Full timing reference books? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Full timing reference books?

With a new Lil Snoozy on order for April pick-up and retirement around the corner, I plan on camping 8 to 9 months out of the year.
I recently purchased on Amazon the Coleman National Forest Campgrounds Directory (excellent). I also purchased the National WallMart Directory to outlet locations allowing overnight camping (for emergency camping only).
Can anyone suggest other useful reference books that will help me enhance and minimize costs associated with full time RVing?
This forum has provided the best information I think I will find anywhere, but some good books can't hurt.I certainly appreciate all the wonderful help I have received from this forum up to now.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
COE and Forest Service OnLine

These are two websites to all the Army Corps of Engineering Campgrounds and National Forest Campgrounds.

ACOE Campgrounds

Corps Lakes Gateway: Camping

National Forest Campgrounds

Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Oh boy - I misread your intention with this post. Reference books to me means Bird books, Flower books.....but campground guides are useful too.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Florida
We do carry bird, tree and rock books but when you're on the road all the time like Bill intends, you need info on where to stay and where to stay economically. We have been tending away from books to web sites due to our limited space.

This year we have stayed at 4-5 Corps of Engineer parks, all with large beautiful sites right on the water, usually loaded with wildlife. We'll probably hit a dozen more on this trip. We usually plan to stay a day or two but seem to manage a 5-7 days at each stop.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Aliner
I've ordered The Next Exit on the advice of my sister who has found it invaluable.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thank you for helpful info
Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Books do take up room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We do carry bird, tree and rock books but when you're on the road all the time like Bill intends, you need info on where to stay and where to stay economically. We have been tending away from books to web sites due to our limited space.

This year we have stayed at 4-5 Corps of Engineer parks, all with large beautiful sites right on the water, usually loaded with wildlife. We'll probably hit a dozen more on this trip. We usually plan to stay a day or two but seem to manage a 5-7 days at each stop.
You are correct about books taking up so much room. I always pictured life after retirement without a computer. I do know, that in these times, living life with out a computer is not practical with so much info available and with the added ability to pay bills and track bank accounts, they have us hook, line, and sinker.

We were able to rid our lives of a television more than 15 years ago, but I guess we plagued for life with cell phones, radios, and computers.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Florida
Bill,

I think the computer actually makes travel easier, for us and others.

It allows us to communicate with young and old. For the young when we can Skype, stil helping them with life and even their homework. With the older people, we can stak in touch and even write a little newsletter every week sharing our lives with them. Many people tell us how they live thru our travels.

For me the ability to pay bills, purchase meds, and most of all get information is just short of a miracle.

The phone is also important. It serves as a camera, gps, geocaching tool and great in an emergency when yu're literally nowhere.

We have not given up TV. We like a few TV shows, an occasional movie and a few sports teams particularly women's basketball.

Computers makes it possible for me to read a half dozen newspapers and to find out information on any topic that comes into my head from birds to neutrons.

We are so lucky to have access to our world's total storehouse of information. I'm sure you recognize it but it's nice to say it as I set in our 80 square foot universe..... on Canyon Lake, deer on my lawns and coots just off shore, the temperature a pleasant 70F and sausage topped pasta in my stomach.

I am one lucky winter Texan dude

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Name: Gardner
Trailer: Casita Patriot
California
I highly recommend getting a list of hotsprings for the area you will be traveling. There are a bunch of real nice books out there.
Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote