Gas Nozzel Problems With Silverado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Gas Nozzel Problems With Silverado

7 times in stations in Wy. Ca. Wa. & Utha the gas Nozzel got caught in the capless fulling system. What a paine.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
7 times in stations in Wy. Ca. Wa. & Utha the gas Nozzel got caught in the capless fulling system. What a paine.
Hey Corky!

I drove a clients new Escalade from Fl to Me in May and had the same problems.
I sort of wonder exactly what the point of that thing is now?
I guess you just need to stop buying new trucks!

Ed

Best to Darlene too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

Illinois
Thank you Ed. Though I was The only having the problem as all the dealers we stop at said they never heard of the problem plus GM when I called them.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gas Nozzel Problems With Silverado

You might try a Silverado owner's forum. See if anyone else there is experiencing anything similar.

Dealers may not want to acknowledge an issue until there is a TSB with a fix.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Maybe not shove the nozzle in so far. I noticed on my Ford it is a little catchy if you do that.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
On my Ram with the ridiculous capless design, you have to shove the nozzle all the way in because there is a second check valve deeper in the fill pipe that must be pushed open to allow fuel to pass through.

A good fix is a 1 1/2" adjustable test plug for plumbing systems fits into the opening and seals it up just fine. These are easy to find at Home Depot and only coat about three bux.

With no plug, water and dirt can get in and go straight to the fuel tank. What a stupid design!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
Old 08-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
i've never seen one of these new filler things.... if someone could post a couple cell photos of one before/during a fillup, I'm curious...

i'm still getting used to diesel, where there's no restrictor or flap, just a wide open pipe for fuel, like my 1965 F100 had.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: Courtland PieperCo... I just bought a Ram EcoDiesel and have not experienced this problem... and it has two flaps that you must push the nozzel through or the fuel will just spill on the ground. I'm liking the capless fills as I lost one..."No strings attached" on my Fronty causing another SEL light on the dash. My GMC Sierra had cap issues and many replacements after CEL lights multiple times too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040819.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
On my Ram with the ridiculous capless design, you have to shove the nozzle all the way in because there is a second check valve deeper in the fill pipe that must be pushed open to allow fuel to pass through.

A good fix is a 1 1/2" adjustable test plug for plumbing systems fits into the opening and seals it up just fine. These are easy to find at Home Depot and only coat about three bux.

With no plug, water and dirt can get in and go straight to the fuel tank. What a stupid design!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

The cap is the result of bureaucracy gone wild and not the fault of the manufacturer. The dirt and water in the fuel excuse is a canard.
Dirt in the cap can, however, set an emissions code if the seal is held open as a result.
Even the diameter of the opening and the flap are regulated by the federal government from a time (1973) when it was reduced to prevent leaded fuel from being pumped into converter equipped vehicles.
Leaded fuel has been gone now for more than forty years, yet the restriction is still mandatory.
I have the Capless cap on my TC and have learned to tolerate it.
Mine came with a warning not to insert the nozzle too far and not to attempt topping off the tank.
It would be a violation of federal law to retrofit it with a conventional cap.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is no point "topping up the tank" in any event. The credit card you use doesn't care if it's handling round numbers or not.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
On my F150 it's capless, but we've never had a problem with the nozzle getting stuck. Perhaps it's a slightly different design.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is no point "topping up the tank" in any event. The credit card you use doesn't care if it's handling round numbers or not.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... I much prefer round figures!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #13

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The cap is the result of bureaucracy gone wild and not the fault of the manufacturer. The dirt and water in the fuel excuse is a canard.

On my Ram, the fuel door is not sealed and water can get past it and into the fuel filler tube. The first flap, or check valve is about 1" below the top of the pipe which can allow a 1" deep puddle of water to stand in the fill pipe and be drained into the tank. The whole area is dusty inside the fuel fill area behind the door. The dust also settles in the fuel fill pipe and gets on down into the tank.

As far as topping off goes, while filling the tank the nozzle often clicks off a couple of times for reasons other than the tank being full. So it gets re-started. This is the same as topping off. So I usually re-set the nozzle a couple of times to make sure it is actually full. This could be considered "topping it off" or it could be considered "re-starting". Either way, I want the tank to be full and I don't know if it is unless I attempt to top it off, or re-start it.

The plumbing test plug solves the dirt and water problem. When my truck was brand new, it came with a temporary plastic plug from the factory. I used this for some time until I discovered the plumbing plugs. Even the factory knew it was likely to get contaminants into the fill pipe and beyond.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
My Honda Ridgeline works fine, never a problem. From what I see with this type of system is if you stick the gas hose too far into the filler neck it can get caught and be hard to pull out and release. I would look at what you are doing when inserting the hose, make a slight adjustment, this might solve your problem.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #15

Illinois
Thanks to all who responded.