Generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Running the generator in the rain should not be an issue. I run mine in the rain all the time.

I wouldn't do it with the older "open" style ones.

I have a Generac 800 watt inverter genny that is quiet, and obviously, rain proof :-P One day, when I am rich, I will get a Honda tho. They are even quieter.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #16

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
I'm curious if anyone has been using a Hyundai generator? I don't have a generator and have been able to get along camping without one but.. I look and ponder. While in a Walmart yesterday I noticed they had a full range of Hyundai generators in stock; small 'enclosed' ones as well as larger 'open' models. They were priced well below Honda or Yamaha generators of similar size. With the Hyundai cars being rated as some of the best quality cars produced anywhere these days I wonder if their push for quality translates to their generators? If I were to seriously consider a generator the operating noise would be my first priority; something Honda and Yamaha have taken to heart.
Barrie

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Barrie, I saw those as well. Walmart's return policies may allow you to try one out for a few days.

Mary Ann to answer your question, we use a generator often when dry camping and once when power was knocked out during a thunder storm at a full hook up campground. It's great to be able to use it for food prep on those long road-trip meal stops.

Many campgrounds have restrictions for use, certain times etc..so you should always acquaint yourself with those rules.

-There's very little care and feeding that goes into your Honda.
-It's always a good idea to mix in some fuel stabilizer either into your source container or directly into the tank. I'd recommend always filling your generator from a separate certified fuel container to ensure fuel stabilizer and fuel mixes are consistent in that container. (see manufacturers recommended mix ratio)
-you'll likely only need to change the oil once a year if you use it seasonally.

----
We've had the Honda EU3000i for three years. It lights up every time. It is heavier than the smaller units and not easily moved by one person, but I see that Honda offers up an alternative 3kw generator with wheels and a tug handle that is lighter. Albeit some of the decreased weight can be attributed to smaller fuel capacity.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Barrie, leave the Chinese junk on the shelf.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I'm curious if anyone has been using a Hyundai generator? I don't have a generator and have been able to get along camping without one but.. I look and ponder. While in a Walmart yesterday I noticed they had a full range of Hyundai generators in stock; small 'enclosed' ones as well as larger 'open' models. They were priced well below Honda or Yamaha generators of similar size. With the Hyundai cars being rated as some of the best quality cars produced anywhere these days I wonder if their push for quality translates to their generators? If I were to seriously consider a generator the operating noise would be my first priority; something Honda and Yamaha have taken to heart.
Barrie
Barrie, we bought a Champion 3500/4000 generator. A Honda 3000 won't start our AC. We had a back porch installed on the Bigfoot, and I use it all the time while dry camping. Since purchasing that generator, I noticed that Champion now offers a "made for California model". I'm curious, but haven't had the time to contact Champion to see how this model differs with regard to gas emissions and perhaps noise.

Champion now makes an inverter generator:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-...3Bcat104356980
You probably should investigate this product. It may be a little more compact and/or lighter than the Honda 2000i. It may also be a little less money.

I'd love to do Joy's Mod, but unfortunately, this has a pull start motor. Evenso, It is very easy for me to hook up the generator with my RV and start it.

I had a cover made for the generator to protect it from the elements. It is a bit of a hassle to put onto the back porch, but I am happy with it.

I one of those people who research all major (and most minor) purchases, and I spent a great deal of time looking into the Champion generator:

Champion 35000/4000 generator costs about a third of the price for a Honda 3000i. They offer great (online and phone) technical support. It is a quality product: I have contacted and interviews with many people who own this generator and have heard no complaints. I personally am happy with this product. It's major drawback is noise. I have researched (without success) ways to quiet it down. But I rarely dry camp close to other trailers, and I do not mind the noise when inside my trailer.

Cabelas www.cabelas.com often has sales on this generator - particularly around Xmass time. Interestingly enough there is an online discussion forum for the Champion generator. They may be able to point you towards a good deal.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #20

Well, I just got onto the Cabela Generator site and saw that Champion has a remote start generator: Cabela's: Champion 3,500-Watt Remote-Start Generator

Again, it is a 68 DB noise. It is probably way too heavy for 13 foot trailers.

But it is still less $$$ than a Honda 3000i. For trailers with older model ACs like mine, more power than 3000 watts may be needed to start the AC.

One other thing. Before purchasing my generator, I did a great deal of research to determine if I could safely store it on the back of my trailer. It is worth the time to weigh your trailer to determine your TV weight, trailer tongue weight and total trailer weight. You need to know how the extra weight on either your tongue or "back porch" will effect your safety while underway. I consulted with FGRV's Frederick and my Chevy service manager.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Hyundai is a Korean company. Are you saying that Hyundai has their generators made in China?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #22

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Greg H... Hyundai is South Korean, not Chinese. While I would love to adhere to a personal policy of not buying Chinese, preferable in favor of buying domestic, it is becoming almost impossible to find anything NOT manufactured in China. I am interested in buying quality. If Hyundai can produce a generator, with comparable quality to the cars they're producing, I'll consider buying one.
Barrie
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #23

REGARDING THE NEW CHAMPION 2000 INVERTER GENERATOR:

I have a million things to do today! But being the procrastinator that I am ...
I went to the Cabelas site to investigate that new 2000 Watt generator. I also got onto Cabelas "live chat" to answer a few questions. I logged onto Weiss sales.com http://www.wisesales.com/<br /> http...wisesales.com/ to view the honda 2000i for comparison purposes and then called weisssales to get a price quote for the Honda 2000ieu.

