Generator - Tri fuel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Theron
Trailer: Looking!
Idaho
Generator - Tri fuel

I've settled on the Honda EU2000i generator over a few other great options out there. Like the Yamaha EF2000iS and much lower priced Champion (sold at Sams/Costco). The generator is going to be used to power 2 laptops, harddrives, some interior lights, and once in awhile that 9500BTU a/c on the ole 17' Casita.

After thinking about it more I figure if I'm going to drop $1000 on a generation, I might as well spend a little more and have it run on LP too.

I found a conversation kit for $165 bucks:

Honda EU2000i Propane Kits

But I started looking more and I found a company that sells a conversion already done, with a warranty through them. Although that warranty might end up being a hassle in the end:

Inverter Generator with CMD Triple-Fuel System

I'm mostly considering going LP so I don't have to mess around with gas? I keep a 5 gal Jerry can in the back of my pickup right now for extra gas. I use a super syphon if I do have to use it. But that Jerry can is way too cumbersome for frequent use. Do ya'll have a gas can that pours easy and stores well for travel use?
tjhva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How long would a 2000 watt generator run off a 20# tank?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Just a few thoughts on another option for your consideration.

The conversion kit on the Honda voids the 3-year warranty.

An extended run tank mounted on the tongue will run the generator for days instead of hours. The fuel pump from the generator pulls the gasoline into the generator from the extended run tank.

You can fill the extended run tank at the gas station when you fill your tow vehicle. No lifting or pouring or worries about gas fumes when carrying fuel in your vehicle.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
How long would a 2000 watt generator run off a 20# tank?
I've seen some folks saying online that it will run for 30 hours on #20. But I can't say if that 100% true or not. Here is one source:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=702335

And if you scroll down on this link, they have some consumption figures:

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...2000i_Tri_Fuel

So, by those numbers if you fill your 20# tank with 4 gallons of LP and you run your generator at half load you'd get 40 hours of run time.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have several friends that converted generators to LP only to quickly realize that it's easier to find gas than LP when you run out. As small as our tanks are that could quickly become a PITA. Also... Your Honda warrantee is voided as soon as you do the conversion.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron100 View Post
Just a few thoughts on another option for your consideration.

The conversion kit on the Honda voids the 3-year warranty.

An extended run tank mounted on the tongue will run the generator for days instead of hours. The fuel pump from the generator pulls the gasoline into the generator from the extended run tank.

You can fill the extended run tank at the gas station when you fill your tow vehicle. No lifting or pouring or worries about gas fumes when carrying fuel in your vehicle.
Wouldn't the same be true for LP? Setup to use one of the LP tanks on the front of the Casita. Well, aside from filling up at the gas station.

Best I can see LP and Gas have similar run times.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have several friends that converted generators to LP only to quickly realize that it's easier to find gas than LP when you run out. As small as our tanks are that could quickly become a PITA. Also... Your Honda warrantee is voided as soon as you do the conversion.
What gas can are ya'll using? I'd love to find one that's sealed well and didn't have the annoying new EPA spout.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
Wouldn't the same be true for LP? Setup to use one of the LP tanks on the front of the Casita. Well, aside from filling up at the gas station.

Best I can see LP and Gas have similar run times.
Sure, the LP on the tongue could fuel the conversion.

Other thoughts, When on the road gasoline is more available then propane . Propane re -fillers require me to remove the tank from the tongue. I don't have to do that with the extended run tank. When somebody runs out of gas, I can easily siphon gas from my extended run tank and add to stranded vehicle.(me one time when I was daydreaming and did not pay attention to the gas gauge).
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #9

Idaho
Quote:
Sure, the LP on the tongue could fuel the conversion.

Other thoughts, When on the road gasoline is more available then propane . Propane re -fillers require me to remove the tank form the tongue. I don't have to do that with the extended run tank. When somebody runs out of gas, I can easily siphon gas from my extended run tank and add to stranded vehicle.(me one time when I was daydreaming and did not pay attention to the gas gauge).
What tank and gas cap did ya end up using? Do you have images of your mounting setup too?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhva View Post
What tank and gas cap did ya end up using? Do you have images of your mounting setup too?
Berg Extended Run tank with necessary gas cap from Wise Sales

Honda and Extended Run Tank Installed

Base for Extended Run Tank Slides Out Under Tongue

Or Store Under Tongue
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I run a forklift tank with a quick fill port. I don't have to remove it to fill it.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane Tank End.jpg   Propane Tank.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

Base for Extended Run Tank Slides Out Under Tongue

Or Store Under Tongue
Great looking setup there, Ron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I run a forklift tank with a quick fill port. I don't have to remove it to fill it.
That is an interesting idea, Dave. I am thinking of building (or having built) a small tongue box to house my bottles, and possibly have bike mounts on top. This would drop the height down nicely.

How much propane does it hold, and how much does it cost? What is involved in hooking it up to the trailer, as I thought that forklifts drew the liquid out of the tank, and not the gas, but I don't know this for certain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Are these generators going to be large enough to run your air conditioner? I realize that you are discussing fuel options here, but you may have a challenge with the air conditioner.

At one time I had a Yamaha EF2400iS. It has since died and been replaced with a larger Subaru inverter generator.The 2400is generator is one size bigger then the one you are considering. It really struggled to start a 15000btu RV air conditioner. Sometimes it would do it, but many times it would rev really hard and then overload. Once the air conditioner was started, it would run all day. You just had to set the temperature at the coldest setting so it would never cycle off and on.

You are talking about a smaller generator and a smaller air conditioner. Your electronics and lights draw very little electricity, so you will be fine there. It may be that with your 9500 BTU A/C you will be ok. Just make sure your generator has enough juice for your needs.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Great looking setup there, Ron.

That is an interesting idea, Dave. I am thinking of building (or having built) a small tongue box to house my bottles, and possibly have bike mounts on top. This would drop the height down nicely.

How much propane does it hold, and how much does it cost? What is involved in hooking it up to the trailer, as I thought that forklifts drew the liquid out of the tank, and not the gas, but I don't know this for certain.
The bottle I bought holds 33.4lb. It is aluminum. I had the quick fill valve moved from the vapor port to the liquid draw port and a vapor draw valve added to the vapor port. It was ridiculously expensive at $240 and the bracket was $125, or so, I think. It just bolts to the propane shelf on the trailer frame.
The same brackets can hold a 43.4lb bottle, in either steel, or aluminum. I think the steel bottles are a bit less expensive.
I like being able to fill with out removing the bottle, and like you said, it takes up less space.

All the gory details can be found at:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ank-49385.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Thanks for the info and link, Dave. I will be definitely considering doing something like this, though not sure when. I will just add it to my long list of things to do.

If you think that bottle and brackets are pricey, try getting some prices on a custom aluminum box. Not cheap.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #16

Name: Ryan
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
I was browsing for a conversion fuel kit and came across this site. After looking through their site for about 5 minutes, I found what I was looking for and called their business. Their staff was extremely helpful in helping me find what I was looking for. This is their site centuryfuelproducts.com and I would recommend them to anyone who would like to buy conversion kits or has questions about them.
ryanlafferty48188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

Name: Ryan
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
Hello all,

I have been looking for a new generator conversion kits for my rv. While I have used US Carburation's kit and Nash fuels in the past, I have discovered another company provided me with quality service. I ordered this from Century Fuel Product's website and their business was top notch. Their conversion kit has all the necessary parts needed in order for me to complete my conversion. I own a Honda EU3000iS and was looking to convert it to run on propane, natural gas, and gasoline (Tri-Fuel). The conversion kit that I needed was the SEK-4A and the SEK-5A Kits. The quality of their product and their service excellent. This is the link to their conversion kit page.

Small Engine Propane Generators Kits, Natural Gas Converter Kit, Makita, Winco, Yamaha, Homelite

Ryan
ryanlafferty48188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator