Full Bathroom? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: If the Park has Facilities and sewer hookup
All the time 28 29.47%
Part of the time 32 33.68%
Send husband to the Public Shower 2 2.11%
Never use the trailer shower 33 34.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Ok, since we only have a porta-potty and no bathroom in the 13 Scamp, I've noticed that when we're in the parks with toilet/showers and sewer hookups all these folks are using the public loo and shower when most of them have a bathroom in their rig. What's up with that?

I'm not sure if that is what happens generally when you have a bathroom, and if so, why we would want to upgrade eventually if people don't use the trailer bathroom much.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
First Reply!

I've only had the Play Pac camping once, since I bought it, but I do own a Porta Potti and intend to use it at night and in dry camping situations. Public showers aren't my thing, tho' I would and could use one if needed. I do, however, have a private shower arrangement worked out. Now, that I've seen the orginal guts of a Play Pac, I am leaning towards waterproofing the closet so I can use it as a full bath.

Your original question about using the bathroom, I think has been discussed here on the forums. Seems to come down to convience verses cleaning and maintenance. Others who own full baths will no doubt chime in.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Question: What's up with that?
Our Answer: We use the campground bathrooms during the day but use our trailer toilet during the night. It is one of the reasons we got a trailer! Getting up to go to the campground toilet in the middle of the night was the main reason that I gave up tent camping. Now we have the Scamp, we have started camping again, yeah! And, btw, we have a full bathroom in our Scamp but a porta-potty would work just as well for this.

We have a shower too but it is the Scamp side-bath model, a very cramped space. So far we have always elected to use the campground showers. Maybe someday we will use the shower in our trailer, but haven't yet.

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
The discovery of the porti-potti changed my camping life. Saves those night-time stumbles to the campground bathroom. So far, that's all we have used it for. No shower in trailer.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My trailer came with a bathroom. Wasn't ever going to use it ... that resolve was short lived. Now I would be hard pressed to camp without one, and that is coming from an old tent camper.

As a side note, I have noticed that regardless of rig size, there are always those that use the campground facilities. Go figure. To me, taking care of the bathroom every few days is way less trouble than trekking to loo or public showers.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The shower in our UHaul VT needs some work. This trailer did not come with a shower, and some previous owner installed the shower. But the drain sits above the floor, so until we get that fixed, it will have to be the showers in the campground. Sorry. But we are half way there.

CindyL
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Joanne uses the trailer facilities exclusively. I prefer the campground because the showers have more room to move around. Of course water temp, shower fees and crowds play a major role also.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Every time I step out of my shower into the warm privacy of my own living space, with the smell of coffee going and knowing my feet have hit a clean floor, and my clothes that are laid out have not picked up some one else's "Gunge" , I tell myself.. This was worth every penny I paid for it".

Like Lynne, I could get by with a porta potti, I don't have to have the fancy schmancy toilet and black tank.. I just need a place to sit in privacy and warmth. Considering what you do on it, it is not a religious experience.

Like Suz, cleaning the bath and removing the "Product" every few days is indeed, a small job. I used to think it would be a hassle, after listen to my friends with them grumble about the dump station, but it really is no more, LESS even, than wandering thru the park, or going to the bushes with your roll of paper.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We have rigged our Scamp 13 as others here have done - PortaPottie for nights, and a Coleman shower set-up in a pinch. However, when we dry camp we have a great 'privacy room' for our shower and that's great! However, we do use campground showers if they are well-maintained. Also as others have said, if we had a full bath set-up I think we'd use it. What we have works for us tho'. L 'n D
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Considering what you do on it, it is not a religious experience.
Oh Gina, I beg to differ... moving up from only campground facilities to my own flush toilet was completely like a religious experience!

Oh what a wonderful thing!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We're on the other end of the spectrum. I don't look at the night trip to the potty as something to avoid. If it's a clear night the stars and moon are at their brightest. The night is also the quietest so you can hear a slight breeze in the trees or night birds, sometimes a rustle of a small creature in the leaves.

As for showers, I don't see iron or calcium build up as dirty or something that's gonna get me. If a shower was contaminated enough to get me it probably would have gotten enough others before me that it would be shut down.

So the trade off of the fuss, mess, additional weight, and additional space taken up by shower and toilet, even a porta-potty aren't worth it me. I wouldn't expect others to see things my way particularly since we live in such a fear driven society.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The toilet/shower is a great convenience, especially at night, and especially as we age. I can stand up straight for a shower in ours, and I get my exercise bending down to adjust the faucets, which are next to the floor on ours, or so it seems (gotta do something about that).

There is something about my eyes that resembles black light sensitivity, I think it is. I imagine I see highlighted every cluster of staph germs and other unsavory invaders which threaten my health and well being. There are enough of them already to keep my immune system working, so I don't need any extra ones from unauthorized sources. My idea is to work with the germs I know. We appreciate and use the bathroom.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I don't think my wife has even seen a campground shower / toilet since we got our camper. She worries about bugs and infections and the lot. MRSA in the news has just made that worse. Both of us have always loved camping but she didn't like the part of going to public baths.
Me--- I would use the shower if I couldn't find another larger one but I have used it. Little small for me but usable. The toilet - I try not use it if I have to sit down. After all, I have to empty it! Definitely glad it's there in the middle of the night and so are the neighbors.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Where's the box to check that referres to NO bathroom. We use the Path of no return at the end of The Green, Green Grass of Home. OR public washrooms. Once in a while I do take along the porta-potty.It all depends on conditions at the time. We used to keep it in the back of the van and had blackout window curtians made, but with the pickup it has to take up space in the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It's convenience. I've hung my... well... um... you know... over many, many places in the world... as I get older, I find I enjoy the warmth and comfort of having our facilities close to the bedroom, and clean, dry, and warm. I'm not germ-phobic, and I don't care what the condition of the bath houses is particularly, I just enjoy not having to go there.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Well, this is very eye-opening and very entertaining since we haven't any experience with a bathroom in our trailer. Seems in the early go that the trailer toilet is more popular and gets more use than the trailer shower, but not necessarily all the time.

So far, there is one poor husband that is being sent to the public facilities. Maybe we should try and figure out who that is in another post...

Byron's into the nite trips to the head.

Per has shower faucets down by the floor which has me a bit puzzled. I agree Per, I'd move those up somehow....

We know that Gina puts coffee on before she showers and Lainey is having religious experiences with a flush toilet.

Thanks for all the responses, good info.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

I appreciate having a very short walk to the bathroom from my bed.

The rest of the campground's occupants appreciate the fact that I will no longer hog the facilities.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Lainey is having religious experiences with a flush toilet.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
The porta potti in our Boler is now "built in" and gets used every night!!! During the day the outhouse or bathroom is fine..

We shower mainly in the campground shower areas, but if we are camping and there are none---the sink with hot water, and a towel on the floor work great. It's times like that when I am glad I have short hair and I can just dunk my head in the sink....
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Longtime tenters until the past ten years or so, last year we were cramping at a public lakeside park in WA state, in the mountains near Leavenworth. Somehow in driving into the park, just about empty in October, we missed a GREAT BIG RED SIGN. That night, in the middle of the night, I used our cramper loo, and a durn good thang! For it wasn't until we were leaving the park that we finally saw the big red sign:

CAUTION!
EXTREME BEAR DANGER!

I am forever grateful for that lil full bathroom in our 16ft Casita. We use public facilities for the most part, but when you gotta go in the middle of the night, oh mama, am I happy we have it.

- Sharen
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote