Generator Noise & Outside Televisions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
The recent topic, New Honda Generator, reminded me of our last outing at a NFS campground. Last year I purchased a new Honda EU2000iac but sold it after only one use because I thought it was too loud. After posting here about my experience many recommended placing the generator in locations where it wouldn't be as bothersome. So I purchased another one and gave it another try. I ran the generator in a variety of spots, on the opposite side of the trailer from where we were sitting, further away, etc., and although I can't say it was loud it was still irritating. I could only take it for about half an hour before turning it off. I guess that was enough to charge the battery for the rest of our stay so I guess job accomplished. Incidentally, we were one of only two in the campground at the time.

The other part of the story took place a few days later during the weekend. Just before nightfall the folks that moved in next to us removed from their truck a big old honkin' CRT type television and placed it under their trailer awning. Then they pulled out one of those cheap, loud generators and placed it between their truck and us. At the distance between us I would not have been able to hear the Honda. I know because I walked around to the neighboring campsites when mine was running and couldn't tell it was running when getting that far away. I didn't bother confronting our neighbors with the noise. It was our last night and we already had a couple of terrific nights under the stars next to a campfire. I gave our remaining firewood to a young family nearby and went inside our trailer, which totally canceled out the generator noise.

We're not experienced campers by any stretch but it seems to me that the choice and use of generators at campsites should be given more thought. Before using ours I asked the campground host if it was OK even though the site was practically deserted when I wanted to run it. Is a television really necessary while camping, especially for a brief weekend. Seems to me one could do without it for a few days. OK, rant off. I know this subject has been discussed often but it might not hurt to give it another go on the etiquette of campsite generator use.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
People who do that are inconsiderate........any knucklehead lighting off a noisey generator to watch a big screen at a campgound isn't smart enough to realize what he's doing........normally.
Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Everyone go green, get a solar panel , problem solved. They are great, no noise, no pollution, and if you cannot run it on solar maybe you don't need it.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Augh! That would have driven me crazy! How is it that noise and light pollution are so overlooked?

Actually, more to the point: Where was their consideration for others? I mean, if the generator is not bothersome, put it on YOUR side of the truck.

:steamed:

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

Yes, solar seems like an excellent alternative but I think a generator has its place when used responsibly. I purchased this a few months ago to get my solar feet wet. It does an excellent job in maintaining the charge on the battery while the trailer is stored. I think I'm now ready to get a larger panel to partially replace the generator use. Any suggestions on a panel to charge the battery?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
The recent topic, New Honda Generator, reminded me of our last outing at a NFS campground. Last year I purchased a new Honda EU2000iac but sold it after only one use because I thought it was too loud. After posting here about my experience many recommended placing the generator in locations where it wouldn't be as bothersome. So I purchased another one and gave it another try. I ran the generator in a variety of spots, on the opposite side of the trailer from where we were sitting, further away, etc., and although I can't say it was loud it was still irritating. I could only take it for about half an hour before turning it off. I guess that was enough to charge the battery for the rest of our stay so I guess job accomplished. Incidentally, we were one of only two in the campground at the time.

The other part of the story took place a few days later during the weekend. Just before nightfall the folks that moved in next to us removed from their truck a big old honkin' CRT type television and placed it under their trailer awning. Then they pulled out one of those cheap, loud generators and placed it between their truck and us. At the distance between us I would not have been able to hear the Honda. I know because I walked around to the neighboring campsites when mine was running and couldn't tell it was running when getting that far away. I didn't bother confronting our neighbors with the noise. It was our last night and we already had a couple of terrific nights under the stars next to a campfire. I gave our remaining firewood to a young family nearby and went inside our trailer, which totally canceled out the generator noise.

We're not experienced campers by any stretch but it seems to me that the choice and use of generators at campsites should be given more thought. Before using ours I asked the campground host if it was OK even though the site was practically deserted when I wanted to run it. Is a television really necessary while camping, especially for a brief weekend. Seems to me one could do without it for a few days. OK, rant off. I know this subject has been discussed often but it might not hurt to give it another go on the etiquette of campsite generator use.
Steve, I have a question about the Honda generator.
How loud is it to other campers? Can you hear it pretty good from 20 ft away? lets say another campsite is 20 or 50 feet away or so would they hear it?
I myself do not mind the noise of my own generator, but I do worry about annoying other people....

I ask because I am considering getting one of these. Not that I have a big TV to watch or anything but I would like to be able to run the air conditioner on those hot nights.

Chris
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I ask because I am considering getting one of these. Not that I have a big TV to watch or anything but I would like to be able to run the air conditioner on those hot nights.

Chris
I have found that most regulated campgrounds do not allow running of gen set after a certain hour. Night time use might be taboo.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
I run a 60 watt panel with a MKG or MGK type battery. No tv or air but I can go 4days if I get sun for a couple hours in those 4 days. Frig on propane and battery for water pump, lights, fan, radio, furnace fan. I have had the solar for five years and would go no other way. The option to go off the grid and camp where ever has provided some of the best camping spots.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Steve, I have a question about the Honda generator.
How loud is it to other campers? Can you hear it pretty good from 20 ft away? lets say another campsite is 20 or 50 feet away or so would they hear it?
I myself do not mind the noise of my own generator, but I do worry about annoying other people....

Chris
While mine was running I walked around to some of the neighboring campsites and the sound was barely perceptible if heard at all from a distance of about 50 feet. I set up the generator on the opposite side of the trailer from the awning, where I sat reading. It just dawned on me that even though the trailer blocked some of the sound it was free to travel underneath. I should have put something else to deflect the sound there too. Or better yet, follow through with my earlier idea of putting the generator in the bed of my pickup with a camper shell. It has one of those carpeted bedliners that would help absorb the sound. I could have left the open end or open tailgate facing in the opposite direction. There was virtually no one else in the campground at the time. Maybe next time I'll try that if the same circumstances are present.

It's hard to describe but I can't say the Honda generator is loud like the neighbor's generator described earlier, just irritating like a fly that buzzes around your head. If I were doing something like chopping wood or fiddling with the trailer it probably wouldn't bother me as much but after about 10 minutes of sitting idle or reading a newspaper it's really irritating.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It's hard to describe but I can't say the Honda generator is loud like the neighbor's generator described earlier,[b] just irritating like a fly that buzzes around your head. If I were doing something like chopping wood or fiddling with the trailer it probably wouldn't bother me as much but after about 10 minutes of sitting idle or reading a newspaper it's really irritating.
The 1st time I encountered a Honda eu2000i, I made a mental note of a similar observation. We were camping in a group in a boondocking situation, and the generator's owner used it to run his cpap machine. Under the circumstances, I could not begrudge him the noise, and I chalked it up to live-and-let-live. I decided though, that I didn't need a generator for myself at that time.

Much later, I experienced a Honda Generator that ran on Propane. That one was even quieter, it was barely audible!
I decided that propane would be the only way I would have a generator myself... someday...
Attached Thumbnails
EU2000_Cylinder.JPG  
Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Steve, next to that noisy group could have been your opportunity to bring out your tuba and practice scales.

But seriously, on this topic I imagine there is some pretty sophisticated solar technology available these days that would absorb light even under overcast skies and that would be great in some geographic areas that don't get a lot of sun.

Ed, my experience is that 4 days on a standard deep cell 12v house battery in good condition is quite normal w/o solar if you conserve.

There are times when traveling, just pulling off to the side of the road to prepare a meal and coffee or tea for the family and gen power is very handy.

And lastly Steve again, in my experience the Honda 3000 is quieter than the 2000.....substantially quieter.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
And lastly Steve again, in my experience the Honda 3000 is quieter than the 2000.....substantially quieter.
You've renewed my interest in the Honda 3000. I seriously considered it before purchasing the 2000 but couldn't resolve dealing with the extra weight. How do you handle it besides brute force? I would probably leave it in the bed of the pickup truck while camping but all I can see before and after the trip is a bad back.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
There are times when traveling, just pulling off to the side of the road to prepare a meal and coffee or tea for the family and gen power is very handy.
I do that often, but I use my propane stove. I just mention it because sometimes people tend to forget the "old ways" and how simple (and silent) they can be.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
You've renewed my interest in the Honda 3000. I seriously considered it before purchasing the 2000 but couldn't resolve dealing with the extra weight. How do you handle it besides brute force? I would probably leave it in the bed of the pickup truck while camping but all I can see before and after the trip is a bad back.
When traveling, I leave it in the back of the PU. My AC cable reaches it nicely..leave the gate down and the hatch up. (canopy) Oh, it is heavy and takes another person to comfortably take it out of the PU in the off season.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
I do that often, but I use my propane stove. I just mention it because sometimes people tend to forget the "old ways" and how simple (and silent) they can be.

Raya
and we walked a mile to school in the snow....uphill!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Yes, solar seems like an excellent alternative but I think a generator has its place when used responsibly. I purchased this a few months ago to get my solar feet wet. It does an excellent job in maintaining the charge on the battery while the trailer is stored. I think I'm now ready to get a larger panel to partially replace the generator use. Any suggestions on a panel to charge the battery?
Steve, the BatteryMinder solar controller is a good quality unit, but the solar panel that comes with it . . . leaves a lot to be desired.

Recently I bought a pair of Rasmond 20w Solar Panels off of eBay for $70/each; these are the panels I'll be using at the Oregon Gathering next month to demonstrate how to assemble a good quality "portable" solar panel set on a budget. When I get back from Bandon I'll be posting the plans and parts list online.

The Rasmond panels I got are a good quality product at a good price ($3.50/watt for 20w panels, $3.00/watt for 50 & 80 watt panels, shipping included if you play your cards right while bidding on eBay). I'm really pleased with them and may buy another set.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
Just some observations from our travels....
I know that everyone's idea of "camping" is different. But gone are the days of a truly peaceful outdoor experience with fresh air and beautiful scenery. Those of us who prefer this type of "camping" are lucky to stumble upon it on rare occasion.

In campgrounds without hookups, there is always someone running a generator with different levels of noise and steady exhaust fumes. At Acadia NP we had to leave our campsite to have breakfast and dinner at a picnic area since our neighbor was positioned with their RV blowing their exhaust directly at us while they were indoors cooking. (just one example)

In campgrounds with hookups, there are always folks who run air conditioners when the temps are above 72 and furnaces when the temps are below 72. So there is always a hummmm of some sort going on. The cost of this electric usage is spread over all "campers" so that those who do not use lots of appliances are subsidizing those who do.

The quiet "campers" (including tenters and rv'ers who use their rv's like tents) still seem to outnumber those who need their appliances and gadgets. But because noise and exhaust cannot really be contained to one's own campsite, the experience of the many is sacrificed for the desires of the few. We've been at several campgrounds where "non-users" stand up and cheer when the "users" finally shut off all their stuff at 10 p.m. quiet time.

I've thought about this dilemma many times and tried to come up with possible solutions. It would be nice if campground managers would create separate loops to accommodate campers who prefer to hear children laughing and birds singing rather than the constant hummmm of appliances and gadgets.

Any ideas??
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Last year at a Branson, Mo. campground we were put between 2 large motorhomes-both with generators or their motors running. After an hour I said enough!!
We had our 13ft. Casita at that time- so I ask the campground office if we could move to a quiet area. She put us at the back of the campground-quiet, trees and also chipmonks to watch. Give me quiet and nature to watch-I will be happy.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul
my u-haul is all elect and i carry my genny in the back of my pu w/camper shell on the bed and most of our camping is on the beaches here in lovely Texas's Gavleston bay.

when i park i angle the pu at 90% from our camper and with the genny in the pu the sound is muffled on 3 sides and top and bottom, so 90% of the time we dont hear it at all now does any one else.

but i do have one problem, i never hear it when it runs out of gas late at night heheh, gata make a bigger gas tank !
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Steve, the BatteryMinder solar controller is a good quality unit, but the solar panel that comes with it . . . leaves a lot to be desired.

Recently I bought a pair of Rasmond 20w Solar Panels off of eBay for $70/each; these are the panels I'll be using at the Oregon Gathering next month to demonstrate how to assemble a good quality "portable" solar panel set on a budget. When I get back from Bandon I'll be posting the plans and parts list online.

The Rasmond panels I got are a good quality product at a good price ($3.50/watt for 20w panels, $3.00/watt for 50 & 80 watt panels, shipping included if you play your cards right while bidding on eBay). I'm really pleased with them and may buy another set.
Peter - I was hoping you would join in the discussion. I recall earlier that you said the BatteryMinder solar controller was good quality and figured that the included panel was a good way to get my feet wet. The 5W panel has worked well to maintain the level of the battery while the trailer is stored. Even it finds legs the cost made it nothing to worry about. I think I'm ready now for something a little bigger to actually charge the battery while camping and hopefully not run the generator. I don't want to permanently install the panel, just prop it up against the trailer when needed to charge the battery. I also would like to keep the size to a minimum for storage in the pickup bed. Do you think that one 80W panel would be sufficient. The trailer has only one Group 24 battery and serves our needs for up to 3 or 4 days.

Tags
generator