Generator Honda or Yamaha - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #21

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I think what your talking about is the brand Smart Tools (brand). I also did some research on them too but for just a couple of hundred more I went with a known brand Yamaha. Haven't looked back yet.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have had a couple of both Yamaha and Honda inverter gensets. They have all been 3,000W models. They all worked great, and I would not hesitate to buy either, in any size, again. Go with your best deal.

I have also had a couple of the cheaper ones. Not as quiet, and nowhere near as reliable.

It seems any of them can be stolen though
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #23

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I bought a Honda 2000 and companion based on watts needed to run the roof air, weight that an old man could carry, quietness, and brand reputation.
I started buying Yamaha motor cycles in 1969, and owned 6 of them over the next several years. The 4th, 5th, and 6th ones had major manufacturer defects. Two were tuned so poorly, they would not even get me home, and one had a transmission gear fall in two pieces in the first ten minutes of riding.
That was the end of my love affair with the Yammies. Since then I have owned a dozen or so Hondas. They were much more sorted out tuning wise, and only needed minor jetting changes for altitude. None had any mechanical problems from the factory. They all had remarkable reliability and held their value. I bought a Honda Fit automobile that now has 44000 miles with no repairs of any kind. NONE. It is a solid rattle free car with excellent fit and finish. I will trust Honda until they change their ways.
Russ
Yamaha may make perfectly fine generators, but they won't get me to be a guinea pig in their product development any more.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #24

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
We guys and gals I stopped by at one of my friends rental shop (Like A to Z rental ) and what do I see he is a Honda generator sales and repair shop. So guess what. He gave me a great price on a Honda 2000. So now all I need to do is save up some $$$.
Thanks for all the help and insight!
Jason
Old 10-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #25

Name: andrea
Trailer: currently shopping
Florida
Honda eu2000
afrench5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #26

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
So let us all in on the great deal he gave you!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #27

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
He made me promise not to tell but lets just say I could not find it any where on the internet any cheaper!
Jason
Old 11-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Well not sure how to start this but.....my best buddy has been an equipment and tool repairman for 40+ years. Took apart and put back together a Briggs engine when he was six years old and it ran fine. Anyway when I was looking for a generator I ask him which brand should I get. He didn't hesitate in saying a Honda because of the reliability of them. I should have known since all the generators, trash pumps and anything else that had a gas motor on it for power at the water district we worked for were Hondas. We needed them to work perfectly 24/7 for emergencies. Just FYI, I have run my roof air, I think it's a 9000 btu, on my Casita for nine hours on a tank of gas with my Honda 2000 and it hardly went over an idle when cycling on and off. It does run pretty much full tilt with the micro or coffee pot going though. As far as a fuel shut off switch goes, on the 2000 Honda once you shut the motor off you can drain the fuel bowl by opening the drain valve with a slotted screwdriver if you want to. I never do that but I also use Seafoam or Sta-bil in all my small motors. Even with no use in four or five months they start right up and run great.
Anyway I would say that's my two cents worth but after looking at how much I wrote I'll change it to three cents worth
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #29

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Honda makes an outstanding motor but my opinion is that Brigs has always made an outstanding motor also.

Have a 25 year old lawn mower with a Brigs Quantum motor and it starts on the 2nd pull even after setting all winter.
Just sayin.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I'll start by saying I don't presently own a generator and my TT doesn't have A/C so my needs are pretty light.

When I did my research on a portable inverter generator a friend at work introduced me to the Ryobi 2200-Watt Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator that is sold exclusively through Home Depot.

Ryobi 2200-Watt Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200 at The Home Depot

I found it intriguing and would probably own one if I needed it right now. It is very portable, quiet, runs smoothly and starts easily, and can be "daisy chained" with another for additional output if you need that sort of thing. It's less than $600 ($549 at the time of this posting).

He has used it regularly for a year with no problems and it's quite a bit cheaper than a Honda or Yamaha. If cost were no object, or if I needed more output or 30A, I'd opt for a Honda. I used to work for Honda many moons ago and I have a lot of respect for their products. But for as little as I would use it (I rarely boondock), it would be hard for me personally to justify the cost of a Honda. To me, this Ryobi, especially after seeing (and hearing) it run in person, seems to be a great compromise.
Attached Thumbnails
ed4414c4-259a-4034-b731-f414ffe5fdc0_1000.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator