Full tank to travel? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #21

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
We always travel with a full fresh water tank now as we have encountered a few camp grounds with boil water advisories. We pull an Escape 19 with a GMC truck that has a large V8 so we don't even notice the trailer let along the extra water/weight.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
To tow or not to tow with water really is a personal decision. I suspect one of the reasons I tend to avoid traveling with water in the tanks is due to my mairine back ground. Water in ballast tanks does change a vessels stablity which when added requires a good deal of caluculations prior to filling the tanks to ensure the vessels stability was not compromised. Partial filled tanks where to be avoided due to the sloshing free surface effect in a vessel. Cant help but think that some of the same issues impact the overall stablity of a moving trailer as well.

If you add water to the fresh water tank on my trailer (its at the right rear) you will be lowering the tongue weight a lot as well as adding weight on the right axel. Which means you have to move some weight up to the front on the trailer to keep the tongue weight at a safe towing level to avoid wagging and move something over to the left axil to balance the trailer. While its true that while towing on a nice flat highway you may not notice any stablity change in the trailer but I cant help but think you might on a real curvey road or if one was to get into a really bad situation & the trailer was close to or about to tip that the sloshing of the water in the tanks might be the thing that puts the trailer over the tipping point.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up Excellent Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you add water to the fresh water tank on my trailer (its at the right rear) you will be lowering the tongue weight a lot as well as adding weight on the right axle.
I have the opposite concern as my fresh water tank is at the left front corner, increasing my tongue weight. I fear a full water tank would push me over the tongue weight limit of my tow vehicle, so I avoid towing full as much as possible. There are some instances when it is difficult to avoid this, so I become extra vigilant about keeping my speed in check, signaling turns more than an adequate distance before I turn, and try to stay out of other road user's way.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #24

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I would think any TT manufacturer who wishes to avoid law suites would engineer the trailer with both a full or partial tank of water in mind.
Up until a few months ago I had a 16' SD Scamp.
I live surrounded by the Sequoia Nationa Forest. Most of my travels are in mountainous country with either a partial or full water tank.
I load the trailer according to what fits where in the cabinets and never had a problem
A full tank of water will not slosh.
A partially filled tank of water will slosh but I have a difficult time beleiving 4 or 5 gallons of water placed in the lowest part of the trailer will create enough force to change the stability of the trailer.
I think sometimes we worry when there is no need and possibly make our new to trailering members also worry when they should be simply enjoying their new experience.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #25

Registry
Suspect most TT manufactures would argue with success that it is the responsablity of the person towing the trailer to fully understand what a proper safe stow is. One of the basics of stowing a trailer is that insufficient hitch weight or and unbalanced load will result in a trailer that is prone to sway.

In a perfect world water tanks would all be placed over the trailers axel thus avoiding some of the issues related to traveling with various levels of filled tanks - I know my tank isnt over the axels - its right at the back and off to one side.

Your correct a full tank will not slosh but in my trailers case it will add 100lbs of weight to the back of the trailer ( 12 gallon tank) which will have a big negitive impact on hitch weight - not to mention create an unbalanced side to side stow. Your also right I probable do worry more than I should about it but I dont think there is any harm in making the possible issues known to those who are new to towing. At least one new trailer from this forum has been lost due to rolling over. One only has to take a look at the Real World Towing weights to see that there are more than one or two folks towing with a trailer thats hitch weight vs axel weights would suggest it could well one day do a big sway and it may just be that 5 gallons (41lbs) of water sloshing around that gives it just enough movement inside the trailer under the wrong conditions (such as a strong side wind) to keep it going.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We always travel with at least several gallons on board. More times than I can count one or the other of us has had an emergency bathroom situation.
Exactly. We haven't needed it yet, but it's good to know it's there, (kind of like pepper spray etc.).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #27

Registry
I keep a gallon or so in the bathroom for the same reason! Its nice to have when the next gas station is miles ahead.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
We travel with 5 to 6 gallons unless we are going to dry camp then we fill at home.

On our 13' Casita I replaced the stock tank with a 25 gal. tank I mounted under the floor. note the sight glass.

Our 17' Casita has the stock 22 gal. tank.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0466.jpg  
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #29

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Suspect most TT manufactures would argue with success that it is the responsablity of the person towing the trailer to fully understand what a proper safe stow is. One of the basics of stowing a trailer is that insufficient hitch weight or and unbalanced load will result in a trailer that is prone to sway.
I'm an old guy who has towed everything from stock trailers, show horse trailers, boat trailers, bumper and 5th wheel travel trailer and tent trailer for the last 45 years.
Up until a couple of months ago I had 2003 16' Sd with a bath Scamp.
I've traveled the California Sierra Nevadas, the Colorado Rockies, the Mountians of Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.
Probably between 10,000 and 15,000 miles.
Usually with a full water tank and empty grey and black water tanks.
Sometimes I had to travel with a partially filled water tank and partially or full grey and black water tanks.
I have never had any of the problems you describe.
Full water or grey or black tanks lower the center of gravity of the trailer helping with stability.
I have never had a need for an anti sway bar.
I am also one of those people that's always in a hurry so I'm not a slow driver.
My point is sometimes the what if's may frighten or create needless worry in the people new to travel trailers.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote