Gas mileage better than expected - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Gas mileage better than expected

I just got back from a 200 mile trip this weekend that brought us over the coastal range on Hwy 26 to Fort Stevens This stretch has some good sized hills and I wanted to check if the transmition was going to be OK. I stuck to 45 up the really steep grades and kept it to 55 to 58 the rest. I ended up with close to 18 miles per gallon, which is great for the Hyundia Tucson. This should be one of the worst mileages we get with all the mountain passes. It will be eaisier to guesstimate distance between fillups as we get more miles built up.

Fort Stevens was great, it only rained Saturday night when we were ready to go to bed, and today it was sunny until we left around noon. I got to see the 5 foot diameter tree that had a lightning stick and took out 3 Yurts. It was all fixed up, but the Ranger said it left a big mess.

Since our first time out was NOG with all similar trailers, I was awe struck when we started comparing our 13 foot egg with everything else at the park. The only thing that looked around the same size was a homebuilt teardrop next door. I think we could have put in two of our complete SUV/ Trailer in the space we had. Backing up that far into the space was interesting as it only takes a tiny adjustment to make a big change in direction. I think I looked like a drunken sailer on a boat in a storm as I backed up.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Glad you and Dawn had fun. I can relate to the drunken sailor bit... do it frequently myself. Have any camping pictures to share?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
18 is really good!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Sorry Donna, no photo's taken. I need to start making it a point to so that. It's hard to remember when your with other people. When we are by ourselves, we take lots of shots.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote