From none to two? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #57

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Wannabee" buyers occasionally have friends flag C/L ads off to keep other potential buyers away until they can look and/or make a decision, and sellers have been known to flag off ads to reduce competition.
Gezzzz now thats really play fair!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #58

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I looked at the ad's text on FGRV4sale and that is a very suspect way to sell a rig.

I will almost bet that the next thing that will happen is that the seller will start taking "Bids" for best price over his asking price from those on his list. His price is very low for a spring sale anyway. I think that the seller is just collecting names to hype or even shill the price up.

When we bought our Lil' Bigfoot the seller collected several higher offers after we paid our deposit, but before we picked it up, and would have been happy if we backed out.

I personally avoid sellers like this. It's either for sale now or fergetit.

And about "Fair Play".... When you drive over 350 miles (one way) to buy a rig, that the seller promised to hold for you for all of 8 hours, only to get it sold out from under you minutes before you arrive, you learn that all is fair in Love, War and Buying off C/L.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #59
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
It's not for sale yet but he'll call you when he orders a new one. I suspect he wants to use this one until the new one is ready. Why has he not ordered yet? The longer he waits, the less of the summer camping season the new owner sees. I'd look elsewhere. Raz
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #60

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And about "Fair Play".... When you drive over 350 miles (one way) to buy a rig, that the seller promised to hold for you for all of 8 hours, only to get it sold out from under you minutes before you arrive, you learn that all is fair in Love, War and Buying off C/L.
LOL Bob when I purchased my trailer I actually did need to go a couple of hundred miles further I talked to the seller on the phone at length just minutes after he listed the trailer. Told the seller I had the money and would pay their asking price assuming it was remotely close to the condition they had indicated it was. Assured him I would not play the I only have so much money with me game or I see this or that needs replacing. Just had to go on my gut feeling the guy was honest after talking with him at length as to its history and condition. I didnt even have a picture of the trailer to go on as he didnt own a digital camera! No way was I going to wait for one of his grandchildren to come over and take photos for him - figured it would be sold before that happened. I jumped in the car and prayed all the way my hunch that it would all be good would pan out. I called him ever 2-3 hours to let him know I was in fact still on my way. He told me each time I called that other people calling where telling him he was crazy to wait for me and that he should just sell it to them now. I think one of the reasons he held it was he had a hard time believing someone from Canada would jump in their car on a moments notice to go & get it. Got lucky that he stuck to his word & trailer was even better than I had hoped but was well aware it could have gone the other way fast & my hunch about him could be all wrong. I ended up taking the seller and his wife out for dinner as thanks for holding it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #61

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Did someone here say that was good spring price on a 1998....i thought they had. Maybe it was a different post i was reading....
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #62

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
. I think one of the reasons he held it was he had a hard time believing someone from Canada would jump in their car on a moments notice to go & get it. Got lucky that he stuck to his word & trailer was even better than I had hoped but was well aware it could have gone the other way fast & my hunch about him could be all wrong.
That's pretty much what happened to us. Saw the front bath listed in Portland C/L. Phoned, said we'd come down in two days and buy it for sure. They held it. We bought it. A 300 mile drive on blind faith and a good gut feeling. So there are decent people out using C/L but sadly I don't think they're the majority.

As for gut feeling and the older Scamp ad and the "list" etc. Not a good gut feeling.

Ron
Old 03-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #63

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
As predicted by many, once I found one I found two. We are headed out to SD to look at a Scamp tomorrow (and if it is near as nice as they say, we will tow it home).....this afternoon I found a 1972 Boler (he says Boler Canadian....I will double check in the morning when I look at it) 20 minutes from my house....he said the inside had been renovated (he designs kitchens for a living and his wife did the cushions)....I haven't seen it yet, and he says the headliner needs to be replaced. A boler is what I started out wanting, but most that I came across were in sorry shape....might go from eggless to two in one day!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #64

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Oh goody, a clutch.

jack