Generators - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #57

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Everyone has different needs, for those that need AC, generators are the solution. I can live with it. I'm sure I do something that is disagreeable to them.

We live in a quiet beach community; our neighbor lives in Houston. Everyday his emergency generator powers up for 15 minutes. He needs to have the security that when he is away, his home has power. OK. It's good to know he's happy even though we are ever so rarely without power.

We need to find joy in the happiness of others, even if it requires us to bite our lip a little.

In time with more efficient solar cells, the generator will disappear for all but the most power hungry situations.

Stay joyful,

Norm

Solar panels for everything except air conditioning are the silent solution.

Norm

Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #58

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Francesca, We have a Yamaha 1000W generator that we probably have used 3-4 times since 2007 when we bought our Scamp. It appears to me that as obsessed as you are about ANY noise when camping, you should camp only in generator free RV parks.
As bothered as you are about your comfort, why not show the same consideration for those that have "quiet" generators and run them for an hour or two now and then to charge batteries when not in a land line available camping stop? I suggest you lighten up a bit and understand that your opinion is not the only one that makes sense to everyone.
The last time I was camping someone with a loud generator chose a camping spot in the center of the loop at the top of the hill. This location would project the generator sound to the maximum number of campsites compared to any other site in the camping area. No one else at the campground ran a generator in the 3 days that I was there. They ran it for hours at a time and I am sure they annoyed lots of people including me and my site was a hundred yards away.

A generator is a benefit only for the ones using it and an annoyance to many others. Some people are aware that they can potentially be offensive to other campers and the buy a quiet generator, choose a site away from others and use sound absorbing barriers or exhaust pipes that point straight up. Other generator users either do not care much about others or do not realize just how annoying they can be. For example the 70 db propane generator suggested earlier in this thread is a loud generator.

I have a neighbor that is obsessed with his yard. He uses lawn mowers, leaf blowers, string trimmers, chains saws and his lawn tractor constantly. He probably has engines running more hours a week than all the other neighbors combined. One time, in the 4 years he has lived next to me, I used a wood chipper and he came over and asked me to stop because of the noise. That is the type of person that runs a loud generator on the top of the hill in the center of the campground.

I applaud Francesca for raising the noise pollution issue so that it can enlighten those generator users that are not aware of their impact on those around them. If you bought the Yamaha 1000W, that is one of the most quiet generators available and you should not be offended. You spent more money for a quiet generator and that benefits your neighbors.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #59

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
hmmmm........fascinating sociological study.........keep those suggestions coming, folks!

Francesca

Yup, isn't it?

Here's what I hear of the generator people "I have a right to have and use my noisy generator. You no right to bring it my attention that it's noisy and bothers others."
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #60

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I can tell you that my window AC in the Boler is louder than the Honda I use to run it. The reason I know this is several people at remote campgrounds have asked how the heck I am running the AC and have been invited in to enjoy the cool.

My biggest pet peeves are noisy rude kids, dogs that bark constantly, loud non country music, and non Honda (or other non quite) generators. In that order. Kids I talk to, dog owners I make rude faces at, loud music player I talk to or sic the campground host on, generator owners I talk to or ignore.

The thing about the loud generator owners are they are usually people who own a big very expensive rig that they use a few times a year and are to cheap to buy a good generator.

Francesca, if I really want peace and quiet I boondock away from people. If you are in campgrounds you are going to have noises of all sorts, they come with people.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #61

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbeth View Post

francesca, if i really want peace and quiet i boondock away from people. If you are in campgrounds you are going to have noises of all sorts, they come with people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by francesca knowles View Post
how do you make them inaudible to the folks in your vicinity who go out to the boonies for the quiet?
we like the quiet- that's why we don't bring our own generators!
?
Thanks!

Francesca
I'm the white dot in the center of the picture...
You can't see my neighbors there, but they came for the quiet, too.

Francesca

.................................................. .................Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01232.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	35765
Old 05-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #62

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Yup, isn't it?

Here's what I hear of the generator people "I have a right to have and use my noisy generator. You no right to bring it my attention that it's noisy and bothers others."
That's not what I hear Byron. It's sounds to me as though we all have different expectations (and wants) as we live (not just camping). Some of us are going to be annoyed if we're in our home and the neighbor's kids are too load or a dog bark's. "We paid good money for our home and we want what we want, when we want it. Everyone be QUIET!" They want the same when they camp. I don't own the campground but I paid my $20 for my 30'x30' space and I don't want anything else to intrude... even living noises. Some of us are more respectful of others and some are less tolerant of others; surprise, surprise...
If we choose to spend our time where others gather we should understand that not everyone values what we value. That's life. I don't own a generator. I have never stayed in a campsite with power or water. I value the peace and quiet. I usually boondock...in the boonies. (that's most places in the Maritime Provinces...) If I do stay in a campground, I expect campground noises; some more than I would prefer. That's life. Smile.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #63

California
Registry
It sounds to me that you are not going to be happy with what anyone says. Now that my children have grown up I think that all kids camping should have their mouths taped shut and be restricted to their own sites. But that ain't going to happen. Seriously, where humans go there will be noise.

Quote:

Francesca

.................................................. .................Attachment 35765
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #64

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Who said anything about human noise?

Please refer to my original question, quoted above.

It's #31 of the 63 posts in this thread, or 32 posts and two days ago.

Except for folks pretty much telling me to go to H-E-double-pitchforks, it has yet to be answered.

Francesca
Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #65

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Hi-
I reckon the inside noise is easy to live with since it's YOUR noise- but what about outside, which is where we refugees from urban noise are?
What do you all do to insure that your camping NEIGHBORS don't have to listen to your generators?
How do you make them inaudible to the folks in your vicinity who go out to the boonies for the quiet?
We like the quiet- that's why we don't bring OUR OWN generators!
SO!
How do you make your generators silent?

Thanks!

Francesca
Some people listen but they don't hear. There is no requirement, nor should there be any expectation, that the activities of others in a campground be inaudible outside the individual campsite initiating an activity. If I start a campfire and use softwood, like pine, the wood will crackle load enough to be heard outside my space. If I join a social group around the campfire and enjoy a joke, my laughter may he heard outside that campsite. If the campground has a 'no generator' rule, there should be an expectation no generator will be heard. If there is no such rule, generators may be heard. This thread has gotten way out of hand. Campers will use generators if permitted. I don't but I understand others will. I may not like it but... that's life. Take a deep breath and don't let things you can't control bother you so much.
Barrie
Old 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #66

California
Registry
Ok, I will answer your question. Generators can not be made inaudible. If you are out in the boonies I will not park close to you.

As long as you don't have screaming, bike riding rude kids or dogs that bark constantly, as those things travel too we should be fine.

If we are in a campground we both have to get over it and have fun. That's what I do.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #67

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've got 20 acres in the desert and my neighbors hate my generator, but since I don't have $8-$10 grand to have electric put in they just have to deal with it.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #68

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Smile

I bit my tongue until the last post I made, the "Amen" thing because I wanted to be nice and wasn't sure how I wanted to say it.

Then also, I could tell by the way the posts are written, agressive, that there was not very much we with generators, whether we use then or not, could say that would satisfy. The manner in which the posts are written could be why others had responded either.

I'm done.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #69

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:

Francesca

.................................................. .................Attachment 35765
Francesca, that looks like a wonderful campsite. Nice and peaceful.

We live in a big world, with different kinds of places to suit different kinds of people. For my camping, I'll take the kind you show in the photo... preferably when no one else is around. I like people okay, but I also enjoy times and places where I can only hear the wind in the pines and the only sign of civilization within sight is my own rig.

If everyone spent a few days in a place like that, maybe they could relax a bit.. ... we are all just expressing our thoughts and feelings, not being critical of one another, right folks? Now everybody stand up, take a deep breath, shake the wrinkles out of your underwear... there now, doesn't that feel better? Let's all have fun here!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #70

Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Lizbeth
I'd like to make a comment about your suggestion that folks with big expensive rigs have cheap, noisy generators. In addition to my 13' Scamp, we own a 40 ft diesel pusher with 4 slides. My experience, since 1993, with big expensive rigs is that they have their own, very well insulated generators built into the rig. The generator in my motorhome is much quieter than 99% of the a/c units found in campgrounds or homes.
We have been camping since 1970 and our 4 kids were respectful of others camp spots and were taught from day 1 to keep their voices down when talking and no shouting. Our dogs were always leashed and taught not to bark.
We run our generators very rarely, however, when in the National Park campgrounds during Spring and Fall, we do run the Yamaha an hour or so each day to keep the batteries charged so we can run the furnace in 30-40 degree temps at night.
Loud gen's are also not my favorite thing. I do, however, recognize the right for anyone to run their generator during the allowable hours. I appreciate them running them for as short a time as possible and I find most folks are considerate of others--for those that are not considerate, yet still only run during the allowed hours--I Have a decision, either put up with it or leave! Pretty straight forward decision to me.