Future owner - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Future owner

Hi all,
I'm new here and i'm looking to buy my first fiberglass camper in 13''-14' size
I noticed that in my area i have access to mainly boler's, trilium and a few u-haul

Few general questions.:

At first sight they look similar and have similar layout with some small differences.

Are there any reasons why i should choose onebrand over the other?

Any weaker/stronger point that would make one brand more attractive compared to the other?

What are your preference and why?

Any point i need to check specifically when buying?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Welcome to fibreglassrv Bernard.
There is a buyers check list in the document center that you should use on every trailer you look at. Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Become familiar with it.
Each brand/model has its own distinct differences, features, benefits and faults. It all comes down to personal preferences. A few years back we had to write out a two page list of the pro's and con's of both a Trillium 4500 and U-haul VT (16'). It was a tough decision that came down to our personal preferences on features. For our purposes the Trillium won out over the U-haul based on windows and layout. I still love my little 13' boler American but both my wife and dogs like the larger beds in the larger Trillium 4500.
Check out a couple of meets and tour the various trailers to get a first hand perspective. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...map-53501.html
One more thing, not all the trailers of a single brand are alike. Some were made over decades in different locations by different people. What looks to be the same at first glance can have some striking differences. Other factors are what you are capable of towing. The actual weights are typically not as initially advertised. Trailer Weights in the Real World
Happy Egg Hunting.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
That list approach is a good one. Start with how you plan to use your camper. People have a lot of different ways they camp.

Multi-page discussions take place on the subject of "bathroom" is it a must have or waste of space? Cooking mostly inside vs mostly outside. AC required, or a microwave? Some mostly boondock camp so electric appliances are not worth the lost storage space, but for others the camper is a base camp for going to area attractions or events and those conviences are more important.

Once you know your real needs and what features would be nice to have it gets much easier to compare different camper brands and floor plans against that list until you have it down to a managable decision such as Roy outlined between two specific models.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #4

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
We eliminated all campers that my husband could not stand up straight in. He is 6'4"
Then we looked at bed size.....we wanted a big bed that did not have to be converted from a dining area every time we wanted to use it.
Last.....we looked at availability. The reality was that we could not drive clear across the country to pick up a camper.
So.....the stars all lined up and almost immediately we found a 2011 Eggcamper about a two hour drive from our home. It wasn't a "bargain" price but then again it didn't need any work, and we are very happy with it. Actually, eggstatic!!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I see you are in Quebec. I suggest that you find out the Canadian laws related to purchasing a new or used trailer from the USA, if that is what you choose. There may be some limiting factors there.

We chose to purchase a new 13' Scamp from the manufacturer in Backus, Minnesota as we could not find any used ones that fit our wishlist. Firstly, we are 5'4" and 5'10" and of average weight. We are the ideal height to stand in a Scamp and to share the 45" x 76" bed. It's actually cozy and comfortable even though we share a queen size bed at home.

We mostly boondock; cook outside, hike during the day and sit around the campfire at night. Basically, the trailer is our homebase in which to read in bed, sleep and have breakfast. The porta-potty comes in handy for the nighttime runs or when we are truly "off the grid". Although originally we thought we'd be setting up the dining "nook" and converting to the bed setup daily, we only do it during inclement weather (rarely). It's easier to just have a simple 15 minute no-cook breakfast with coffee while sitting on the bed and "sofa" rather than having to set up the table. We follow the KISS method (Keep it Simple Sweetie) and find that we love camping all the more 'cause it's comfortable and easy to set up.

Yes, the 13' is small but compact, cozy, comfortable and cute! It sleeps 4, has 2 burners, a sink, water tank, grey water tank, heater and lights. Everything runs off the battery and propane tank(s). We tow it with our sedan, a Subaru Legacy and it requires little more gasoline than the car alone. What could be simpler?

Good luck with your choice. I'm sure you will be "Happy Campers".
Best to you,
Gilda (Jill-da)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Quebec
Thanks all for the reply
We usually cook outside unless its raining,we removed sink and stove from out current camper to get more space. I'm not excluding the porta potty for that next buy as its the item we wish we had.

Our tow vehicule is a dodge caravan with a 3.3.
Even if. The van can tow bigger trailer than the 13-14' ones i want to stay within that size just because i want to keep it small and easy to tow/store/Cheap on gaz etc, pus we are mountain bikers so we travel in mountain areas all the time..Our current camper is 13' and its a size we like. Personnaly i would be a teardropstyle guy my wife prefer to be able to stand in the camper....boler style campers are the ones we both agree on

My idea is to find something in good shape and adapt it to my needs, i'm good with tools and like to modify thing to my liking..i want to keep that next camper for a long time. The one i have currently has to many major work to do and is not worth the time /effort plus it has no real resale value.

With the experience from my previous camper, i'm not interrested in getting into frame work, suspension work or restore completely the fiberglass...nothing major as much as possible...i'd rather play around with the layout and the "cosmetic" side of the camper to make it "our own"

Theres about 10 campers within 2h drive from my place so i should be able to find something local.

Now my first post was more to know about serious problms that certain brand might have like suspension problem, ungoing leaks, structural problems or anything of that style... The rest i'll survive and fix...vut our goal is to get one in the best shape possible for our price range.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Now my first post was more to know about serious problms that certain brand might have like suspension problem, ungoing leaks, structural problems or anything of that style... The rest i'll survive and fix...vut our goal is to get one in the best shape possible for our price range.
When it comes to all-molded towables, they are all about the same when it comes to suspension, leaks or structural problems. IT'S ALL ABOUT MAINTENANCE. I've seen stellar 30 year old trailers that were taken care of and absolutely trashed 5 year old trailers. You won't find a brand/model/year that we can "average" for you... if you're looking for "used." Every trailer will stand on its own. The Buyers Checklist will become your friend and so will the knowledge you gain by reading these forums.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #8

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
So THAT'S the question!

Bernard,
I totally misunderstood your question but I enjoyed answering it anyway
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Hi tartosuc

Welcome to FG forum, we too are looking.

Just curious about your name - is it my Quebecois brother-in-law's favourite desert - tarte au sucre?

Adrian
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #10

Quebec
Thanks for the replies. I undertsand that maintenance is key
Its good to know that none of the campers suffers from serious flaws(unlime some cars that are lemons)

Now...let wait for that second tax return check to come in to start shopping seriously!

So far in my research a few things stand out...trilium have bigger windows wich i like...and i dont know why but i like the shape of the u-hauls!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi tartosuc

Welcome to FG forum, we too are looking.

Just curious about your name - is it my Quebecois brother-in-law's favourite desert - tarte au sucre?

Adrian
Héhé. Good eye

Started out by being my first email back in '97...became my forum name over the years and is now also my nickname with most of my montain biking group of friends..they shortened it and all me "tarto"
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #12

Quebec
Hi all,

i've found a 73 unik that seem to be a good shape and at a good price.
exterior looks really good interior too except that i see some "bump/Lump" at a few places in the pictures.

Since i never been inside on of these trailers yet and before i drive 2h to get there to see, i'd like to have evryones opinion on these lumps?? what is it? water infiltration? maybe just interior finish material that getting unglued over time?
any info is welcome,, see the yellow circles in the pics

thanks

Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
First, welcome! The headliner looks like it just came unglued. I re-glued mine the other day. If you can peek under it, look for wet/stains/mold. Mine was just poorly glued, but my trailer is 22 years newer. Either way, whether glue or leak, it can be fixed. As long as there's no rot in the floor, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'd be more concerned about the axle. I don't know much about Unik, is it supposed to ride that low? I really like the table and the panels under the benches. And that's quite a porch light!

In just a few weeks, I've found a ton of ideas and advice here, there really isn't anything that can't be fixed, if you're willing to spend the time. If your budget is limited, I'd make sure the appliances worked, they'd be the most expensive to replace.

The one piece of advice that I can really offer is to sit down and think long and hard about how far you're willing to go repairing/refurbishing. Don't buy an egg that needs a lot more work than you're willing or able to do. Use the checklist, then weigh the perks vs. the flaws.

First trip in mine is in 2 weeks, trying to just get the important stuff done. I have a loooong list of things that need to be fixed on mine, but none are critical, just cosmetic and catching up on maintenance.

Hope you find an egg soon!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Oooh a 13' UNIK, a bit of a rare egg. I agree with Kevin, it looks like the ensolite has come unglued, but be sure to check the floor underneath those areas.

Best of luck!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote