Generator to power A/C on 2013 16' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
First, while there may be 30,000 members, I doubt if as many as 1% will see this question. Then you have to parse that down to those that actually have or had portable generators.

But to answer the question: I have had a portable generator stolen from a mini motorhome's storage compartment and, as generators seem to be much more common with that group, I know of at least 5-6 others in the Toyota Motorhome group that reported portable generators stolen.

There are signs posted at some campgrounds and beaches suggesting that portable generators not be left out when not being used and be secured when they are being used. It's not that campers can't be trusted, it's that the perps out there know where to go to find them to liberate them for resale.

Because they are so popular with flea market sellers, construction workers, off-grid peeps, tail gate partiers, the whole range of campers and many others, there is a ready market for them.

Here in SoCal Honda 2000's sell in minutes on Craigslist for $500, no questions asked.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Well I found this posting. It's not a scamp, but it's not a bad idea.
Honda EU2000i Generator Install

I also read about people putting GPS trackers in their generators like the ones used for bicycles. In between all those ideas were testimonials of generators locked with chains getting stolen 30 ft away from where they were hanging out....even in busy areas like race tracks.
Sorry, yes it is a bad idea.... One would think that if there was a safe and reliable way to mount a Honda 2000 inside an RV compartment that Honda would have offered it or at least offered a kit of some sort. The risks and liability of CO poisoning are just too high, not to mention risk overheating the motor/alternator.

There is never a shortage of those that think that they are smarter than some of the worlds best engineers.

BUT... To also link to Norms question, note that the person mentioned not only changed the locks on the compartment door, he also used a cable to lock it in place in the compartment.

Mine was stolen from a locked storage compartment just before I learned that almost all baggage doors use the same "CH751" key. And mine wasn't even a Honda.....

BTW: Honda DID make a liquid cooled RV generator a few years back, but it has been long discontinued.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #17

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Thanks Bob, so most RVs have liquid cooled units installed? Are they any small ones like the Honda? I also found this thread which discusses mounting one up front and under a cover. Doesn't seem like a safe idea to have it a) close to a propane tank and b) so close to the camper without a long exhaust pipe but people posted that it is something they have done for years.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. The question I should be asking is...how can I keep my dogs cool during the day while away from a 30a power source in temps above 80 degrees? I have a fantastic fan...but I don't think that is enough.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #18

California
Except in the very biggest Motorhomes, which tend to have diesel powered generators, almost all smaller RV gensets are aircooled.

The small Honda mentioned was sorta an odd-ball design that cost more than the air-cooled units it competed with and that Honda couldn't get installed by RV builders to popularize it on new units.

By nature, liquid cooled engines are usually quieter than air cooled engines.

And yep, you have a tough problem to solve. By chance are these racing venues in areas of LOW humidity? If so, a 12 volt evaporative cooler might be an answer, but humidity has to be well below 50% for them to even start to work.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #19

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
They do make a theft prevention that is a Honda EU2000 Theft Deterrent Bracket for $49.95. However if they want it they will take it. It will deter the more honest or lazy.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #20

New Hampshire
Most of the places we visit are in the Northeast, so humidity will be high on the days we'd want to run the A/C.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #21

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
They do make a theft prevention that is a Honda EU2000 Theft Deterrent Bracket for $49.95. However if they want it they will take it. It will deter the more honest or lazy.
Thanks, I found that when I was googling earlier and its definitely something I would add. One other idea I saw was to bolt the unit to a large board and drive over part of the board with your car or trailer. The thief would have to lift the trailer to get under and remove the bolts. Pretty neat idea.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #22

California
Keep reading, you are not supposed to run the generator close to the trailer.

Setting a Honda 2000 outside is like setting gold on the ground, unless there is an easier one to steal nearby, someone will figure out a way to mine it.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post

For those that don't know, that is a metal handle wrap that will fit over the plastic handle on the Honda 2000. The need for this attests to the ease of cutting the handle to steal a generator
Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Keep reading, you are not supposed to run the generator close to the trailer.

To expand on that a bit:

While rules vary widely per spectator/camper use of generators at racing events, most sponsoring organizations do regulate their use among "support crews". Any casual user at such events would be wise to abide by the same rules, even if they're not posted as applying to camper/spectators.

Here quoting from one large organization's rules page:

Quote:
9:4 GENERATORS
All generators, air compressors, etc. that are powered by an
internal combustion engine must have the exhaust directed up and
above the top of the trailer, truck, RV, tent/awning, etc. and clear of
other people’s pits.
Source: National Hot Rod Assn. General Regulations
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I was also going to ask about theft. Is there a good way to lock the generator to your camper? Has anyone done a permanent installation of some sort?
Orbital Machine Works recently released a very well designed mount for the 2000i. Some of their design people are Casita nuts.

LowPro LockDown security mount system for Honda EU2000i generator

On sale right now for $200.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #26

New Hampshire
Ahh that's perfect!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #27

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Harbor Freight 800 watt generator powering a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #28

California
One would last about 10 minutes running that generator in a camp ground. But, then again, the generator might not last that long anyway!!!!! LOL

Tags
generator, scamp