Furnace Heat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: Correna
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Furnace Heat

Hi. My name is Correna Glassford. I have a 1976 Trillium Trailer. I am trying to live in it temporarily but I'm having some furnace difficulty. The furnace pilots fine and runs for awhile, sometimes all night but there are some glitches. Sometimes the furnace blows out and sometimes it just doesn't generate the same heat. I wonder if anyone can give me instructions on how to regulate the heat to either cooler or hotter, and how I might keep it from blowing out. Also, how do I replace the glass to view the pilot. I'm using a nickle right now. lol.
Your help asap is greatly appreciated as it did snow today and its getting really cold.

Correna
cglassford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
How high is the pilot flame. Too high or low may cause the flame to be blown out when the main burner lights. There may be an adjustment screw marked pilot on the gas valve. Could also be a dirty thermal couple that will shut off the furnace as it thinks the pilot is not lit or a partially plugged pilot jet. The pilot flame should be close to the thermal couple.

Posting the model of heater will give us some other ideas as what could be wrong.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
RV furnaces are like lights " their either on or their off" . The furnace is designed for a fixed BTU imput and output. You cannot vary the heat output like you can the speed of a car.
If you desire more heat just turn the thermostat up and the furnace will run longer before it satisfies the thermostat. Turning up the thermostat to 90 deg will not change the rate in which your trailer heats up

As far as the pilot flame not staying lit , it could be a multiple of things.
IE : Incorrectly positioned thermocouple , bad pilot valve , pilot flame improperly adjusted , high or low gas pressure , bad gas regulator , corroded thermocouple , a backdrop blowing out the pilot flame , ETC ETC.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Not sure what furnace you have; I assume a gravity furnace of some type. I agree on checking the pilot adjusting screw on the gas valve. Also, the thermocouple could be getting weak and is cheap to replace. It sometimes helps to unscrew the thermocouple from the gas valve and clean that connection very well. As for a pilot window, possibly a borosilicate flashlight lens can be repurposed - that sort of glass is high-temp resistant. You'd need to machine a proper mount for it, and a high-temp gasket. I may do this for my furnace some day.
The gas valve can likely be replaced with a modern version - see my other posts about it.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace