Geology - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Geology

Geology is one of my favorite topics. Today is a miserable New England day, cold, wicked winds and a driving rain, a stay at home book day. Yesterday before we left for a large day long family celebration, I received my copy of 101 American Geo Sites, by Albert Dickas, wishing I could stay home and read.

This is a truly wonderful book that will travel with us. We've been to a number of sites in the book. I'm re-seeing each of them as I read through the book, encouraged to revisit them all more slowly.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Up here it is 54 degrees, we got over 3 inches of rain since last night, dark clouds, I feel drowsy and guess what I am reading...

That book is great and it will be an important resource for my travel plans. Earlier today I found that it was recommended on this forum in 2012, probably as soon as it came out. I ordered it last week.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #3

Florida
Geology

I've read most of the book. We have been to a number of the 101 sites but after reading the book I know I need to see better. Even when retired we can go too fast, not taking an enough time to absorb what's before us..

Our lives are short, the geology is a marvelous record of what has happened over some 4 billion years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

Florida
Seeing Better

In the Forward to the book the author indirectly writes of 'seeing better'. He describes an Italian road cut through limestone where there is a thin layer of red clay, less than a 1/2 inch thick that changed how the world perceived an important event, the extinction of the dinosaurs.

This little previously un-studied layer contained soot and Iridium proving that 65 million years ago a then undiscovered meteor impact had killed off the dinosaur population (plus other species) allowing the ascent of mammals and man.

The presence of soot should a virtually world wide fire had occurred loading the atmosphere with particles from the impact and soot. The presence of Iridium, an element normally not present in soil but ample in asteroids, indicated an impact.

When an asteroid strikes the earth, particularly a large one is not uncommon for huge lava flows to occur at a location on the direct opposite side of the world, adding additional materiel to the atmosphere. The resulting Deccan lava flows covered an area of almost 200,000 square miles to a depth of 6000 feet, just a staggering number.

All this in a little layer un-noticed for centuries less than a 1/2 inch thick found by a father and son. Much goes unseen even by those looking.

One of the sites mentioned in the book is an Arkansas state park where you can dig for diamonds. This week a women digging for 20 minutes found a 3 carat diamond; the largest found there was a 16 carat diamond.

So much to know and see....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
NASA/JPL has this Near Earth Object Program that is trying to see if anything big is headed our way. So far so good, this table does not show that we are at risk:
Current Impact Risks
Geology and astronomy give us a great perspective when we pay attention to the time and distance scales. We are a little humble speck of dust in the universe.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
geology & diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In the Forward to the book the author indirectly writes of 'seeing better'. He describes an Italian road cut through limestone where there is a thin layer of red clay, less than a 1/2 inch thick that changed how the world perceived an important event, the extinction of the dinosaurs.

This little previously un-studied layer contained soot and Iridium proving that 65 million years ago a then undiscovered meteor impact had killed off the dinosaur population (plus other species) allowing the ascent of mammals and man.

The presence of soot should a virtually world wide fire had occurred loading the atmosphere with particles from the impact and soot. The presence of Iridium, an element normally not present in soil but ample in asteroids, indicated an impact.

When an asteroid strikes the earth, particularly a large one is not uncommon for huge lava flows to occur at a location on the direct opposite side of the world, adding additional materiel to the atmosphere. The resulting Deccan lava flows covered an area of almost 200,000 square miles to a depth of 6000 feet, just a staggering number.

All this in a little layer un-noticed for centuries less than a 1/2 inch thick found by a father and son. Much goes unseen even by those looking.

One of the sites mentioned in the book is an Arkansas state park where you can dig for diamonds. This week a women digging for 20 minutes found a 3 carat diamond; the largest found there was a 16 carat diamond.

So much to know and see....
That diamond made big news around Arkansas-area!
We have a book called Roadside Geology of Missouri, but I guess I did not put it away it when we returned, so located it here:

Robot Check