Frontal Area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks, Carol. My T@b came from the factory with 205/50/16's so when I put new tires on for the trip I went with Khumos in the same size so speed rating isnt a factor as far as tires are concerned. Ya, I moved over when traveling on 2 lane roads whenever I could. Thankfully that wasnt very often as traffic was pretty low or else the 2 lanes had passing lanes frequently. Where I got jammed up in high speed traffic was in FL where you dont have a lot of good options other than the interstate since I live on the East Coast of FL and I-95 is pretty much the only way to get there. I hated it when cars would come flying up as close as they could even in the slow lane and then dart around me and cut back in close. There was no need for it they were just driving like idiots. It happens around Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, the I-4 cutoff etc.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #22

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Sooooooooooooo, I'm wondering if the Scamp 13 has less frontal area than my T@b? The T@b is exactly the same width as my Sienna Van so the difference must be in height. Is my T@b that much higher and catching more wind than Scamp 13 owners? I sure could feel her back there up hills and in headwinds wheras folks with the little Eggs say they hardly notice them at all.
If you were to compare 3 trailers shapes with the same frontal area, 1) square box cargo trailer, 2) T@B, 3) Scamp shape, I would expect the aerodynamic drag from the T@B would be about half way between the box shape and the Scamp shape.

The T@B has an aerodynamic shape in 2 dimensions (height and length) where the Scamp is aerodynamic in 3 dimensions (height, length and width). The edges where the front, top and back meet with the sides on a T@B create more aerodynamic drag than the rounded corners at these locations on the Scamp shape.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #23

Thanks Andy. I had a feeling it had something to do with that since my T@b is the same width as my minivan (and the Scamp too I believe). I hope to get to GA maybe in Oct when the cooler weather has arrived and do a fall colors drive with the kids (never seen leaves change colors) and rent Jay's Scamp he just restored to do a comparison. With the kiddos in their own beds I wont get kicked, poked, kneed or hit and may actually get a good night's sleep, lol. That was rough at the end of a 12 hr day.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I guess I'd read so many posts of folks saying they tow with smaller vehicles than mine and barely know their little Eggs aree back there and it only affected their mileage by a few MPG that I thought surely my V6 Sienna would just breeze up hills and power through headwinds without downshifting and slowing or chugging gas etc.

Thank you for the reassurance. I've only towed a popup before so never experienced that kind of wind resistance.

This is why I LOVE this Group!!

Melissa
I've read a lot of those posts where people claim they barely know their trailers are back there, but it seems I always know mine is back there whether I tow my Scamp with my 4 cyl Subaru, or my V-8 Dodge Dakota. We had a pop-up for years, a small one with only a 1720 GVWR and the first time we towed our Scamp I was amazed at the difference in the feel compared to the pop-up! It felt like we were hauling a dinosaur the first couple of miles. We've adjusted to it and it's not as intimidating as that first tow, but we always know it's back there. My Subaru mileage drops more when towing than my Dakota mileage drops, but I still get just as good or better towing with my Subaru as I do with my Dodge not towing.
Modern vehicles have pretty good cooling systems, and although hills and headwinds definitely will affect your mileage since you are pulling an extra ton, and the RPMs will have to increase to get to the correct power band in those situations, the cooling system is pretty good at regulating the temperature if you follow the manufacturers limits and recommendations.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I've read a lot of those posts where people claim they barely know their trailers are back there, but it seems I always know mine is back there whether I tow my Scamp with my 4 cyl Subaru, or my V-8 Dodge Dakota. We had a pop-up for years, a small one with only a 1720 GVWR and the first time we towed our Scamp I was amazed at the difference in the feel compared to the pop-up! It felt like we were hauling a dinosaur the first couple of miles. We've adjusted to it and it's not as intimidating as that first tow, but we always know it's back there.John
I wonder how much the weight of the tow vehicle figures into "knowing it's back there"? When we went from our 3200 lb S-10 to our 5200 lb Tundra there wasn't nearly as much of the tugging and jerking we used to have with the lighter vehicle - almost (but not quite), like "we didn't know it was back there." I don't think this is a factor of power, as much as a factor of just plain being heavy enough to resist the movements of the trailer.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I tow my trailer at around 55mph. On the flats with my F-150 at 55mph (non towing) it's at 1500 rpm. Towing the trailer at 55mph, it's 1500 rpm. No difference, I don't know it's back there other than when the front tire of the tug hits a pot hole, then the rear tire of the tug, the trailer axle. Bump, bump, bump. Like Ray mentioned, I think a lot of it has to do with the weight of the tug... YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As I have posted elsewhere, I get 13 mpg, towing or not!! Either vehicle
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #28

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
As I have posted elsewhere, I get 13 mpg, towing or not!! Either vehicle
That's what my class-A motorhome used to get!

Speaking of which, towing a car on a dolly behind the motorhome was a real case of "not knowing its there". I used to keep the backup camera on just so I was certain the car was actually there!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Not to change the subject, but the only reason I keep the gas hog is because it has a lifetime warranty!! It was during the 2009 economy crisis that Chrysler offered this.
Otherwise I'd get something more economical, but then again I only drive it about 3000 miles a year.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #30

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Not to change the subject, but the only reason I keep the gas hog is because it has a lifetime warranty!! It was during the 2009 economy crisis that Chrysler offered this.
Otherwise I'd get something more economical, but then again I only drive it about 3000 miles a year.
Can't argue with that!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #31

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
When you make your trip here to Clarksville, TN in Dec if your folks are on the Ft Campbell side of town there is a full hook-up campground run by Ft Campbell and it is open to the public. It is not on the secure area of the post so you do not have to go through security, vehicle search, etc. Only a few miles to Walmart and Ft Campbell Blvd. Wife and I will be in area at that time so if we may be of any assistance just PM me. I have a Scamp 16. Enjoy your new T@B. I have camped several times with the seller Ed. Very nice fellow.
DENNIS ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #32

Thanks Dennis! It's my nephew who is stationed at Ft. Campbell so I'd guess he wouldnt be far from post. Do you have the name or link for the CG? Figure they might fill up in a hurry over Christmas. What kind of weather/temps should we expect? This will be my nephew's first winter there so he cant help us with that info yet. While we're there we'll celebrate our 20 yr anniversary. Plan to leave the kids with G'ma/G'pa who are driving in from TX so we can have a couple days to ourselves. Any suggestions on where to go/do in the area? Will the State Parks be open that time of year?

Thanks again!
Melissa