Generator question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
In a campground, just plug into the available power.

That is assuming that all campgrounds have power.... here for example few of our Provincial campgrounds do.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #16
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
In a campground, just plug into the available power.
Not all campgrounds have power and not all sites in all campgrounds have power either. Just ask some of the folks camped this passed weekend at the Spring NOG.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #17
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper, 2002 Highlander 3.0L, 1999 F250 7.3L Diesel
Ditto others. Our little Honda 2000 generator runs our EggCamper's air conditioner just fine when needed. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #18
Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
My all time favorite generator is this;

I have the re-branded version;

This thing is awesome. It runs my 5,300 BTU and 5,000 BTU AC units just fine, as well as all the other things I want to run in my Scamp. Best of all, it's darn near Honda quiet, it's pure sine wave, and it only weighs like 23 lbs. You just can't beat this.
It is sold out at the moment for the re-brand one, but look for a price of about $250.

Of note, if you get one of these do NOT fill it with the amount of oil they tell you to.
It is dead wrong. Start with 200cc of oil and then check with the dipstick where it is, or visually look and fill it until it just touches the bottom threads for the fill port. NO MORE. If you look at reviews of these on Amazon you will see people talking about it blowing smoke and quitting. They overfilled it, no exceptions.

I tested it and got the same result.

Anyway for those who need supplemental power but don't want to have to wear ear plugs/ piss off other campers, there's nothing better IMO. And I doubt if it will ever be too heavy for anyone. My girlfriend can pick it up without issue, and she's tiny.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #19
Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Oh I forgot to mention, you should charge through your power converter in almost all cases. For example, on the generator I just posted the 12v out is both unregulated, meaning with eco mode off the voltage is higher, and that if you leave it connected too long it will not stop charging which is bad. As well as limited to only 4 amps. that means it's putting out less than 1/10th the power that way.

If you have a nice power converter with multiple stage charging definitely use that on the 120v out of the generator.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #20
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
I have owned a 2000 w Honda Generator for several years. Never had a bit of trouble with it, and it is quite for a generator.

However, if keeping my Scamp's battery charged was my only interest....I'd just hook up my auto to the trailer and let the auto's alternator charge the battery rather quickly. The auto;s alternator will charge a battery much faster than an generator I have owned,

Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #21
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
I've been to plenty of CGs with no hookups whatsoever. And when folks ran their generators, I was grateful for the Hondas and such.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote