Generators - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Generators

We just bought a new Honda Generator. I would like to hear from others who use generators, and how you like them. It's said that Honda is one one to buy as it's so quiet. We started it here at home, and I'm ready to get this camping going. We had 3" of snow again the other night. I'ts gone now. I hope we can go camping even close to home now in May. That's about enough of the snow.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Mary Ann what model did you buy?
EU1000i
EU2000i
EU3000i Handi

Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Minnesota
Kevin, We bought the 2000. We couldn't go any bigger as I have to be able to lift it when I'm alone. I have lower back problems. I think this one should be just perfect for what we need.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #4

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
EU2000i good choice, should handle all your needs.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have the Yamaha 2000, I like it alot and it's a bit cheaper than the Honda.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Minnesota
Way up here in the North, Yamaha is about $250.00 more than Honda. My husband likes the Honda Engines, that's what we have in our Commercial Zero turn lawn mover also.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Mary Ann,

I have the Honda 2000 and have had it for some 10 years now. I love it. I purchased it solely to enable me to use the Air Conditioner when dry camping. Until recently I rarely used the generator as I found myself in campgrounds with a minimum of water and electric hookups.

There were several occasions when I wanted to use the generator while dry camping but I wasn't about to set it out in the rain. I couldn't leave it in the back of the Jeep and run it, it had to come out so I never used in rainy conditions.

My solution a couple of years ago was to finally modify the tongue of the Scamp by making a box that holds the generator and propane tank with the battery forward of it. I was only able to do this when I saw that the factory was putting a center jack on the 13 footers no longer the side folding jack. While at the factory I purchased a center jack and immediately did my mod.

I now have put roughly 64 hours on the generator in the past 2 years. That's far more than I had put on it in the prior 8 years when I barely cranked it up once a year just for fun.

With the generator so easy to use now, I'm more apt to dry camp and use the generator for other things than just the A/C as I did in February while dry camping in the desert for 2 weeks at the Quartzsite, AZ gathering.

Oh, and not only is the generator on the tongue in a box but I have a 30 amp extension cord plugged into one of the outlets on the generator and then run under the trailer to the electric compartment. I cut the female end off and ran it into the compartment adding an outlet to it. So all I have to do is reach into the compartment and plug the trailer cord into the outlet and crank the gen. up. Nothing is out in the weather. I don't have to lift the gen. in and out of the Jeep. You folks might consider this mod. it's great.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7570.JPG  
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #8

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
We have the 2000 and really like it. It has worked flawlessly to run our window AC when we need it and our coffee maker in the mornings.

Joy's set up is very nice!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Wow, that is a nice set up, Joy.

I wish I knew what a center jack was, though.
Also, how does the generator run in the box if it has to breathe and emit exhaust?

Thanks,
Aimee L.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Aimee,

The center jack is center on the tongue right behind the ball. My 2001 13 footer came with a side jack that folded up. It was attached to the street side of the tongue. Scamp put the side jack on their 13 footers until about 2007 or 2008. It was 2008 when I was at the factory and noticed that all the 13 footesr had center jacks.

As for the generator box, the bottom is made out of expanded steel so it is open on the bottom for ventilation. In my picture you can see white round things. They are deck plates made for boats. There is one on the door side for the generator exhaust, a small one on the front to access the generator choke & the cap switch, then there's a large one behind the battery box for access to the generator on/off switch and the cord pull.

I decided to make the top open. I thought I might need the extra ventilation but haven't had to the generator seems to get plenty of air and doesn't heat up at all. When I run the generator I leave the exhaust deck plate off as well as the large one on the front. The generator has worked well with no problems.

I have friends with similar setups and they too have had no problems. One friend built his box with a solid bottom and the back of the box open.

The generator is both tied down and locked down inside the box. Between getting into the box and undoing the generator hold plus lock, it'll surely stop or slow down someone with sticky fingers.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #11

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Aimee,

The center jack is center on the tongue right behind the ball. My 2001 13 footer came with a side jack that folded up. It was attached to the street side of the tongue. Scamp put the side jack on their 13 footers until about 2007 or 2008. It was 2008 when I was at the factory and noticed that all the 13 footesr had center jacks.

As for the generator box, the bottom is made out of expanded steel so it is open on the bottom for ventilation. In my picture you can see white round things. They are deck plates made for boats. There is one on the door side for the generator exhaust, a small one on the front to access the generator choke & the cap switch, then there's a large one behind the battery box for access to the generator on/off switch and the cord pull.

I decided to make the top open. I thought I might need the extra ventilation but haven't had to the generator seems to get plenty of air and doesn't heat up at all. When I run the generator I leave the exhaust deck plate off as well as the large one on the front. The generator has worked well with no problems.

I have friends with similar setups and they too have had no problems. One friend built his box with a solid bottom and the back of the box open.

The generator is both tied down and locked down inside the box. Between getting into the box and undoing the generator hold plus lock, it'll surely stop or slow down someone with sticky fingers.
What a clever arrangement! We will definitely look into adding this. We had not considered the generator in the rain issue until you mentioned it here.
Thanks for the explanation....
--A L
Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #12

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Mary Ann,
Be careful lifting that Honda with your bad back. With gas, the 2000 weighs about 50 lb. It can sneak up on you.

My Honda 2000 serves us well. We dry camped most of last summer and it never missed a beat.

I spoke with a Honda dealer recently. He gave me two tips. First, always drain the carburetor when you finish using it (instead of running it dry). And use premium fuel. That's because small engines don't like ethanol (that's true but premium has ethanol too). So I don't understand the last one but at $0.20 extra per gallon, I do it.

Marv
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #13

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have a Yamaha, I run mine dry, I'll have to do a search to see if that is bad for them, draining the carburetor would be a real pain.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Mary Ann,
Be careful lifting that Honda with your bad back. With gas, the 2000 weighs about 50 lb. It can sneak up on you.

Marv
That's one reason I didn't use my gen. very much for the first 8 years. I tired quickly of lifting it in and out of the Jeep and chaining it to the trailer. So I used it very sparingly.

With it on the trailer it's just too easy to use.

Closed Thread