From none to two? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #21

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I didn't post the price as it wasn't all that important to me as they were pretty much the same.

The 05 has the silverware drawer and the porch light if I recall...so really what I am looking at is the 98 has a/c, an extra propane tank and an awning. The 05 has the linoleum floor and of course is newer. On the 98, it looks like they used the rear receiver for bikes..... I think we will start with the 05 and see what it looks like....they have sent a TON of pictures and it looks pretty good. The 98 I am still waiting on pics.....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #22

Minnesota
It is $25 difference. I say they aren't for sale yet because one the guy is making a list of interested people (and I am first)...the other, the people contacted me to see if I'd be interested before offering it up to the general public...I told them I was!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Cricket If it were me I would go with the 05 / brakes .
Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Newer + brakes = no brainer, IMO. A 2nd LP tank is worth very little; I vacationed from OK to MT and back (3 weeks), then a 2 week trip to MN and MI, all on one 20 lb. LP tank... and it ain't empty yet! AC can probably be added through side or front, if you're handy. Awning can be added, too (either you love an awning or don't care about it, I'm in the latter camp). But brakes are oh so nice to have, and what's not to like about 7 years less wear and tear?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Who installed the A/C?

I think the factory only installs air conditioners on the roof. If it is window installed, that probably means amateur installation. Take the 2005.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #26

Minnesota
He said the air was factory installed....it is in the side cabinet. I was initially concerned that if it wasn't installed correctly, there may be the possibility of rot under it if for some reason it wasn't draining properly!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I think the factory only installs air conditioners on the roof. If it is window installed, that probably means amateur installation. Take the 2005.
Scamp was for a time doing the side ac (bottom of the closet) not sure what year they stopped.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you've personally viewed both... which one is "calling" you?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #29

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
As someone without breaks I'd say get 'em. New is good too.

That said, anything can be added post purchase. Just evaluate the added cost. If it turns out the '98 is more suited to your needs, breaks can be added. AC too. Cost difference between the two-beats me!

If it were me and I was still undecided I would take two days and go see one after the other. Hands and eyes on are better than any advise. It's a small cost of time and money for along term investment. I'd see the one I'm less likely to buy first. That way you're more likely to save a 3rd trip. If you do make that extra trip you know it's because it's worth it.

Best of luck.

Edit: Advise coming from someone who likes road trips and looking at trailers
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I would take newer just because things are all newer and less abt to wear out as quickly. Alot depends on wear and tear. I would be checking out the 05 model first.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #31

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Ok...the brake thing. I haven't seen where it's been said that the '98 doesn't have brakes. Am I missing it, or is everybody assuming because the '05 says it has them? That's not the same thing.

All things being equal...I would want a/c.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #32

Minnesota
Donna D.....I haven't seen either of them in person...that's part of the problem. They are 10 hours apart and 5 hours each from me (lucky me...smack dab in the middle!).

Here is the additional information I got....

no electric brakes. i did fabricate the receiver myself, but i am a 30 plus year engineer/machinist, it works quite well. no damage or leaks, i just recently redid the silicone caulk around the middle trim, i took my time and it also came out quite nicely, i am quite particular. gel coat is nice and still shines up good. i always put down the stabilizer jacks and crank up the front jack to take around half the weight off of the camper. everything works as it should but i do not like the way the air conditioner works. that confined space in the closet is not the best location for it as it is not ventilated enough, also the cold air accumulates more towards the floor. like i said, i was just going to remove it and install a microwave in it's place, that would be an excellent spot! everything else works perfect, as it should. the ceiling fan is really nice to have, and it is even equipped with a thermostat. also the furnace is a really nice option, and that works off of a thermostat also.

Since the air was one thing I was on the fence about...if it doesn't work all that well....the 2005 it is! Anyone come up with a good way to cool without a/c????
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #33

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post

Since the air was one thing I was on the fence about...if it doesn't work all that well....the 2005 it is! Anyone come up with a good way to cool without a/c????
Take a swim in the river/lake?
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #34

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Don't be afraid of roof air, it really is the best and most logical spot. There are some very small aerodynamic models that will work perfectly. Plus the air naturally falls and cools the whole rig. Any floor mount AC is going to have to work overtime to overcome the fact that cold air drops and hot air rises.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hey Cricket!

Seems to me it wouldn't hurt to tell the '98 guy- casually, of course- that you're looking at a seven-year-newer Scamp that also has brakes for about the same money he's asking.

Maybe he'd be motivated to come down enough on the price that it would be more of a contest between the two trailers.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #36

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i echo francesca's thoughts! seems to me to be a reasonable request.

good luck!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a 2001 13 Scamp with the A/C in the closet with was an option to the roof A/C. It works fine for me but I'm out here in the West where there is little humidity to deal with.

It was several years later that the factory stopped mounting the A/C in the closest and went with totally with roof A/C's. I was told by them that they changed because people were complaining about the closest A/C. These were for the most part people who live in high humidiity areas of the mid-west to the east coast.

One thing to consider if you really want A/C is that if it wasn't ordered from the factory then the roof of the Scamp would not have been re-enforced for an A/C. Having said that it's not a hard item to add to a closet. A couple of holes, a vent and electricity. It sits on the wheel well.

I'd want to look at both of them it's quite possible the older could actually be in better condition. It's hard to believe people whether by phone or computer. There are lots of folks out that there take a lot of liberty when describing the trailer they have for sale. It's always much better to have hands on. Me....I'd be taking Saturday to go to one and then Sunday to go to the other.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
So did I miss it.....do either one of the trailers have a gray water tank. That would be what your sink water drains into. If you don't have one then you have to collect that water in a bucket or something.

I love my gray water tank and it holds 28 gallons so that is over 2 x the fresh water tank. So once I'm into a second fill of the fresh water I know it will be soon time to find a dump for the gray water. Some campgrounds and RV parks don't let people collect even gray water outside their camper.

The front and back overhead cabinets are another item that is great to have as in a little trailer you need all the cabinets you can get especially if there are two of you.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #39

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
He re-did the silicone? That right there is a good reason to avoid it. Silicone caulk is the wrong thing to use on fiberglass!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #40

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Apparently no one told Scamp that either!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote