Fuel Mileage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Fuel Mileage

I am recently new to this site and an "egg" owner want to be. I see a lot of comments regarding fuel mileage. While I do not yet own an "egg", I have towed a tent trailer more than 200K in the last 30 years. I currently pull my trailer with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2 wheel drive, 4 litre/6, and manual transmission. I get 22 mpg towing. While, I consider this rather poor mileage, I don't know of anything delivering much better mileage with the exception of a new VW Jetta Sport Wagon TDI (I think tow rated for 2500#). There are many vehicles that would deliver better mileage, such as a Scion XB, easily capable of towing 2500 lbs., but unfortunately, not tow rated. Sad to say, today's vehicles rated for towing are mostly pigs. Even a late model Toyota Tacoma 4 banger won't deliver much more than 22 mpg towing or about 6 mpg less than the small Toyota pick-up I bought in 1984. If anyone knows an answer to this problem of poor mileage, I would be curious to know which vehicle to add to my desire list.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I am recently new to this site and an "egg" owner want to be. I see a lot of comments regarding fuel mileage. While I do not yet own an "egg", I have towed a tent trailer more than 200K in the last 30 years. I currently pull my trailer with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2 wheel drive, 4 litre/6, and manual transmission. I get 22 mpg towing. While, I consider this rather poor mileage, I don't know of anything delivering much better mileage with the exception of a new VW Jetta Sport Wagon TDI (I think tow rated for 2500#). There are many vehicles that would deliver better mileage, such as a Scion XB, easily capable of towing 2500 lbs., but unfortunately, not tow rated. Sad to say, today's vehicles rated for towing are mostly pigs. Even a late model Toyota Tacoma 4 banger won't deliver much more than 22 mpg towing or about 6 mpg less than the small Toyota pick-up I bought in 1984. If anyone knows an answer to this problem of poor mileage, I would be curious to know which vehicle to add to my desire list.
Bill, keep the Cherokee and adjust your expectations, It has plenty of torque, and is the second most reliable inline 6cyl ever made.
A 13 Scamp will tow more economically than just about any modern tent trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #3

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
does any one pull a 13ft egg with a VW TDI? that would be a cool setup
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hanson View Post
does any one pull a 13ft egg with a VW TDI? that would be a cool setup
I pull my 13' Trillium with a gas Jetta and get 23mpg (US) while towing. I think 22 mpg towing with the Jeep 6 cyl. is pretty good. Good luck finding your egg.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Maximizing fuel economy may not be the best strategy when purchasing a tow vehicle. Seldom is it a good reason to make a vehicle change either.

What you want to figure is total driving cost. For example, usually loss of potential return on investment trumps fuel economy gains. Another area to beware of is repair costs. I would expect that a VW Any Model setting beside a Chevy pickup in the repair shop, each with the same malady, the bill will end up significantly less for the Chevy.

You asked which vehicle to add to your list -- How about a 1988 Chevy 2500 pickup with a 12-valve Cummins diesel transplant driving a NV4500 or NV5600 transmission. Replacing the rear axle gear set with 3.08 gears would be fine for towing a tent trailer or small Scamp.

The downside might be the need for more frequent front ball joint and front wheel bearing replacements because of the added weight of the Cummins diesel over the GM gas engine.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Overall Costs

"Maximizing fuel economy may not be the best strategy when purchasing a tow vehicle. Seldom is it a good reason to make a vehicle change either."

Loren,

Cost of ownership is certainly a key factor in selecting a tow vehicle. Based on reading the posts on the site it seems a wide range of vehicles are capable of towing Scamps with relative ease while getting good mileage.

Our tow vehicle, though I suspect more expensive to repair than a Chevy, never seems to need repairs. To us reliability and longevity is high on the list of tow vehicle requirements. Our CRV has not required a significant repair in 7 years and 150,000 miles (Of course that statement insures the muffler will fall off today).

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I actually agree with Floyd, keep the Cherokee with the 4.0I'm on my second one and mine were or are both auto trans and 4x4, the only thing I ever did was replace the rear main seal on the first Cherokee. I towed my 13'er a few days ago with the newer Cherokee and it did very well and the four wheel disc brakes are a definite upgrade to the disc drum combo on my Toyota p/u. There is also another thread going on here where a lot of us don't really worry so much about the fuel economy, it is what it is.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I actually agree with Floyd, keep the Cherokee with the 4.0I'm on my second one and mine were or are both auto trans and 4x4, the only thing I ever did was replace the rear main seal on the first Cherokee. I towed my 13'er a few days ago with the newer Cherokee and it did very well and the four wheel disc brakes are a definite upgrade to the disc drum combo on my Toyota p/u. There is also another thread going on here where a lot of us don't really worry so much about the fuel economy, it is what it is.
I plan on keeping my Cherokee as it has 72K and is rust free. I only use it for towing. When the time comes to replace it, I certainly would like something that delivers more than 22 mpg. In Europe, South America, Africa, Asia (everywhere except USA & Canada) you can buy a Toyota Helix, known here as the Tacoma, with a 4 cylinder, turbo diesel and a 5000# tow rating. Prior to buying my Cherokee, I talked with Toyota's consumer service dept. They said that they have considered bringing the diesel to North America but have been reluctant due to uncertainty of a diesel market. Trailer people need to bombard Toyota with requests if they would like a reliable vehicle capable of delivering 30+ mpg.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #9

Indiana
Bill, I love my Toyota's I still own three, the P/U and two 4Runners. We have in the past all discussed the Diesel option in a small tow vehicle and I think a lot of us would jump all over it if we could get it. Toyota uses a 4 cylinder Diesel in their forklifts but adding a turbo and passing the ever changing U.S. emission standards is probably what holds it back.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I pull my 13' Trillium with a gas Jetta and get 23mpg (US) while towing. I think 22 mpg towing with the Jeep 6 cyl. is pretty good. Good luck finding your egg.
Barrie
I would like more info on towing with a Jetta would you be ok with me messageing you? We own a Jetta wagon TDI. Ken
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Can-Am RV (in Ontario I think) was using a Jetta TDI to deliver Airstreams across Canada. For a couple thousand they will install a custom hitch receiver and wiring and an anti-sway type hitch.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hanson View Post
I would like more info on towing with a Jetta would you be ok with me messageing you? We own a Jetta wagon TDI. Ken

No Problem
Old 08-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
WOW! That's actually pretty good mileage towing. I'd keep it!. I still kick myself in the rear end every time I think about getting rid of my Cherokee. Even though mine only had the 4 cyl with 4WD (and stick shift) I loved that Jeep! It's a classic, wish they still made them.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Bill, keep the Cherokee and adjust your expectations, It has plenty of torque, and is the second most reliable inline 6cyl ever made.
With the 1st being the venerable 4.9 300 CID Ford straight six?
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #15

Florida
Tent trailer

One major advantage of a tent trailer is a very small frontal area compared to a stand up trailer.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I really can't understand a "problem" when you get 22mpg towing a trailer. I suppose 30 mpg is possible, however, torque takes fuel and getting adequate torque and 22 mpg is normally pretty acceptable these days. Good luck pursuing an engine to pull a trailer up a 6% grade that still averages 30mpg!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #17

Florida
It's unfortunate that small diesels, outside of VW, are not available in North America. They offer plenty of low end torque and excellent fuel mileage.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #18

Indiana
I saw a Jeep Liberty (the smaller version) last night at Wal mart with a diesel, but I think they are very rare.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #19

Florida
Both a diesel and a gas/electric vehicle should provide a lot of low end torque and respectable mileage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hi, Floyd

Just to be clear-
The straight 6/ 170 in my '65 Ford Falcon station wagon is the FIRST, right?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote