Gas vs Diesel Prices - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Gas vs Diesel Prices

For those keeping track of such things, The following prices were noted in the Loves truck stop at Quartzsite, AZ yesterday, Jan, 23rd

Regular Gas $3.09/gal
Diesel $3.84/gal

Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
That's about the same price spread as we've been seeing in OK for the last, oh, 6 months or thereabouts. Before that, diesel was only about 10% more almost all the time, for many years. Not sure what caused the change, but I hope it doesn't continue.

I've seen some states where gas and diesel cost about the same. Makes me scratch my head.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The US national price differential between regualr gas and diesel averages about $0.60 per gallon, about a 15-20% premium for diesel.

This is approaching a historical high. Some states tax diesel differently than gas.

States seem to be approaching fuel as a bigger source of revenue. For example MA is considering moving the state gas tax from 21 cents a gallon to 51 cents a gallon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Here in Calgary the best price right now is $0.94/liter for gas, and $1.05 for diesel. This is fairly typical in the past bunch of years for diesel to be 10-15% higher.

What I find is that while gas prices bounce up and down (and right now are on a 5+ year how pretty much), diesel prices tend to deviate a lot less.

I have driven a diesel truck for work for nearly 30 years now, and until recently diesel was always quite a bit cheaper than gas. I wish it was that way again, as all in all I consume more diesel than gas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #5

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Difference

Last time we filled our truck mid grade gas was $2.93/ Gal and diesel was
$4.09/Gal , a cost difference of "40%' . My son who lives 100 miles away recently paid $2.75 / Gal for Reg gasoline and diesel was $3.89 /gal. again a difference of "40% ". My friends with diesel vehicles would love to see the price difference decrease and I am afraid the oil companies will raise the price of gas to accomeplish that goal
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have never driven a diesel vehicle, but like Jim said, diesel has always been less expensive then gas. What has changed?
My brother thinks that there is a conspiracy afoot. Zero emissions, bad fuel, and now a higher price. He thinks that someone is trying to eliminate the diesel option.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Currently in N. Vancouver BC the costs are:
Reg Gas $1.27 liter or $4.80 US Gallon
Diesel $1.37 liter or $5.18 US Gallon
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #8

None
I have been told by a friend of mine who is an engineer for Ashland Oil that the demand ,price and profit on diesel fuel is greater in Europe than the USA . American and Canadian refineries have been shipping diesel fuel to Europe because that's where the money is! I know Koch refinery would ship fuels from Minnesota to Wisconsin
(ON PAPER) and back to Minnesota (ON PAPER) to create artificial shortages and cause the price to rise
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

California
Somehow I would doubt any claims that diesel fuel is being shipped from the U.S. to Europe in any great amount:

1. The cost of shipping the product would add significantly to it's cost
2. Higher prices in Europe for fuels are almost all due to very high taxes. Add to that, diesel in Europe is always less than petrol.
3. Any refinery that was shipping oil out of the U.S. would quickly become a target of any number of interest groups and would be "Outed" for what most consider "un-american activities" in a New York minute.

BTW: Diesels are hardly "Clean" They dump tons of particulate matter into the air and modern diesels now require expensive emission cleaning systems. Look up "Diesel Smog Check".
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
An interesting story in the LA Times on the topic of US fuel exports dated Nov 7, 2012.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
From the article:

Quote:
U.S. exports of all finished refined petroleum products, including gasoline and diesel, have risen more than 123% since 2006, to an average of more than 107 million gallons a day through the first eight months of this year. Mexico was the leading destination, followed by Canada and the Netherlands, and exports go to even unexpected places such as Venezuela, a member of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, which has more oil than it has the ability to refine it.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #12

None
They are also building one of the largest LNG terminals in the world in Louisiana so that LNG can be shipped from the USA to China and Europe . Multi National Oil Companies fear no one .Look at the BP , even after their public relations fiasco (Gulf Spill) there sales of refined product have remained fairly constant.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
While I would like the price of diesel to come down to even the gap with RUG, I'm not complaining too much. My wife's car goes about 250-300 miles a tank while I have been going about 700 miles. BTW both cars are based on same platform and have same fuel tanks. At that rate I'll still buy diesel and pay the higher price at the pump.

Of course RUG is 3.67/gal while D2 is 4.07/gal, so the spread is not so bad here.

Jason
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #14

California
Valero (and several others) are the well known "Whores" of the oil industry and were implicated in providing Sadam Hussein's govt (sp?) with illegal bribes disguised as part of the "food for oil" program in order to circumvent oil exporting sanctions imposed by the U.S.

Valero also attempted to use corporate money to quash CA emissions standards (and make even more money at their 2 CA refinery's) by sponsoring Proposition-23 several years ago. For that reason many, including myself, refuse to purchase their products, suggesting one reason why they are forced to conduct so much of their business outside of the U.S.

That aside, shipping refined products to countries that supply crude is only an example of balance of trade.

I would guess that the others represent a tiny fraction of annual production.

Although large sounding numbers are mentioned, no mention of the total precentage of U.S. production being exported is mentioned.

Although the article starts out claiming that oil exports are the cause of higher gas and diesel prices, there is nothing in the article that provides support for that claim.

This article didn't exactly make news headlines when it was new and gas prices were very high, somewhat pointing to a lack of substance.