Fuel economy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, neither did I realize how much extra fuel you use at speed.
Last week I left Hope, BC for North Vancouver, mostly flat freeway driving. I kept up with the traffic, running 110 kph and hit 120 at one point. I was still being passed most of the time. And, I had the AC on.
On that trip with Toad in tow and the canoe on the RAV, I used 18.26 litres per 100 kilometers of 12.95 mpg (U.S.)

Travelling back to Hope, with no canoe, but Toad in tow and trying to hold to 90 kph and no AC, I used 12.31 litres per 100 k or 19.22 mpg (U.S). On the return leg I used 12.34 litres / 100k or 19.17 mpg (U.S.). The return leg included gravel roads at 50 to 60 k.

Most of the traffic passing me was doing 120 - 130 kph.

I don't think they can really complain about high fuel prices when they're not prepared to do anything about it.

baglo
Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We really noticed our last trip after Bandon when we slowed down a bit we were getting 24 MPG (Can) with our car and our Boler---when we did the mileage going without the trailer from Poco to Grand Forks (varied terrain to say the least) we got 40.4 MPG----that was with dh driving---I do have a heavier foot and did notice a difference when I drove.
I have since slowed down somewhat. I even do the Mary Hill Bypass at the required speed!!! Doug M knows what I talk about there eh????
The gas tank is staying fuller longer...
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Speed makes a big difference Glenn, but don't discount the canoe on top. Wind resistance is the biggest factor by far....

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Speed makes a big difference Glenn, but don't discount the canoe on top. Wind resistance is the biggest factor by far....
Yup, but the canoe was on the RAV and behind that was Escape with a high-lift axle so it is quite a bit higher than the canoe. Doesn't matter. I'm taking my pontoon boat next time.

baglo
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Nice. We were wishing for a pontoon this weekend - we were set up in the ski department, but us fisherpeople were watching the boats roll by reeling them in while we shore folks only caught small catfish. Oh well, it was a great weekend!

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13 ft
I decided to keep track of our fuel on our trip to visit the Scamp factory. This was without a trailer, just our Suzuki XL-7 and 3 passengers. On the way there I had stayed between 70 and 75 mph, interstate almost the entire way. We got 18.8 mpg. It took almost exactly 4 hours (stopping twice) to go 238 miles.

On the way back, I kept it under 70 mph, mostly around 68 mph. We got 21.5 mpg. It took 4 hours and 15 minutes (stopping once) to go 240 miles. I think 23 mpg is possible if I keep it under 65 mph.

Sometimes it feels almost dangerous to only go the speed limit - 65 mph. Vehicles come up on you soooo fast. This last weekend, I was passing, only going 64 mph when a van full of kids came up behind and started riding my bumper. As soon as I passed and got over, they took off only to hit their brakes again when the State Trooper came into sight. I regret being in their way, they probably would have gotten a ticket.

That trip to Backus was enough to convince me that 15 minutes is not worth the extra gas and probably extra wear and tear on the vehicle.
Lars H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...More people need to wake up to the equation that TIME+DISTANCE=SPEED & DISTANCE+SPEED=TIME!!! How much is your time worth, your gas worth, and your vehicle???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
We really noticed our last trip after Bandon when we slowed down a bit we were getting 24 MPG (Can) with our car and our Boler---when we did the mileage going without the trailer from Poco to Grand Forks (varied terrain to say the least) we got 40.4 MPG----that was with dh driving---I do have a heavier foot and did notice a difference when I drove.
I have since slowed down somewhat. I even do the Mary Hill Bypass at the required speed!!! Doug M knows what I talk about there eh????
The gas tank is staying fuller longer...
Speed not only is a gas user, it is supposedly the leading cause of crashes. The M.H. B/P can and is a real place to watch your speed AND the idiots around you.

....anyone using T.C. H (Route 1) yesterday (Sunday) afternoon got a real eye full of assorted cars coming from a car show held in Haugens Park on the south side of the freeway (behind the rest area). LOTS of eye candy to take your attention away from the task at hand. Some attendees were seen at the Vintage Trailer Ralleye held in Deming WA over the weekend!!!

Being a so called Car Guy, Gear Head AND a trailer tower, I am becoming ever more aware of people passing me while I'm towing. Passers usually want to 'rubber neck' at you as they pass you and quite often end up steering (accidentally) into your lane (cutting you off) because you usually tend to steer in the direction you are momentarily looking in.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Cool

Quote:
Yup, but the canoe was on the RAV and behind that was Escape with a high-lift axle so it is quite a bit higher than the canoe. Doesn't matter. I'm taking my pontoon boat next time.

baglo
So, how do you secure that pontoon boat on top of the Rav anyway?

Mike G.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
So, how do you secure that pontoon boat on top of the Rav anyway?

Mike G.
Haven't done it yet, but shouldn't be any different than tying it to the rack on the Explorer. I have it slightly under-inflated and tie it using a trucker's hitch across the front and back. Don't ask me to put "trucker's hitch" into print. With changes in temp and altitute the tubes need attention. You can deflate them some as you go up and and we recently discovered, it's easier to pump them up when you come down than to retie the ropes.

Don't tell anybody, but I once tied it to the roof and trunk of the company car, a Neon, without a rack, just running the rope through the back windows.
Attached Thumbnails
SUN.CAR.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Unhappy

I am glad you opened the topic on this point, the higher gas goes the slower I go, the danger is I have found that the money saved is offset by more hot heads taking greater and greater risks to pass me...risking me. "I do pull over at all legal pull outs to let them by". I went to the FBRV Showlow Az meet and I cannot tell you the risks I saw that were taken. I also had a teen in daddies Vet scrape the trailer on the left side...pity...if you scratch a Corvette with a pearl finish you pretty much have to paint the whole car to get it to match...Dad must have been beside himself in the morning. We got up into the white mountains and there were 10 cylinder trucks with fifth wheels the size of the H.M.S. Queen Mary cursing their trucks for over heating when it was their foot having a problem? People I sometimes wonder do not really think...Elk signs are flashing all along Hwy 260 and guess what...Yep, You got it, a 1500 pound elk ends up going into a suv windshield...estimated speed was 85 mph...its scary... the elk was blamed, sadly both occupants were killed.

Here is the question I have, when is being sensible in gas/speed make you an obstacle to traffic flow when its to fast? ie. to those who do not agree? Increasing the risk to the point its no longer prudent to drive to save...How do you guys gage this?

Harry

Quote:
And, neither did I realize how much extra fuel you use at speed.
Last week I left Hope, BC for North Vancouver, mostly flat freeway driving. I kept up with the traffic, running 110 kph and hit 120 at one point. I was still being passed most of the time. And, I had the AC on.
On that trip with Toad in tow and the canoe on the RAV, I used 18.26 litres per 100 kilometers of 12.95 mpg (U.S.)

Travelling back to Hope, with no canoe, but Toad in tow and trying to hold to 90 kph and no AC, I used 12.31 litres per 100 k or 19.22 mpg (U.S). On the return leg I used 12.34 litres / 100k or 19.17 mpg (U.S.). The return leg included gravel roads at 50 to 60 k.

Most of the traffic passing me was doing 120 - 130 kph.

I don't think they can really complain about high fuel prices when they're not prepared to do anything about it.

baglo
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Here is the question I have, when is being sensible in gas/speed make you [b]an obstacle to traffic flow when its to fast?
Rhetorical Question ahead:
Do you [b]HAVE TO go 75 when every other car on the road is going that fast, when the posted speed Limit is 65?

When did traffic flow become paramount? Who decides the rate of flow?

I am hearing my Mother's voice in my head right now, "If all your friends are jumping off a cliff, does that mean you are going to jump off too?"

When I tow my trailer, I set the cruise control to [b]55 mph. Even on I-20 in Texas where the posted speed limit is [b]80 mph.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have found that the worst are the truckers. They don't like slowing down. However, recently I have noticed that the company trucks have slowed down which leaves only the independants turckers and the four wheelers as the speeders on the interstate.

I just keep my 60 MPH and consider their wanting to pass as their problem not mine.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan A
Excellent topic. I've been experimenting with this for a bit (planning a big trip in October with the Escape and wish to get practiced at getting good mileage first). A good resource can be found by going to www dot hypermiling dot com.

If all the yahoos on the road wishing to drive fast (to save 5 minutes while getting all riled up) were to slow down and relax behind the wheel they would quickly find that the driving experience is not only cheaper (easily by 15% or more) but they would find it is also rather pleasing.

I just did a trip down through the states and back into Canada - during which I was super conscious of my driving, and it really paid off. I got an extra 120km over "normal" driving (and I already have several nicknames that make reference to my already "calm" driving practices). (that trip was without the Escape).

Right now 15% less fuel would save approximately $10-15 per tank (for me) - a $0.10 drop in fuel prices would only save me about $6-8.
Dirk Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #15

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
With our rig,
55mph=12.6 mpg (average over 3700 mile trip)
65mph=8 mpg, I suspect wind resistance is to blame.

Thank goodness for cruise control!!!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have had this sign made by a friend of mine. Finally got it put on. I still go the speed limit (not more than 60 MPH) and they still fly by me as if oil will keep flowing for ever. Well it will soon come to an end. You can read more by Googleing 'Peak Oil'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1809__Medium_.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	15276
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've always been the speed limit +10 type. Then I bought my trailer. I slowed down to 55-60 and discovered a different world. I'm no longer looking at how to get around the driver ahead of me. I now set cruise control at around 57 on the freeways and relax. It's fun to watch people go by and take long hard looks at the trailer. On the freeway I sit in the right lane and very rarely have to change lanes. On 2 lane roads if I get a couple cars behind me I start looking for a place to let them go by.
Saves fuel and stress.

I do watch when you get the idiot that will pass in bad places for oncoming vehicles. I slow down to let them go and prepare to throw out the anchor.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I have it slightly under-inflated and tie it using a trucker's hitch across the front and back. Don't ask me to put "trucker's hitch" into print.
http://www.paddling.net/sameboat/archives/....html#knottruck

http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: all... I just did the math on fuel mileage from Letchworth St. Pk. N.Y. and we got 20.22 old fashioned M.P.G. on the freeway...60m.p.h./100k.p.h. MAX!!! I 'm happy
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi: all... I just did the math on fuel mileage from Letchworth St. Pk. N.Y. and we got 20.22 old fashioned M.P.G. on the freeway...60m.p.h./100k.p.h. MAX!!! I 'm happy
If you Google "mileage calculator" you should find several to choose from. I've been using one provided by the Royal Bank. You enter kilometers travelled and litres of fuel used and it gives you the answer either as litres per 100 kilometers or as miles per U.S. gallon.

baglo