Generators - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #43

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
LOL, well Byron, I guess I'm too young to have experienced no A/C or hookups. I am 41 and camped with my G'parents in their 5th wheel in the 70's and 80's so was this before those decades? I cant fathom living in the South with the oppressive humidity w/o A/C. It's amazing it was ever settled, LOL.
I totally agree with the lack of courtesy by some campers. Sometimes it's a dog who wont stop barking all night or kids running through our site kicking dirt up (my girls would never think of walking through somebody elses site just like they wouldnt cut through a neighbor's yard), or loud music etc. Thankfully so far those instances have been few and far between. I dont know if the "me" centered people dont like to camp or what but I hope it stays that way.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
OK!
I asked hours (and at least ten responses) ago, and so far nobody's answered the noise nuisance question...
It's curious to me how much these User discussions center on noise levels inside the trailer, and how little on the noise discharged into the surrounding environment..

I mean, let's get real, folks............

If your generator noise BOTHERS YOU enough to fret about it, how can you keep a straight face when you tell the rest of us how "quiet" it is???

Asserting a Superior Right to make a judgement as to where generator noise is "appropriate" is not responsive to the question and, let's face it, on the arrogant side. That approach doesn't work anyway, judging by Nuisance Rules banning generator use in Canadian and American National Parks and a growing number of other campgrounds, both public and private.
You'd be surprised how many people prefer- even expect!- that ambient noise levels at these destinations will not be similar to those of the cities they've escaped for a few days. Many people visit wilder places for just that reason.

I'll ask again!

Is There ANYBODY in this thread that makes any effort to soundproof their generator?

That is, OTHER THAN INSIDE and perhaps using the air conditioning.... which it should be noted adds its own OUTSIDE noise to the racket and increases the generator whine to two-stroke engine levels.

Anybody?

Francesca

Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #45

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
OK!
I asked hours (and at least ten responses) ago, and so far nobody's answered the noise nuisance question...
It's curious to me how much these User discussions center on noise levels inside the trailer, and how little on the noise discharged into the surrounding environment..

I mean, let's get real, folks............

If your generator noise BOTHERS YOU enough to fret about it, how can you keep a straight face when you tell the rest of us how "quiet" it is???

Asserting a Superior Right to make a judgement as to where generator noise is "appropriate" is not responsive to the question and, let's face it, on the arrogant side. That approach doesn't work anyway, judging by Nuisance Rules banning generator use in Canadian and American National Parks and a growing number of other campgrounds, both public and private.
You'd be surprised how many people prefer- even expect!- that ambient noise levels at these destinations will not be similar to those of the cities they've escaped for a few days. Many people visit wilder places for just that reason.

I'll ask again!

Is There ANYBODY in this thread that makes any effort to soundproof their generator?

That is, OTHER THAN INSIDE and perhaps using the air conditioning.... which it should be noted adds its own OUTSIDE noise to the racket and increases the generator whine to two-stroke engine levels.

Anybody?

Francesca
Francesca,
I hope you didn't interpret my question as being insensitive to the outside noise. I merely questioned placing the generator on the frame which could easily transmit or amplify noise, probably both within and outside the trailer.

The parks where I've camped have strict limitations on when/where generators can be operated. I have a Honda 2000. I've used it once while camping. I don't even like the noise when I make it. My camper is all electric and I'm planning to equip it with solar so that I never have to take the generator with me. If I were boondocking far from other campers, I would still not want to run a generator.

Last fall I camped (in a tent) at a campsite in Maryland along the C&O canal towpath and a huge 5th wheel ran their generator all night. They were at least 8 campsites away and the noise was very annoying.

I camp to escape the noise and confusion. I am also annoyed by folks that believe that I should listen to their music played beyond the 59 or whatever decibels of a generator.
Enough said (from me).

Ron
Old 05-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I've tended to have negative feelings about generators running in CGs. But last summer I was walking through a CG and passed by a motorhome, noticing nothing unusual until I got past the MH... suddenly I heard a low sound and realized that they had one of those little Hondas set up on the far side of the MH. Even though my Burro was probably just 80' away from them, I heard nothing until I passed by them and was at that point about 20' from the generator. It wasn't a troublesome noise level at all and I marveled at it.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Francesca,
I hope you didn't interpret my question as being insensitive to the outside noise....... My camper is all electric and I'm planning to equip it with solar so that I never have to take the generator with me..
Ron
Ron,

Good man!
I'll look forward to sharing our space with you...
Byron describes his solar system somewhere in the forums- I forget where- he goes into very intricate detail and you might find it useful for planning purposes
By the way, I didn't mean to single you out by using your quote- I just grabbed it as an example of a common thread that seems to occur in most generator user discussions. When people talk about generator noise, it's almost always related to how much of it the users themselves are willing to put up with.

I wish they'd as matter-of-factly consider the very real value many people place on the few quiet places we have left to us.

Francesca
Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #48

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
I have a Yamaha EF1000si and just love it. Sat between two chairs and we could carry on a conversation no problem. It's 27lbs and sips gas (about 2.5 gallons for 24 hours running constantly). We recently went dry camping at a five day race and used two of them to power 6 trailers and the outdoor kitchen lights. Even handled the halogen lights we set up to play cornhole until all hours!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #49

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I mentioned the hours that I've put on the generator since it's been on the tongue of my trailer. Well, the majority of those hours was at the Quartzsite, AZ gathering where nearly every attendee had a generator so I ran mine, too.

My generator box is insulated and assists in keeping a quiet generator even quieter.

As for solar, I have that too and always have the solar panel up on the roof when dry camping.

I think it was Byron who mentioned noisy neighbors. I love music but I don't particularly love other peoples music which is blasting throughout the campground or at least into my campsite. It always amazes me when someone wants to put speakers on the outside of their camper. Why?? I don't want to hear your music. It's bad enough with just a radio sitting on a table.

If you ever camp near me you'll find I rarely use the generator. But I would if I truly needed the Air Conditioner.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #50

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
They sell those Champion 2000 inverter generators at Sams Club now too. I can't remember the price, I think it was $599

Has anyone considered the propane generators? These are almost as quiet as the invertors, this one in particular says it has "Perhaps most importantly is the ETQ Clean Sine Power Alternator feature that produces less then 5% THD (total harmonic distortion), meaning that this is a clean-burning generator. It’s also a “computer friendly” generator to use for your high-tech electronic equipment and toys."

3500 watts peak, 3000 running, 70 db

I have been drooling all over this one.
ETQ 3500 Watt Portable LP Propane Generator - Sam's Club
$432 shipped to my door
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I run my Honda 2000i on propane only.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
They sell those Champion 2000 inverter generators at Sams Club now too. I can't remember the price, I think it was $599

Has anyone considered the propane generators? These are almost as quiet as the invertors, this one in particular says it has "Perhaps most importantly is the ETQ Clean Sine Power Alternator feature that produces less then 5% THD (total harmonic distortion), meaning that this is a clean-burning generator. It’s also a “computer friendly” generator to use for your high-tech electronic equipment and toys."

3500 watts peak, 3000 running, 70 db

I have been drooling all over this one.
ETQ 3500 Watt Portable LP Propane Generator - Sam's Club
$432 shipped to my door
Old 05-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #52

Registry
Propane or Gasoline, it's still an internal combustion engine.
Internal combustion engines make NOISE.
How do you contain that noise within your VERY immediate vicinity?
That is, without your neighbor being made to listen to it?

Francesca
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #53

Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Francesca, We have a Yamaha 1000W generator that we probably have used 3-4 times since 2007 when we bought our Scamp. It appears to me that as obsessed as you are about ANY noise when camping, you should camp only in generator free RV parks.
As bothered as you are about your comfort, why not show the same consideration for those that have "quiet" generators and run them for an hour or two now and then to charge batteries when not in a land line available camping stop? I suggest you lighten up a bit and understand that your opinion is not the only one that makes sense to everyone.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #54

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I don't contain the noise, they are already about as a generator can get. I haven't used mine yet with my camper (I haven't had the need yet).
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #55

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Francesca, We have a Yamaha 1000W generator that we probably have used 3-4 times since 2007 when we bought our Scamp. It appears to me that as obsessed as you are about ANY noise when camping, you should camp only in generator free RV parks.
As bothered as you are about your comfort, why not show the same consideration for those that have "quiet" generators and run them for an hour or two now and then to charge batteries when not in a land line available camping stop? I suggest you lighten up a bit and understand that your opinion is not the only one that makes sense to everyone.
Amen!! Maybe a people free campground as well.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #56

Registry
hmmmm........fascinating sociological study.........keep those suggestions coming, folks!

Francesca