Generator to power A/C on 2013 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Generator to power A/C on 2013 16' Scamp

We plan on hitting a few auto racing events this summer that don't have sites with hookups. Since we have dogs that sleep in the camper during the day I want to make sure I have A/C coverage. Can someone recommend a generator that can handle the load of the A/C unit on our 16' scamp?

Will the Honda EU2000I handle it or do we need more power?
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
All it would take is some irritated camper to shut off your generator while you are off at the races, and you will have dogs to bury.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
To answer your question I use a Honda 2000 on my SD17 which has a 9000 btu roof A/C and it only runs at half throttle when the AC cycles on. The microwave or coffee pot takes it to full rpm. During a power outage here in the desert (90* night) we slept in it and the genny ran for 8 1/4 hrs on a full one gal tank of gas. Cheaper than the house AC mmmmm
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
How many BTU is the A/C on the Scamp?

FWIW, left for a walk around the CG loop while our 2000 was charging the batteries. Either it stalled, which it's never done, or someone turned it off while we were gone.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #5

New Hampshire
I didn't think about the inconsiderate people who would turn of someone's generator. However this won't be a NASCAR event where we park miles away. We will be in the infield close by and making frequent checkups to let them out. Noise is a non-issue with cars racing around nearby.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
The Honda 2000 will do the job....I went with a Yamaha ef2400 because I like the fuel shutoff to let the carb run dry, and it was the smallest unit that would run my mom's fridge just in case (Hurricane sandy was a learning experience lol)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I would love to see a comparison Honda vs. Yamaha. I am working around to getting another genny and those two are on my short list. I have a little 1000 watt Coleman and a 10KW (welding machine/generator combo) but nothing in between. A neighbor had the Yamaha but I did not take advantage of checking it out before he moved. I would be comfortable with the Honda but if the Yamaha has features I liked or a better price I wouldn't mind going that route. Actually, I think I am going to buy some solar stuff before I get another generator though!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #8

New Hampshire
If I could power the A/C with solar...wishful thinking.

The Yamaha ef2400 is a little more expensive than the Honda. I also saw Generac has a 2000w product at a very affordable price but the reviews on Amazon were scathing.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yamaha has a good reputation and yes its $300 more then the Honda 2000 but I think it was a good investment. It runs my 5000btu ac unit for about 9 hours on the 1.6 gallon gas tank which is perfect for me. I let it run for about an hour to cool and dehumidify my ParkLiner and sleep about 6 hours... get up make coffee all while being air conditioned! I thought I would need to go the extended tank route but looking good the way it is.

I have a 8000btu window ac unit with the same size footprint as the 5000, I'm thinking about swapping them out and see what the run time would be.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's not the RUN current of your A/C that's the problem, it's the Hot Start or Locked Rotor Current that will be the limiting factor.

Most 13,500 BTU RV a/c's will stall the Honda 2000 on a restart.

And believe me, even non-NASCAR fans came to hear the engines, not your generator. It will get turned off if it's noisy or stolen if it's a Honda that's left unattended, you aren't at a Sunday Tea & Biscuits meet with Lady Marion...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #11

New Hampshire
I was also going to ask about theft. Is there a good way to lock the generator to your camper? Has anyone done a permanent installation of some sort?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #12

A big cable or chain attached to the generator and the other end attached to a 150 lb German Shepherd might be a good idea as the plastic handles are usually easier and quicker to cut than any securing system. If someone took 60 seconds to steal one, they were amateurs.

And the question of permanently installing one of these is oft discussed, but the bottom line is that all manufacturers state that they are for external use only. But this quickly becomes the same discussion as towing over TV weight limits.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
There are about 30,000 members of this site. Out of curiosity how many have personally had a generator stolen?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #14

New Hampshire
Well I found this posting. It's not a scamp, but it's not a bad idea.
Honda EU2000i Generator Install

I also read about people putting GPS trackers in their generators like the ones used for bicycles. In between all those ideas were testimonials of generators locked with chains getting stolen 30 ft away from where they were hanging out....even in busy areas like race tracks.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #15

First, while there may be 30,000 members, I doubt if as many as 1% will see this question. Then you have to parse that down to those that actually have or had portable generators.

But to answer the question: I have had a portable generator stolen from a mini motorhome's storage compartment and, as generators seem to be much more common with that group, I know of at least 5-6 others in the Toyota Motorhome group that reported portable generators stolen.

There are signs posted at some campgrounds and beaches suggesting that portable generators not be left out when not being used and be secured when they are being used. It's not that campers can't be trusted, it's that the perps out there know where to go to find them to liberate them for resale.

Because they are so popular with flea market sellers, construction workers, off-grid peeps, tail gate partiers, the whole range of campers and many others, there is a ready market for them.

Here in SoCal Honda 2000's sell in minutes on Craigslist for $500, no questions asked.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Well I found this posting. It's not a scamp, but it's not a bad idea.
Honda EU2000i Generator Install

I also read about people putting GPS trackers in their generators like the ones used for bicycles. In between all those ideas were testimonials of generators locked with chains getting stolen 30 ft away from where they were hanging out....even in busy areas like race tracks.
Sorry, yes it is a bad idea.... One would think that if there was a safe and reliable way to mount a Honda 2000 inside an RV compartment that Honda would have offered it or at least offered a kit of some sort. The risks and liability of CO poisoning are just too high, not to mention risk overheating the motor/alternator.

There is never a shortage of those that think that they are smarter than some of the worlds best engineers.

BUT... To also link to Norms question, note that the person mentioned not only changed the locks on the compartment door, he also used a cable to lock it in place in the compartment.

Mine was stolen from a locked storage compartment just before I learned that almost all baggage doors use the same "CH751" key. And mine wasn't even a Honda.....

BTW: Honda DID make a liquid cooled RV generator a few years back, but it has been long discontinued.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #17

New Hampshire
Thanks Bob, so most RVs have liquid cooled units installed? Are they any small ones like the Honda? I also found this thread which discusses mounting one up front and under a cover. Doesn't seem like a safe idea to have it a) close to a propane tank and b) so close to the camper without a long exhaust pipe but people posted that it is something they have done for years.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. The question I should be asking is...how can I keep my dogs cool during the day while away from a 30a power source in temps above 80 degrees? I have a fantastic fan...but I don't think that is enough.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #18

Except in the very biggest Motorhomes, which tend to have diesel powered generators, almost all smaller RV gensets are aircooled.

The small Honda mentioned was sorta an odd-ball design that cost more than the air-cooled units it competed with and that Honda couldn't get installed by RV builders to popularize it on new units.

By nature, liquid cooled engines are usually quieter than air cooled engines.

And yep, you have a tough problem to solve. By chance are these racing venues in areas of LOW humidity? If so, a 12 volt evaporative cooler might be an answer, but humidity has to be well below 50% for them to even start to work.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #19

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
They do make a theft prevention that is a Honda EU2000 Theft Deterrent Bracket for $49.95. However if they want it they will take it. It will deter the more honest or lazy.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #20

New Hampshire
Most of the places we visit are in the Northeast, so humidity will be high on the days we'd want to run the A/C.

Tags
generator, scamp