Here is what I found out:

HONDA Model EU2000iA:

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A)
1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Overload protection and low-oil shut-off.
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.1 gal.
Run Time per Tankful 4 hours @ rated
load, 15 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions 16.7"H x 11.4"W x 20.1" L
Noise Level 53dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
PRICE: $879 (At wisesales.com > honda, yamaha, generators, chainsaws, snowblowers, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, trimmers, saws, levels, stabila, toro, ariens,[/B]) Price quote recieved via telephone inquiry

Champion 2,000-Watt Inverter Generator:

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A)
1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 14-amp, 120-volt duplex Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity 1-gallon.
Run Time per Tankful 9-1/2 hours at @ 1/4 load
Dimensions 19.3"H x 13.2"W x 16.3"L
Noise Level 54dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 48 lbs. .
PRICE: $699.99 at Cabelas.com Cabela's: Champion 2,000-Watt Inverter Generator

TO ADOPT THE CHAMPION GENERATOR TO YOUR TT, YOU WILL NEED A POWER CORD ADAPTOR. This can be purchased at cabelas or any RV site/store. Cabela's: Camco RV Power-Converting Adapters

The generator itself does not have a 30 AMP receptical.

There is a significant price difference between the Honda and Champion invertor generators. The dimensions are a little different, so you would have to see how this would work with your trailer.

I do have a Chanpion generator. I have found this to be an high quality product and I have found Champion to be an excellent company to do business with.

Hope this info helps someone.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #24

Name: Richard
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
something different

I saw this generator at our local RV show this spring. I am not to sure of the output but it is very light and quiet, uses methanol as fuel.

Check it out at EFOY-Brennstoffzellen - Immer und berall Strom - EFOY make sure to click on the English flag.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Mary Ann,

I have the Honda 2000 and have had it for some 10 years now. I love it. I purchased it solely to enable me to use the Air Conditioner when dry camping. Until recently I rarely used the generator as I found myself in campgrounds with a minimum of water and electric hookups.

There were several occasions when I wanted to use the generator while dry camping but I wasn't about to set it out in the rain. I couldn't leave it in the back of the Jeep and run it, it had to come out so I never used in rainy conditions.

My solution a couple of years ago was to finally modify the tongue of the Scamp by making a box that holds the generator and propane tank with the battery forward of it. I was only able to do this when I saw that the factory was putting a center jack on the 13 footers no longer the side folding jack. While at the factory I purchased a center jack and immediately did my mod.

I now have put roughly 64 hours on the generator in the past 2 years. That's far more than I had put on it in the prior 8 years when I barely cranked it up once a year just for fun.

With the generator so easy to use now, I'm more apt to dry camp and use the generator for other things than just the A/C as I did in February while dry camping in the desert for 2 weeks at the Quartzsite, AZ gathering.

Oh, and not only is the generator on the tongue in a box but I have a 30 amp extension cord plugged into one of the outlets on the generator and then run under the trailer to the electric compartment. I cut the female end off and ran it into the compartment adding an outlet to it. So all I have to do is reach into the compartment and plug the trailer cord into the outlet and crank the gen. up. Nothing is out in the weather. I don't have to lift the gen. in and out of the Jeep. You folks might consider this mod. it's great.
Joy, How much noise and vibration is transmitted through the frame? Is there much noise inside while it's running?

Ron
Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #26

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Hyundai is a Korean company. Are you saying that Hyundai has their generators made in China?
Oops I messed up my foreign junk companies, well you never know, Onan generators owned by Cummins Diesel outsourced to China and believe it or not my Generac 6500/8000 watt has a Chinese engine on it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Running the generator in the rain should not be an issue. I run mine in the rain all the time.

I wouldn't do it with the older "open" style ones.

I have a Generac 800 watt inverter genny that is quiet, and obviously, rain proof :-P One day, when I am rich, I will get a Honda tho. They are even quieter.
The Honda 2K and 3K are not rain-proof. Both owners manuals caution about leaving them exposed to rain.

From the 2K and 3K manuals: The generator is a potential source of electrical shock if misused. Do not expose the generator to moisture, rain or snow. Do not let the generator get wet, and do not operate it with wet hands.

Using a generator or electrical appliance in wet conditions, such as
rain or snow, or near a pool or sprinkler system, or when your hands
are wet, could result in electrocution. Keep the generator dry.

If the generator is stored outdoors, unprotected from the weather,
check all of the electrical components on the control panel, before
each use. Moisture or ice can cause a malfunction or short circuit in
electrical components which could result in electrocution.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If you must have a generator get one that quiet. We camped at Lake Mojave a few camp sites away from some guy with a very noisy generator, which he ran every day for about 3 hours. Even the camp host had some unkind things to say about it. Make friends, NO generator, or least one that very quiet.
Better yet invest your money in a nice solar panel to keep your battery charged. Quiet, non polluting, no fuel costs. Make lots of friends.