Future VW Van - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Check this out!!!

Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #2

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Wow Sharon - thanks for sharing - very cool - great design features - I love the way the front seat turned into steps up to the loft bed, now if Volkswagon would only build it!
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
That is a pretty cool video - I couldn't imagine how much it would cost based on how expensive their current camper vans are =(
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Isn't that the new retro one that is planned, the one that is designed to look like the old v-front VW busses? It is supposed to be like the new Beetle, in that it is kind of like the old one. If I recall correctly, it will not be available in the US. I could be altogether wrong too.

CindyL
Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Isn't that the new retro one that is planned, the one that is designed to look like the old v-front VW busses? It is supposed to be like the new Beetle, in that it is kind of like the old one. If I recall correctly, it will not be available in the US. I could be altogether wrong too.

CindyL
I'm pretty certain the video is a "concept car". The microbus they were talking about building is still on the drawing board (I think). Cindy, I notice you also drive a 2003 Eurovan, me too. Had to unexpectedly buy tires yesterday and was informed that Michelin stopped making the "turbo tire" that is needed for our vans. Only options now are by Dunlop and Continental........better sit down for this one, $200 bones a piece!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #6

Registry
I think we are OK for a bit yet but thanks. Too bad that they do not sell the Eurovan here. We love ours. So much room.

Cindy
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
That's a great animation. The beginning indicates it is part of a design contest/exercise. I saw the "retro-futuristic" microbus at the '01 Detroit Auto Show. It was VERY cool-looking and I was excited that it was planned for production. It was canceled early in '05, however. Late in '05, word leaked out that VW was working on a van with Chrysler. And so we have the Routan, which debuted at the '08 Chicago show. It is essentially the same as the Chrysler Town & Country, and Dodge Grand Caravan, with the same motors and built in the same plant in Ontario.
The Routan looks OK, but IMHO, they would have been better off if they had been able to pull of the microbus concept.
Here's some pictures; judge for yourself.
P

Name:   vw_microbus_1_72.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  10.7 KB

Name:   vw_microbus_3_72.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  10.8 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	vw_routan.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	13076

Name:	vw_routan_2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	13077
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #8

I got the microbus pictures from ConceptCars.co.uk. You can see more pictures at:

http://www.conceptcar.co.uk/concept-cars/c...fo.php?carid=77

P
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

[quote]That's a great animation. The beginning indicates it is part of a design contest/exercise. I saw the "retro-futuristic" microbus at the '01 Detroit Auto Show. It was VERY cool-looking and I was excited that it was planned for production. It was canceled early in '05, however. Late in '05, word leaked out that VW was working on a van with Chrysler. And so we have the Routan, which debuted at the '08 Chicago show. It is essentially the same as the Chrysler Town & Country, and Dodge Grand Caravan, with the same motors and built in the same plant in Ontario.
The Routan looks OK, but IMHO, they would have been better off if they had been able to pull of the microbus concept.
Here's some pictures; judge for yourself.
P

Attachment 13074

Attachment 13075

Attachment 13076

Attachment 13077

OK, if you could see me now....you'd see I have the biggest YAWN humanly possible....that Dodge/VW is the most boring thing EVER!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #10

I know. It's so sad. I hate to have burst your bubble!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #11

Registry
I am not trading in my Eurovan for that Routan. I had to drive our last ho-hum Chrysler Voyager minivan up against a chainlink fence to get the Eurovan. That looks too much like the minivan.

Have you seen the concept car from last year that ran on batteries? http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_...lue-concept.htm

Looks a little like a Samba.

Cindy
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
I had to drive our last ho-hum Chrysler Voyager minivan up against a chainlink fence to get the Eurovan.
Cindy

Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #13

Ironically, Sharon, VW also sells the Sharan.
It's also sold as the Ford Galaxy and the Seat Alhambra, since 1995. It's a little better than the Routan in looks and size, but it still wouldn't make a neat camper like in the video!
Cindy, the chain link fence sounds like a whole 'nother story...care to tell it?
P

Name:	VW_Sharan_1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	13085

Name:	VW_Sharan.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	13086

Name:	ford_galaxy.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	13087

Name:	seat_alhambra.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	13088
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #14

Well, I once had a mule named after me, but that's a whole other story!!

That VW Sharan is still IMHO a great big SNORE!!!! I am just an old school VW lover at heart. Although I do love, love, love my Eurovan. Even with the over the top mega expensive tires.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #15

Registry
Sharon: Hubby said we just added Michelin tires, so we are good to go for a bit on our Eurovan. It sure pulls our UHaul well.

Palmer, I was supervising student teachers in Chicago in the Chrysler. I parked in a spot that was not made for my limited ability to maneuver. I tried to go down the alley a bit to do a 3-point turn in an area that turned out to be too small for the van. I got caught between a brick wall and a chain link fence, so I chose getting out via the fence as likely to do the least amount of damage. So, I drove forward, all the time listening to the scrape of the fence. Kevin was able to fix it a bit to disguise the long scrape and dent, but ultimately, we got a 2003 Eurovan (I begged.). Needless to say, Kevin does not even have to tell me not to drive it; I have not once driven it to the downtown parking garage where I work. I like it too much; I only drive it where I can drive and park with lots of room around me. I drive my New Beetle downtown.

BTW, we have 4 VWs: the 2003 Eurovan, my '98 Beetle, a '69 autostick shift Beetle, and a '68 Baywindow pickup. Someday, we hope to have the latter up and running to take to VW shows with the UHaul.

CindyL
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #16

Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Sharon: Hubby said we just added Michelin tires, so we are good to go for a bit on our Eurovan. It sure pulls our UHaul well.
BTW, we have 4 VWs: the 2003 Eurovan, my '98 Beetle, a '69 autostick shift Beetle, and a '68 Baywindow pickup. Someday, we hope to have the latter up and running to take to VW shows with the UHaul.

CindyL
Cindy,

It's good to know the Eurovan pulls the 16' well. If I ever cross paths with the right Trillium 5500 I'm moving up! I also have a "toy" in the garage that comes out when it's sunny (obviously not very often given where I live ). It's a 79.

Sharon

Attached Images

Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #18

Registry
Oh, I want one! I told the hubby that my next New Beetle will be a convertible.

Here's my toy: I did a bad combination with Graphics Converter.

I had a mid-life crisis and wanted another bus. We had one when the kids were little. Then I discovered that they made a pickup. I found one on ebay that had been chopped with fenders added, really cute! When we got there, it was a rust bucket. I followed the truck watching it drip rust all the way back from OH. Then, we discovered that (Someone had removed one of the VIN number signs.) its VIN number had been reactivated back in OH. And the police would not tell us who nor pursue it.

We ended up selling it to a nice man who wanted to rebuild it with his kid (We found out about the VIN situation afterwards.

Then we bought this pickup off samba. Yes, as the guy said, it "runs." In the 3 years, we have had it, Kevin drove me up and down the driveway. The seller said we could drive it home from PA where we bought it. Its gas tank is a milk jug!

Cindy
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Sharon, you and Cindy really struck a chord with me as I am a lifelong VW nut. I still own my first one, a 65 beetle. Before buying John and Louise's Northern Lite, we seroiusly considered getting a Westfalia, but Mailie wasn't ready to give up the toilet. I remember you telling me about your 'vert at the NOG, it looks pretty sweet. I should have mentioned to you the all VW charity cruise that was last weekend. It went from Federal Way to Snoqualmie Summit. Would have been a great day to bring her out as the weather was fantastic. There were over 400 cars. In addition to my bug, we also have a 67 squareback, a 72 Super Beetle, a 78 camper bus, and a 89 Jetta. I could talk VW all day. As far as the "new" VW minivan, it's pretty ironic that the real inventor of the minivan went to the self proclaimed inventor of the minivan to have one made. Cindy, love your single cab, do you think it would pull a Scamp 5th Wheel?
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
but Mailie wasn't ready to give up the toilet.

I should have mentioned to you the all VW charity cruise that was last weekend. It went from Federal Way to Snoqualmie Summit. Would have been a great day to bring her out as the weather was fantastic. There were over 400 cars.

Hmmm, why am I envisioning Mailie right now kind of like this

OH, I wish you had told me about the cruise, I SO would have been there!!!