Gator Tails - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Gator Tails

Hello All! Having just returned from a Cross Country trip from Florida to Wyoming and back I'm wondering if I'm the only one noticing all the tire pieces all over the interstates? This is my first cross country trip in years that but I just dont recall ever seeing that much debris on the highways ever! Is this part of the budget crunch? The states can't afford to clean off their highways? I've never had a tire chunk thrown at me ever and on this trip it happened twice where the car in front hit it and threw it at me before I could react. Thankfully it didnt damage my vehicle as it hit me flat and it didnt wrap around my tire. I was dodging junk all over the place and it wasnt in just one or two states. What gives?

Melissa, Thankful to be back home on cleaner Highways.
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Retreading a casing is a way to give a tire new life in order to reduce operating costs
and promote recycling. A retreaded tire is only as good as the retread manufacturing
and tire maintenance it receives throughout it’s entire life. If tires with low air pressure
are left to run they will generate more heat and therefore have a greater chance for failure. The high heat in the summer climate is a cause for retread failure and why you see more failed retreads in the summer months on the highway.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi...when we journeyed from new brunswick down to florida this past winter, we, too, noticed the large amount of tire debris on the roadsides. when we inquired, casually, at one welcome centre in georgia, where it seemed to be particularly bad, we were told that, indeed, it was due to budget cuts--no money to spend cleaning up the garbage. and it wasn't just tire pieces!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: melissab...We just returned from a nearby Provincial Pk. We were really sorry to see the amount of trash tossed into the scrub brush around the campsites and trails. No one picks up their trash and definately not their "Asphalt Alligators".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello All! . What gives?

I suspect that because you live in Wy and it is much less populated than most states you passed through you probably don't have the amount of trash thrown out on the highways. I lived in the mountains of Virginia for 25 years and we had a stockcar track about 2 miles from us and every Sunday the local roads were full of trash, we even went so far as to have the county put in a dumpster and we put trash barrells out along the wayside and they stayed empty but the road edges were all trash. As far as truck tires and retreads, most states have laws against using retreads on the trucks but the trailers they are pulling can still use them.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi Bill, actually, it's the other way around. We live in Florida and I went to Wyoming with the kids to visit my folks. I WISH I lived in Wyoming, LOL!

It's sad the state of our highways. Between road kill and tire debris it makes for a dangerous situation. That is one area I'd think the states would try and not cut back on. I'm sure the truckers hate it even more since that is their "work place".

Thanks for all the input,

Melissa in Florida

[QUOTE=Bill MacDermod;218720]I suspect that because you live in Wy and it is much less populated than most states you passed through you probably don't have the amount of trash thrown out on the highways.
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I just dont recall ever seeing that much debris on the highways ever! I was dodging junk all over the place and it wasnt in just one or two states. What gives?
Melissa, Try it on a bicycle! A couple of years ago I rode a bike solo - towing a trailer (alas, not fiber glass) - from CA to DC. Rode the southern route 'cause it was winter There were stretches of highway where there was everything, including the kitchen sink, dumped on the roadside.

The worst was the shredded tires - the wire cord was murder on bike and trailer tires. The rest seemed to be a combination of litter bugs and bad tie down technique and straps. I saw more of those hooked black rubber straps broken next to debris than I could count.

If we all use the right bungies/straps and make sure everything is secure it would cut down on a lot of junk. The rest is tire standards and litter law...

Oh, no state, CA included, was better than any other. The roads were as bad in the Mojave Desert as in the Atlanta suburbs...

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote