and I have a trans temp gauge.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRow View Post
Thanks, hope so. We have both the thru radiator and factory small auxiliary cooler stock with the tow package. Debating installing a larger tranny cooler. Iím picking the 21 up next month, should be cool and I have a trans temp gauge.
Based on your prior experience, I'd go with a bigger cooler. Cheaper than a tranny repair!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
We pull the Casita with a 5.7l Tundra crewmax! The truck does not feel the casita at all! Bill that is our take away from the casita, great for little weekends or a week but a few weeks and it becomes Cramped for my wife. Escape has delivery openings after the first of the year.....hummmm
You'll never regret moving up! Many Escape owners started with molded trailers from other manufacturers.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #14

California
Probably will, may be able to add an additional cooler. Sorry if Iím pirating this thread.

Tags
casita, escape