From none to two? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
From none to two?

OK...much like you all predicted....I waited and waited for the perfect egg....and now two have popped up. Granted I haven't looked at either of them, but they are each 5 hours from me (in completely opposite directions of course).....I have been assured both are in excellent condition. Anyone want to offer an opinion?

Here is what I have found (and what I know about each of them)

1998 13' Scamp
Side A/C, Silverware drawer, 3 way fridge, window above stove, furnace, Range hood with fan and light, Awning, gravel guard, dual propane tanks, screen door, Fresh water tank with electric pump, porch light, fantastic fan, 2"receiver on rear, battery with charger, tv antenna w/ booster, factory bullet lights, always stored indoors - still waiting for detailed pictures)

2005 13' Scamp
3 way fridge, fantastic fan, 7 pin connector, added front and rear storage cabinets, light above stove, screen door, window over stove, furnace, electric brakes, 1 7/8" hitch, reading lights, stove, gravel shield, linoleum floor. Not stored indoors, but has always been under a lean to (built for the Scamp), stored on jacks and waxed several times a year.

Which do I lean toward? The price is within $25, so I am not really factoring that in. I can not buy them both.....dh would have a fit!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
If they're that close in price, I would say go for the newer one (Unless there's something on the 98 that you really like and would be hard to add to the 05?) Either way, you'd better hurry before someone else gets them first!
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Minnesota
Neither of them are actually up for sale yet...so i have some time.... i am leaning toward the 05 but was drawn in by the side a/c on the 1998.....do not want one on the top, but it might be nice to have once in awhile.....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
Here is what I have found (and what I know about each of them)

1998 13' Scamp
Side A/C, Silverware drawer, Range hood with fan and light, Awning, dual propane tanks, Fresh water tank with electric pump, porch light, 2"receiver on rear, battery with charger, tv antenna w/ booster, factory bullet lights, always stored indoors - still waiting for detailed pictures)

2005 13' Scamp
7 pin connector, added front and rear storage cabinets, light above stove, electric brakes, 1 7/8" hitch, reading lights, stove, linoleum floor. Not stored indoors, but has always been under a lean to (built for the Scamp), stored on jacks and waxed several times a year.

Which do I lean toward? The price is within $25, so I am not really factoring that in. I can not buy them both.....dh would have a fit!
I have eliminated things that appear in both descriptions.
The 1998 looks like it has more features, I would look at the 2" receiver to make sure it was installed correctly, ie. welded to two cross members. Otherwise I would consider it a non feature.
The 2005 is 7 years younger. It has user added cabinets. Typically, unless they were done by Norm, they probably are not done very well. The brakes are nice.
If they both looked good, and the 1998 had brakes, then I would say the 1998.
Pictures would be nice.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
What are you towing with? If its a small car/suv I like the one with the brakes. I wish I had them on my UHaul. I had a very hard time during a emergency panic stop once. If the other lane had a car in it I would have been in a pickle.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #6

Minnesota
Towing with a trailblazer, but it doesn't currently have a brake module....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

Minnesota
The cabinets are installed by scamp...they are factory originals.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
The cabinets are installed by scamp...they are factory originals.
OK, then I would lean toward the 2005. Seven years is a long time. Adding a brake controller is not too tough.
A tough decision.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry

I would go for the newer one, the 2005. Electric brakes are a valuable safety feature.
Good luck!

Fran
Compact II '74
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Another vote for 2005. At least go and see that one first and see if it is in as good condition as they say it is.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would go see the newest one first. if you love it buy it. if you like it but don't love it then go see the older one then for sure you will know which one to buy. For me it how good the floor is both inside and outside. the only way to tell is get down there and look. It should take 10 minutes to evaluate if you want a trailer but at least 1/2 an hour to check both top and bottom of the floor.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
This is a rephrase of your previous query. If you feel that older is "better" equipped, "better" suited to your desires, then in this case older is "better." I think you've spent enuf time with the zaneys and their no hopers in the thickets and briar patches to recognize a trailer that meets your requirements AND has been maintained properly.

jack

. . . and don't sleep too long on this decision as you're well into the years that shouldn't be beaters and most assuredly will sell quickly as the weather improves in the spring.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #13

Minnesota
It isn't really a rephrase as the one from the 90's wasn't even on the horizon at the time of my last question. The last question was mostly price and quality driven. This time I was mostly looking for opinions on the features of each. They are nearly the same price. Do the additional features make up for the difference in age?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
.......... Do the additional features make up for the difference in age?
Brakes would be a big one for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Kool.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The brakes are nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
What are you towing with? If its a small car/suv I like the one with the brakes. I wish I had them on my UHaul. I had a very hard time during a emergency panic stop once. If the other lane had a car in it I would have been in a pickle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
OK, then I would lean toward the 2005. Seven years is a long time. Adding a brake controller is not too tough.
A tough decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
I would go for the newer one, the 2005. Electric brakes are a valuable safety feature.
Good luck!

Fran
Compact II '74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Brakes would be a big one for me.

No contest...brakes win, in my opinion. And I don't care what the tug is!

I also agree wholeheartedly with David re. the receiver hitch on the '98's rear bumper...not an enhancement unless properly done, and I'd bet even then it would seriously unbalance such a little trailer if it had much of a load on it.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
2005 not even a close decision. There is nothing listed on the 1998 that is expensive. The 2" hitch is mounted on the rear which means they could have towed another rig or just used for adding bike rack or storage.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First, nothing counts until you se the pics, until then all bets are off!!!!!

Possible problems with the 98 include: Refrigerator, water pump & other appliances are all closer to dying. That receiver on the back I see as bad news. It means that they carried extra weight where it doesn't belong and that will contribute to the chances that the suspension on the older rig is also more apt to be sagging.

As mentioned, unless the pics show something major, look at the newer one first, if you like if, ferget the older one.

BTW: What do the age stamps on the tires on each look like?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Brakes and a 7 year newer trailer and only $25 apart in price - Pretty easy call for me.

Battery and propane tanks on the older trailer are not to me a value added item as the odds are if they havent been replaced in the past few years they will need replacing now or very soon. Would be surprised if the newer Scamp didnt have a porch light - but if it doesnt they are only $10 maybe less and easy to install. You can buy the cutlery drawer from Scamp - seem to recall they are only about $50. Look around you should be able to pick up an awning at a reasonable price.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I saw that "$25.00 apart" post- but did I miss the actual asking price(s) that's based on? I can't seem to find that- excuse the post if I missed it!

I confess to being a bit confused, anyway, partly since it seems strange that they're so close in price (are we SURE it's not "$2500.00" apart?), but also since Cricket goes on to say that "neither one of them is really for sale yet"...?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote