Generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Generators

We just bought a new Honda Generator. I would like to hear from others who use generators, and how you like them. It's said that Honda is one one to buy as it's so quiet. We started it here at home, and I'm ready to get this camping going. We had 3" of snow again the other night. I'ts gone now. I hope we can go camping even close to home now in May. That's about enough of the snow.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Mary Ann what model did you buy?
EU1000i
EU2000i
EU3000i Handi
Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #3

Minnesota
Kevin, We bought the 2000. We couldn't go any bigger as I have to be able to lift it when I'm alone. I have lower back problems. I think this one should be just perfect for what we need.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
EU2000i good choice, should handle all your needs.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have the Yamaha 2000, I like it alot and it's a bit cheaper than the Honda.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Minnesota
Way up here in the North, Yamaha is about $250.00 more than Honda. My husband likes the Honda Engines, that's what we have in our Commercial Zero turn lawn mover also.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Mary Ann,

I have the Honda 2000 and have had it for some 10 years now. I love it. I purchased it solely to enable me to use the Air Conditioner when dry camping. Until recently I rarely used the generator as I found myself in campgrounds with a minimum of water and electric hookups.

There were several occasions when I wanted to use the generator while dry camping but I wasn't about to set it out in the rain. I couldn't leave it in the back of the Jeep and run it, it had to come out so I never used in rainy conditions.

My solution a couple of years ago was to finally modify the tongue of the Scamp by making a box that holds the generator and propane tank with the battery forward of it. I was only able to do this when I saw that the factory was putting a center jack on the 13 footers no longer the side folding jack. While at the factory I purchased a center jack and immediately did my mod.

I now have put roughly 64 hours on the generator in the past 2 years. That's far more than I had put on it in the prior 8 years when I barely cranked it up once a year just for fun.

With the generator so easy to use now, I'm more apt to dry camp and use the generator for other things than just the A/C as I did in February while dry camping in the desert for 2 weeks at the Quartzsite, AZ gathering.

Oh, and not only is the generator on the tongue in a box but I have a 30 amp extension cord plugged into one of the outlets on the generator and then run under the trailer to the electric compartment. I cut the female end off and ran it into the compartment adding an outlet to it. So all I have to do is reach into the compartment and plug the trailer cord into the outlet and crank the gen. up. Nothing is out in the weather. I don't have to lift the gen. in and out of the Jeep. You folks might consider this mod. it's great.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7570.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We have the 2000 and really like it. It has worked flawlessly to run our window AC when we need it and our coffee maker in the mornings.

Joy's set up is very nice!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #9

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Wow, that is a nice set up, Joy.

I wish I knew what a center jack was, though.
Also, how does the generator run in the box if it has to breathe and emit exhaust?

Thanks,
Aimee L.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #10

Aimee,

The center jack is center on the tongue right behind the ball. My 2001 13 footer came with a side jack that folded up. It was attached to the street side of the tongue. Scamp put the side jack on their 13 footers until about 2007 or 2008. It was 2008 when I was at the factory and noticed that all the 13 footesr had center jacks.

As for the generator box, the bottom is made out of expanded steel so it is open on the bottom for ventilation. In my picture you can see white round things. They are deck plates made for boats. There is one on the door side for the generator exhaust, a small one on the front to access the generator choke & the cap switch, then there's a large one behind the battery box for access to the generator on/off switch and the cord pull.

I decided to make the top open. I thought I might need the extra ventilation but haven't had to the generator seems to get plenty of air and doesn't heat up at all. When I run the generator I leave the exhaust deck plate off as well as the large one on the front. The generator has worked well with no problems.

I have friends with similar setups and they too have had no problems. One friend built his box with a solid bottom and the back of the box open.

The generator is both tied down and locked down inside the box. Between getting into the box and undoing the generator hold plus lock, it'll surely stop or slow down someone with sticky fingers.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #11

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Aimee,

The center jack is center on the tongue right behind the ball. My 2001 13 footer came with a side jack that folded up. It was attached to the street side of the tongue. Scamp put the side jack on their 13 footers until about 2007 or 2008. It was 2008 when I was at the factory and noticed that all the 13 footesr had center jacks.

As for the generator box, the bottom is made out of expanded steel so it is open on the bottom for ventilation. In my picture you can see white round things. They are deck plates made for boats. There is one on the door side for the generator exhaust, a small one on the front to access the generator choke & the cap switch, then there's a large one behind the battery box for access to the generator on/off switch and the cord pull.

I decided to make the top open. I thought I might need the extra ventilation but haven't had to the generator seems to get plenty of air and doesn't heat up at all. When I run the generator I leave the exhaust deck plate off as well as the large one on the front. The generator has worked well with no problems.

I have friends with similar setups and they too have had no problems. One friend built his box with a solid bottom and the back of the box open.

The generator is both tied down and locked down inside the box. Between getting into the box and undoing the generator hold plus lock, it'll surely stop or slow down someone with sticky fingers.
What a clever arrangement! We will definitely look into adding this. We had not considered the generator in the rain issue until you mentioned it here.
Thanks for the explanation....
--A L
Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Mary Ann,
Be careful lifting that Honda with your bad back. With gas, the 2000 weighs about 50 lb. It can sneak up on you.

My Honda 2000 serves us well. We dry camped most of last summer and it never missed a beat.

I spoke with a Honda dealer recently. He gave me two tips. First, always drain the carburetor when you finish using it (instead of running it dry). And use premium fuel. That's because small engines don't like ethanol (that's true but premium has ethanol too). So I don't understand the last one but at $0.20 extra per gallon, I do it.

Marv
Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #13

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have a Yamaha, I run mine dry, I'll have to do a search to see if that is bad for them, draining the carburetor would be a real pain.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Mary Ann,
Be careful lifting that Honda with your bad back. With gas, the 2000 weighs about 50 lb. It can sneak up on you.

Marv
That's one reason I didn't use my gen. very much for the first 8 years. I tired quickly of lifting it in and out of the Jeep and chaining it to the trailer. So I used it very sparingly.

With it on the trailer it's just too easy to use.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Running the generator in the rain should not be an issue. I run mine in the rain all the time.

I wouldn't do it with the older "open" style ones.

I have a Generac 800 watt inverter genny that is quiet, and obviously, rain proof :-P One day, when I am rich, I will get a Honda tho. They are even quieter.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I'm curious if anyone has been using a Hyundai generator? I don't have a generator and have been able to get along camping without one but.. I look and ponder. While in a Walmart yesterday I noticed they had a full range of Hyundai generators in stock; small 'enclosed' ones as well as larger 'open' models. They were priced well below Honda or Yamaha generators of similar size. With the Hyundai cars being rated as some of the best quality cars produced anywhere these days I wonder if their push for quality translates to their generators? If I were to seriously consider a generator the operating noise would be my first priority; something Honda and Yamaha have taken to heart.
Barrie
Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Barrie, I saw those as well. Walmart's return policies may allow you to try one out for a few days.

Mary Ann to answer your question, we use a generator often when dry camping and once when power was knocked out during a thunder storm at a full hook up campground. It's great to be able to use it for food prep on those long road-trip meal stops.

Many campgrounds have restrictions for use, certain times etc..so you should always acquaint yourself with those rules.

-There's very little care and feeding that goes into your Honda.
-It's always a good idea to mix in some fuel stabilizer either into your source container or directly into the tank. I'd recommend always filling your generator from a separate certified fuel container to ensure fuel stabilizer and fuel mixes are consistent in that container. (see manufacturers recommended mix ratio)
-you'll likely only need to change the oil once a year if you use it seasonally.

----
We've had the Honda EU3000i for three years. It lights up every time. It is heavier than the smaller units and not easily moved by one person, but I see that Honda offers up an alternative 3kw generator with wheels and a tug handle that is lighter. Albeit some of the decreased weight can be attributed to smaller fuel capacity.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Barrie, leave the Chinese junk on the shelf.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I'm curious if anyone has been using a Hyundai generator? I don't have a generator and have been able to get along camping without one but.. I look and ponder. While in a Walmart yesterday I noticed they had a full range of Hyundai generators in stock; small 'enclosed' ones as well as larger 'open' models. They were priced well below Honda or Yamaha generators of similar size. With the Hyundai cars being rated as some of the best quality cars produced anywhere these days I wonder if their push for quality translates to their generators? If I were to seriously consider a generator the operating noise would be my first priority; something Honda and Yamaha have taken to heart.
Barrie
Barrie, we bought a Champion 3500/4000 generator. A Honda 3000 won't start our AC. We had a back porch installed on the Bigfoot, and I use it all the time while dry camping. Since purchasing that generator, I noticed that Champion now offers a "made for California model". I'm curious, but haven't had the time to contact Champion to see how this model differs with regard to gas emissions and perhaps noise.

Champion now makes an inverter generator:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-...3Bcat104356980
You probably should investigate this product. It may be a little more compact and/or lighter than the Honda 2000i. It may also be a little less money.

I'd love to do Joy's Mod, but unfortunately, this has a pull start motor. Evenso, It is very easy for me to hook up the generator with my RV and start it.

I had a cover made for the generator to protect it from the elements. It is a bit of a hassle to put onto the back porch, but I am happy with it.

I one of those people who research all major (and most minor) purchases, and I spent a great deal of time looking into the Champion generator:

Champion 35000/4000 generator costs about a third of the price for a Honda 3000i. They offer great (online and phone) technical support. It is a quality product: I have contacted and interviews with many people who own this generator and have heard no complaints. I personally am happy with this product. It's major drawback is noise. I have researched (without success) ways to quiet it down. But I rarely dry camp close to other trailers, and I do not mind the noise when inside my trailer.

Cabelas www.cabelas.com often has sales on this generator - particularly around Xmass time. Interestingly enough there is an online discussion forum for the Champion generator. They may be able to point you towards a good deal.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Well, I just got onto the Cabela Generator site and saw that Champion has a remote start generator: Cabela's: Champion 3,500-Watt Remote-Start Generator

Again, it is a 68 DB noise. It is probably way too heavy for 13 foot trailers.

But it is still less $$$ than a Honda 3000i. For trailers with older model ACs like mine, more power than 3000 watts may be needed to start the AC.

One other thing. Before purchasing my generator, I did a great deal of research to determine if I could safely store it on the back of my trailer. It is worth the time to weigh your trailer to determine your TV weight, trailer tongue weight and total trailer weight. You need to know how the extra weight on either your tongue or "back porch" will effect your safety while underway. I consulted with FGRV's Frederick and my Chevy service manager.