Generator Noise & Outside Televisions - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Posts: 335
The recent topic, New Honda Generator, reminded me of our last outing at a NFS campground. Last year I purchased a new Honda EU2000iac but sold it after only one use because I thought it was too loud. After posting here about my experience many recommended placing the generator in locations where it wouldn't be as bothersome. So I purchased another one and gave it another try. I ran the generator in a variety of spots, on the opposite side of the trailer from where we were sitting, further away, etc., and although I can't say it was loud it was still irritating. I could only take it for about half an hour before turning it off. I guess that was enough to charge the battery for the rest of our stay so I guess job accomplished. Incidentally, we were one of only two in the campground at the time.

The other part of the story took place a few days later during the weekend. Just before nightfall the folks that moved in next to us removed from their truck a big old honkin' CRT type television and placed it under their trailer awning. Then they pulled out one of those cheap, loud generators and placed it between their truck and us. At the distance between us I would not have been able to hear the Honda. I know because I walked around to the neighboring campsites when mine was running and couldn't tell it was running when getting that far away. I didn't bother confronting our neighbors with the noise. It was our last night and we already had a couple of terrific nights under the stars next to a campfire. I gave our remaining firewood to a young family nearby and went inside our trailer, which totally canceled out the generator noise.

We're not experienced campers by any stretch but it seems to me that the choice and use of generators at campsites should be given more thought. Before using ours I asked the campground host if it was OK even though the site was practically deserted when I wanted to run it. Is a television really necessary while camping, especially for a brief weekend. Seems to me one could do without it for a few days. OK, rant off. I know this subject has been discussed often but it might not hurt to give it another go on the etiquette of campsite generator use.
__________________

__________________
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bruce Thomas's Avatar
 
Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Posts: 721
Registry
People who do that are inconsiderate........any knucklehead lighting off a noisey generator to watch a big screen at a campgound isn't smart enough to realize what he's doing........normally.
Bruce
__________________

__________________
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Ohio
Posts: 111
Everyone go green, get a solar panel , problem solved. They are great, no noise, no pollution, and if you cannot run it on solar maybe you don't need it.
__________________
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Augh! That would have driven me crazy! How is it that noise and light pollution are so overlooked?

Actually, more to the point: Where was their consideration for others? I mean, if the generator is not bothersome, put it on YOUR side of the truck.

:steamed:

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Posts: 335
Yes, solar seems like an excellent alternative but I think a generator has its place when used responsibly. I purchased this a few months ago to get my solar feet wet. It does an excellent job in maintaining the charge on the battery while the trailer is stored. I think I'm now ready to get a larger panel to partially replace the generator use. Any suggestions on a panel to charge the battery?
__________________
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16 ft
New York
Posts: 18
Quote:
The recent topic, New Honda Generator, reminded me of our last outing at a NFS campground. Last year I purchased a new Honda EU2000iac but sold it after only one use because I thought it was too loud. After posting here about my experience many recommended placing the generator in locations where it wouldn't be as bothersome. So I purchased another one and gave it another try. I ran the generator in a variety of spots, on the opposite side of the trailer from where we were sitting, further away, etc., and although I can't say it was loud it was still irritating. I could only take it for about half an hour before turning it off. I guess that was enough to charge the battery for the rest of our stay so I guess job accomplished. Incidentally, we were one of only two in the campground at the time.

The other part of the story took place a few days later during the weekend. Just before nightfall the folks that moved in next to us removed from their truck a big old honkin' CRT type television and placed it under their trailer awning. Then they pulled out one of those cheap, loud generators and placed it between their truck and us. At the distance between us I would not have been able to hear the Honda. I know because I walked around to the neighboring campsites when mine was running and couldn't tell it was running when getting that far away. I didn't bother confronting our neighbors with the noise. It was our last night and we already had a couple of terrific nights under the stars next to a campfire. I gave our remaining firewood to a young family nearby and went inside our trailer, which totally canceled out the generator noise.

We're not experienced campers by any stretch but it seems to me that the choice and use of generators at campsites should be given more thought. Before using ours I asked the campground host if it was OK even though the site was practically deserted when I wanted to run it. Is a television really necessary while camping, especially for a brief weekend. Seems to me one could do without it for a few days. OK, rant off. I know this subject has been discussed often but it might not hurt to give it another go on the etiquette of campsite generator use.
Steve, I have a question about the Honda generator.
How loud is it to other campers? Can you hear it pretty good from 20 ft away? lets say another campsite is 20 or 50 feet away or so would they hear it?
I myself do not mind the noise of my own generator, but I do worry about annoying other people....

I ask because I am considering getting one of these. Not that I have a big TV to watch or anything but I would like to be able to run the air conditioner on those hot nights.

Chris
__________________
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
I ask because I am considering getting one of these. Not that I have a big TV to watch or anything but I would like to be able to run the air conditioner on those hot nights.

Chris
I have found that most regulated campgrounds do not allow running of gen set after a certain hour. Night time use might be taboo.
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Ohio
Posts: 111
I run a 60 watt panel with a MKG or MGK type battery. No tv or air but I can go 4days if I get sun for a couple hours in those 4 days. Frig on propane and battery for water pump, lights, fan, radio, furnace fan. I have had the solar for five years and would go no other way. The option to go off the grid and camp where ever has provided some of the best camping spots.
__________________
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Posts: 335
Quote:
Steve, I have a question about the Honda generator.
How loud is it to other campers? Can you hear it pretty good from 20 ft away? lets say another campsite is 20 or 50 feet away or so would they hear it?
I myself do not mind the noise of my own generator, but I do worry about annoying other people....

I ask because I am considering getting one of these. Not that I have a big TV to watch or anything but I would like to be able to run the air conditioner on those hot nights.

Chris
While mine was running I walked around to some of the neighboring campsites and the sound was barely perceptible if heard at all from a distance of about 50 feet. I set up the generator on the opposite side of the trailer from the awning, where I sat reading. It just dawned on me that even though the trailer blocked some of the sound it was free to travel underneath. I should have put something else to deflect the sound there too. Or better yet, follow through with my earlier idea of putting the generator in the bed of my pickup with a camper shell. It has one of those carpeted bedliners that would help absorb the sound. I could have left the open end or open tailgate facing in the opposite direction. There was virtually no one else in the campground at the time. Maybe next time I'll try that if the same circumstances are present.

It's hard to describe but I can't say the Honda generator is loud like the neighbor's generator described earlier, just irritating like a fly that buzzes around your head. If I were doing something like chopping wood or fiddling with the trailer it probably wouldn't bother me as much but after about 10 minutes of sitting idle or reading a newspaper it's really irritating.
__________________
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It's hard to describe but I can't say the Honda generator is loud like the neighbor's generator described earlier,[b] just irritating like a fly that buzzes around your head. If I were doing something like chopping wood or fiddling with the trailer it probably wouldn't bother me as much but after about 10 minutes of sitting idle or reading a newspaper it's really irritating.
The 1st time I encountered a Honda eu2000i, I made a mental note of a similar observation. We were camping in a group in a boondocking situation, and the generator's owner used it to run his cpap machine. Under the circumstances, I could not begrudge him the noise, and I chalked it up to live-and-let-live. I decided though, that I didn't need a generator for myself at that time.

Much later, I experienced a Honda Generator that ran on Propane. That one was even quieter, it was barely audible!
I decided that propane would be the only way I would have a generator myself... someday...
Attached Thumbnails
EU2000_Cylinder.JPG  
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Posts: 346
Steve, next to that noisy group could have been your opportunity to bring out your tuba and practice scales.

But seriously, on this topic I imagine there is some pretty sophisticated solar technology available these days that would absorb light even under overcast skies and that would be great in some geographic areas that don't get a lot of sun.

Ed, my experience is that 4 days on a standard deep cell 12v house battery in good condition is quite normal w/o solar if you conserve.

There are times when traveling, just pulling off to the side of the road to prepare a meal and coffee or tea for the family and gen power is very handy.

And lastly Steve again, in my experience the Honda 3000 is quieter than the 2000.....substantially quieter.
__________________
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Posts: 335
Quote:
...
And lastly Steve again, in my experience the Honda 3000 is quieter than the 2000.....substantially quieter.
You've renewed my interest in the Honda 3000. I seriously considered it before purchasing the 2000 but couldn't resolve dealing with the extra weight. How do you handle it besides brute force? I would probably leave it in the bed of the pickup truck while camping but all I can see before and after the trip is a bad back.
__________________
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Quote:
There are times when traveling, just pulling off to the side of the road to prepare a meal and coffee or tea for the family and gen power is very handy.
I do that often, but I use my propane stove. I just mention it because sometimes people tend to forget the "old ways" and how simple (and silent) they can be.

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Posts: 346
Quote:
You've renewed my interest in the Honda 3000. I seriously considered it before purchasing the 2000 but couldn't resolve dealing with the extra weight. How do you handle it besides brute force? I would probably leave it in the bed of the pickup truck while camping but all I can see before and after the trip is a bad back.
When traveling, I leave it in the back of the PU. My AC cable reaches it nicely..leave the gate down and the hatch up. (canopy) Oh, it is heavy and takes another person to comfortably take it out of the PU in the off season.
__________________

__________________
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a noise so loud ronsmith100 General Chat 9 07-18-2011 04:26 PM
Televisions Steve Dunkel General Chat 32 05-21-2009 09:46 PM
Generator noise ? Anders Laurits General Chat 6 03-17-2008 12:23 AM
Honda Generator Noise Test Summary Normand Choiniere Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 05-04-2006 09:15 PM
Televisions General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.