Generators - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Generators

Dies anybody know if thereís such a thing as a quiet rv air conditioner? Mine is so loud itís almost impossible to carry on a conversation.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
My Honda inverter genny, if pointed away from me can barely be heard at the entrance to the camp site. If kept on the street side, it is not an issue at the picnic table under the awning. But then I rarely run it above an idle.

All of them louder than solar, of course, but I believe Hondas are head and shoulders better than any others. Careful checking of the specs will help.

Just my opinion. Stand clear while all the generator haters land both feet in this thread. And beware the off brands. They are NOT as quiet.

On revision: My bad. I totally misread Bob's post. I apologize for pulling it off topic right away. Although I could be excused since the topic is "generators".

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Off brands are also hard to find parts and service for.
My Honda 1000 is really quiet since I now leave it home after getting solar panels.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Inverter generators such as the Honda EU2200 2000 watt generator are pretty quiet. While staying at Padre Island National Seashore campground (basically a parking lot) a couple of years ago, the person 2 sites away was running a Honda and we barely noticed it. On the other hand, another person at the other side of the campground was running a standard generator that was extremely loud 10 campsites away.

We bought a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator five years ago, shortly after a power outage at home. Never took it camping but finally used it over the weekend during an extended power outage. First extended power outage in five years...

We found the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator to be pretty quiet. Some claim its as quiet as the Honda EU2200.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
OH!! I thought you were asking about quiet generators, not air conditioners...
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I canít hear my Honda when the A/C is running. And I donít notice the A/C when I am wearing my CPAP mask.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Seems like air conditioners are getting noisier the newer they are. We have an old Coleman Polar Cub (no longer made) on our Scamp, and while it's pretty quiet outside, it does make some noise inside although it's tolerable. My Sister on the other hand has a newer Scamp and whatever they have on that one is noisy! I had recommended at one time she get the heat strip for winter use, until I heard how loud her fan was inside.
I know there was a stretch a couple years ago where Casitas had really loud air conditioners (Mach 8?) and you could hear them kick on 10 sites away! I know they came out with a hush kit for that and I believe the newer ones are quieter.
I was hoping the Dometic Penguins, which I believe Escape uses, would be quiet in case I ever have to replace mine, but maybe not since you have an Escape?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Dies anybody know if there’s such a thing as a quiet rv air conditioner? Mine is so loud it’s almost impossible to carry on a conversation.
That is because you are supposed to sit outside in nature and enjoy stimulating conversation not inside in the AC

Is it fan or compressor noise? Or both?

Really I can see the problem, not a lot of space to get the AC remote, it typically sits on a sounding board of thin roof, and the camper is full of hard reflective surfaces to bounce the sound around.

If you have a camper with a window AC unit mounted in a cabinet you might be able to cut down on sound levels by some amount.

I have 360 AC. Window in all 4 directions so open to 360 degrees of breeze. Only noisy if the camp ground is. Not sure that "Breeze" model AC would have been very comfortable of late.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
On my most recent trailer did I put an A/C unit, first one ever on an RV. In the 2 1/2 years of owning it the A/C has been used about 6 times, and only during the day to cool it down when I am not in there. The A/C certainly is loud, even outside a fair bit.

I mostly do off grid camping so can't use it anyway as I won't bring my genset. I do try to camp where I won't need it, though even in hot areas I find it cools fairly well at night where I have been.

ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator