Furnaces..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Are heavenly...now not trying to make you folks who don't have one jelous but we were just over fly fishing on the river with no hookups (yes I caught lots of fish) .....and apparently I have appeased the furnace Gods becasue my furnace WORKED all night long. If you don't have a furnace but you have an air conditioner well I don't have one so you can smirk and think of me next summer when it's blazing hot and I'm miserable. But for today my friends I have a woking furnace. *struts around like a peacock* yup all night warm, warm, warm. Ahhhhhhhh praise be the warming machine.......
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
And the reason you knew it worked all night is that everytime it came on it sounded like you were parked at the end of a major airport runway and kept you up????
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
And the reason you knew it worked all night is that everytime it came on it sounded like you were parked at the end of a major airport runway and kept you up????
As a matter of fact it did. At least mine did. I think it's like trains - you get used to them. However, I do have a miniature version of one of those oil filled radiators. It's only 600 watts, but it's enough to keep Toad warm, and I save propane. In the future, when at a full hookup campsite, I'll use the electricity.

baglo
highjacking the thread.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
OR.. she didn't have to wake up and chip ice off her toes.

I love having my furnace, or heater...

It is a very distant memory.. freezing me tootsies off in a tent.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
My propane furnace doesn't have a fan, and I keep wondering why they don't make fan-less furnaces like mine any more.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
Quote:
My propane furnace doesn't have a fan, and I keep wondering why they don't make fan-less furnaces like mine any more.
wait untill you get up and place a foot on the hot face plate. most people will only do it once lol.
i think i still have vent marks branded in to the bottom of my foot
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Now I like the sound of our heater's blower motor.

We live in the middle of a high density urban area. We run an air cleaner in the bedroom at home for its "white noise" effect, to cover the neighbor who has a Garage Mariachi Band next door who likes to practice late into the night. We have become so used to this that the absolute silence we experienced on our 1st camping trip kept us up all night! The heater's blower motor lulls us right to sleep when we set it to run continuously... the starting and stopping and starting and stopping would bother us too.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #8

well here is the deal...it never shut off....just a slow hum and it never got blazing hot in the trailer but rather just right.....I kept the window open far more than neccesary to avoid the eternal sleep...sometimes it did sound like it was "slower" but it never shut off? I kept it on the lowest setting...and I also cracked the ceiling vent. Anyone want to give me the do's and don't of overnight furnace proceedures.

Quote:
Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #9

I always run a fan at nights, a carry over from my days living alone....so the furnace noise was no big deal...silence however keeps me up all night long wondering whats lurking out there.

Quote:
Now I like the sound of our heater's blower motor.

We live in the middle of a high density urban area. We run an air cleaner in the bedroom at home for its "white noise" effect, to cover the neighbor who has a Garage Mariachi Band next door who likes to practice late into the night. We have become so used to this that the absolute silence we experienced on our 1st camping trip kept us up all night! The heater's blower motor lulls us right to sleep when we set it to run continuously... the starting and stopping and starting and stopping would bother us too.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
We disconnected our furnace fan - too noisy!
(But we have to be careful with touching the front cover)
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #11

Registry
how did you do that?

I thought it had to be running for the igniter to actuate. A safety thang...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
there was an optional fan that could be added to the old trillium furnace. i stumbled across this when repairing my 78 trill
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
They do-The Olympian Wave 3 $280
I threw out my Suburban, patched the big hole and am waiting for funding.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #14

Registry
The Olympian is not a furnace, it is a Catalytic radiant space heater.

I think Daniel may have a gravity feed furnace. Lots of older rigs have them. Not sure why they are not available anymore, I wish they were.

A propane safety guru can chime in here anytime.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
and I also cracked the ceiling vent. Anyone want to give me the do's and don't of overnight furnace proceedures.
I think you hit all the right points Brandy. Ventilation is very important....no, it's paramount.

Our furnace cycles throughout the night when it's on..but it's very quiet and not enough to keep us awake. I think we've only activated it a couple of times though. If dry camping the battery life would be my concern. In the ten years we used the 17 footer I think we only used that furnace a half dozen times as well. Even right into the fall. We've never "winter" camped...at least not yet!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
We do a lot of early and season (not winter) camping in the boonies, and have found that if we get the Scamp toasty when we go to bed, we can shut the furnace off for the night - no noise, and the trailer with good bags is just fine all night (much more comfortable than we ever were in a tent). The thermostat next to the bed allows us to warm the trailer again in the AM without putting more than a hand out of the bag. Net result: a quiet night, a warm morning, a happy battery and minimal propane usage. This has worked well down to ten degrees in Buena Vista in March, when we didn't expect the temps we got! I still have to get up first to make the coffee, but it's much easier. We are so spoiled now that we have the Scamp....

Barring
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Ooo, you need a programable coffee maker!! We took ours this past weekend for our final camping trip...we were connected to shore power, table top heater set to 67 degrees, awoke to the smell of Creamy Hazelnut coffee being brewed...

...but that first step out of the trailer in the morning was a chilly one!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Ooo, you need a programable coffee maker!! We took ours this past weekend for our final camping trip...we were connected to shore power, table top heater set to 67 degrees, awoke to the smell of Creamy Hazelnut coffee being brewed...

...but that first step out of the trailer in the morning was a chilly one!!
Ahhh, and isn't it sooooo much nicer to awake to an alarm clock that makes the happy, aromatic, gurgling sound of a coffee maker than to an alarm clock that comes on with the morning traffic report?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You don't know true happiness until you're a Full Timer, retired and don't even have to get up when you smell the coffee!! It's really nice to wake up to birds and stuf like that, rather than an alarm clock!!!!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote