Furnace issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 02:58 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
California
Furnace issues

I'm a new owner of a '99 Casita, about to head out for the first time, into the cold...
My suburban furnace blows air, but it's not the warm kind. I'm at a loss as to how to turn on the heat, propane is full, stove works fine, but I see not where to light it up. I'm guessing that it doesn't have a pilot light...
I've got the thermostat switched on, cranked up to 75, but just cold air comes out!
Does anyone know the answer to this riddle? Thanks in advance!
David from Santa Barbara
Daoudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:01 AM   #2

California
I'm guessing from other posts that this furnace isn't for super cold climate adventuring, by the many posts about electric heaters and Mr Buddy propane heating, or do I have this wrong?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:07 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoudt View Post
I'm guessing from other posts that this furnace isn't for super cold climate adventuring, by the many posts about electric heaters and Mr Buddy propane heating, or do I have this wrong?
Welcome to FGRV David. The furnace in these TT's are fine and yes, there are many here that do use the Mr Buddy too. My SD17 wasn't ordered with the furnace so the Buddy is elected. I do believe that you need to light the pilot like you would for your home water heater. Others will chime in soon that use them. If your trailer has been unused for a while you may need to clean out the system. All it takes for a heater to not work right is a bit of a spider web, dirt ect to block the orifice. You'll find info in the site document center. Do make sure you have a working LP & CO monitor inside. You also need to leave a window or vent cracked for fresh air and safety. You didn't say but if you're going to have shore power available, a cube heater may be a good option for the first trip out.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
David, The problems could be a few things..and over the years I have had all of these problems and figured them all out. The bigest problem was the Battery. It takes alot of power to run furnace fan and then turn on gas valve. I found on my Boler it takes no less then 12.9 V, with nothing on, to start with, to run furnace all night
Propane...is it turned on and is it getting to gas valve in heater/
Should be checked by competant person if your not comfortable.
Does Battery have enough power to turn on GAS VALVE? did you try the heater while hooked up to shore power.
Gas valve is no good....
If standing pilot is pilot a good flame and in right area, and is thermo-couple working?
Electronics....may need a Dinosour mother board to replace yours
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoudt View Post
I'm a new owner of a '99 Casita, about to head out for the first time, into the cold...
My suburban furnace blows air, but it's not the warm kind. I'm at a loss as to how to turn on the heat, propane is full, stove works fine, but I see not where to light it up. I'm guessing that it doesn't have a pilot light...
I've got the thermostat switched on, cranked up to 75, but just cold air comes out!
Does anyone know the answer to this riddle? Thanks in advance!
David from Santa Barbara
Does your furnace have a purge cycle ?. The furnace will blow cold air during the purge cycle because the same fan motor is used to purge as well as move the conditioned air .

We have camped at 17 below zero using only the furnace or A/C strip heater to keep warm .
Out into the cold has a different meaning in Northern Minnesota than in California or Florida so you may wish to be more specific about your intended camping location.

It's difficult to diagnose your furnace without knowing which model furnace you have because there are many variations of RV furnaces
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
One thing that has not been mentioned is the "sail switch". It is a switch that is activated by the furnace blower. If the switch is stuck or the battery is low enough that the fan is too slow to activate the switch, the furnace will not work.

Lots of good previous advice in this thread too.

I would check in order--
1 -Gas supply at furnace.
2 -Voltage at furnace
3 -A dirty burner and ignition. Check for a spider web or dirt.
4- Sail switch.

There are many U-tube videos available.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
AH Yes...the old sail switch..Been there and done that too.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

California
Suburban furnace issues

Many thanks for the great tips! I'm going to Northern California and will maybe in rain and snowy regions and have intermittent shore hookups, and will bring both electrical and Mr Buddy backups, thanks!
Since I wrote last , the furnace stopped blowing air at all and seems dead. I've been on shore electric throughout this process. I've watched YouTube videos, and may be over my head. I've got a repair guy coming, but he won't be able to get parts if something isn't working, as he can only come this weekend before our trip, your tips will help us, I'm sure...
This is a wonderful forum, thanks again!

Tags
furnace