Generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Generators

Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000 ? I would like some input as to which generator is better.I would like any info and help. Thank you.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You probably wouldn't go wrong with either one. They are both excellent units. Find the best priced one and get it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I've gone back and forth on this issue and can't make up my mind. I don't think either is a "wrong" choice. My research shows that the Yamaha has a fuel shut off that I really, really want on a generator. I added one to my current noise-making Coleman genny. I don't like leaving fuel in a carb on seldom used equipment and just shut the fuel off and let the engine run until it dies. Seems to be more aftermarket and accessory stuff available for the Honda, and it is the classic choice.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
At work weh have two Honda EU2000s and one EU3000 for emergency backup. We run them every two weeks and keep Stabil in the fuel and try to get the "Pure" gas.
As a test we bought a Harbor Freight inverter generator to compare with them.
We have loaded them with electric heaters etc and the HF unit is only sightly louder and starts and runs just as good.
The main difference is the Hondas won't start some A/C from the Economy setting and the HF does not have that feature so it idles a very little bit faster and louder, but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
If I buy one for my own use I would buy the slightly heavier HF unit.
If you buy one run a tank of fuel (about 8 hours at full load) or two and then cange the oil for synthetic.
At $499.00 on sale it is a true bargain.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
You probably wouldn't go wrong with either one. They are both excellent units. Find the best priced one and get it.
My thought too. Both are great units. I have owned various sizes (mostly larger for work) of both, and neither gave me any problems. Well, except they are a great target for thieves.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Sounds like a deal, but will it start and run a 13,500 btu AC. I have been looking, but well over $2000 for a set of 2000w gen. kinda sets you back some. I like the weight 63lbs, most in the 2500 watt size are 80lbs and up. Throw in a 20% discount and you got a great deal, sounds like. I would like more info on it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Sounds like a deal, but will it start and run a 13,500 btu AC. I have been looking, but well over $2000 for a set of 2000w gen. kinda sets you back some. I like the weight 63lbs, most in the 2500 watt size are 80lbs and up. Throw in a 20% discount and you got a great deal, sounds like. I would like more info on it. Carl
Don't know about the 13.5K BTU AC, but a Honda 2000 will run an 11K BTU AC. It was tested at Escape Trailer. Might want to check the difference in the power requirements.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Thank you all for your advice and input. They both must be good units because nobody will say yes this one over that one. Maybe it will come down to which color I like better.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check out which one would be the easiest to get serviced.

I had a Yamaha years ago, it was absolutely great but there were no places to get it serviced.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Which color do you like, red or blue?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have had Yamaha ATVs, out board motors and I generator.
I've had several Honda power sport vehicles and 2 generators.
A 2000 eu before I went to solar and now a 1000 that can run my pellet stove in power outages.

I think they're both the best, reliable manufacturers on the planet.

Honda has one small advantage.

IF you should ever need repairs, I never have, Honda has more repair centers than Yamaha.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Last I heard the HF unit was at about 72 dB, that's a lot (almost by a factor of 100) noisier than a Honda. It's really a moot point which one to choose, if it wasn't for a few $$$$ difference everyone would buy the Honda.

And depending on anything from HF to work.... Fergetit, I have had zip ties and wire terminals from HF that wouldn't work!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #13

Florida
I bought one specifically to compare the hondas and the HF units side by side and in my opinion there is not $500.00 worth of difference between them.
We made side by side runs at idle and full load and the difference really did not show up on my Note 2 dB meter app.
The HF does not have a econ setting as noted above and under the measurements there was an audible difference, but the meter did not show it.
Both will exceed their ratings under surge, but if the Honda is running on econ it will not supply an inverter or modern A/C unit since it take an instant for the unit to throttle up. The HF unit does not have the econ setting.
If the old style A/C does not start (13K BTU) then it may need a hard start kit.
If I were to buy one tomorrow I would buy the HF for the difference in price. If you have a problem with the unit and are worried then buy the warranty, but I would not. If it works during the standard warranty period you can just take it back to HF and exchange the unit. Same with the extended warranty. This might be better than more authorized repair centers.
In my opinion if you do as I say and run it in on the delivery oil for a tank full or two and then change to a good synthetic oil you should be good to go. Also the most likely problem is with the Chinese spark plugs and users have suggested the NGK BP5ES as a good replacement.
We run our generators for 4 hours every two weeks to make sure that they will run.
THe biggest difference we see in capability is several times when we have gone to the lockers to get the generators for testing we find the Honda units have been stolen. So far no one has decided it was worth losing their job and becoming a recognized thief for the Harbor Freight unit.
Check out the many You Tube videos on the subject.
I realize that there are many who would not trust Harbor Freight on a big ticket item (or small fro thet matter) and we have one HF and three Hondas as well.
$$$ vs $$ your choice. I have operated them side by side and the fuel usage difference is minimal as well. at low load the HF will easily run 8 hours.
Back to you.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Finally, a good reason to buy HF quality, because no one will steal it.....LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Finally, a good reason to buy HF quality, because no one will steal it.....LOL
Why steal a HF when you can steal a Honda?

It does work pretty good though.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Don't know about the 13.5K BTU AC, but a Honda 2000 will run an 11K BTU AC. It was tested at Escape Trailer. Might want to check the difference in the power requirements.
That Honda would have been right on the fine line starting an 11K BTU with nothing to spare, I can point out that Escape Trailer is located at sea level so I'd wonder if it would still start at three or four thousand feet of elevation.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
That Honda would have been right on the fine line starting an 11K BTU with nothing to spare, I can point out that Escape Trailer is located at sea level so I'd wonder if it would still start at three or four thousand feet of elevation.

That's a good point. You're supposed to allow about a 3% drop in efficiency for every 1000 ft increase in elevation. At 4000 ft, that's a 12% drop - might mean the difference between being able to run it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
generator